Tags:
  1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Science Fiction Commercials

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Aug 18, 2008.

On the Sci Fi Channel, they have created these, well, sci-fi commercials for fictitious products that come from the town (and show) of super geniuses called Eureka. These commercials have a tie-in to Degree antiperspirant.

They're funny and clever… to me.

Now, here’s the real question. Does anyone remember a similar gag of fictitious commercials that were created and aired to look like real commercials for real products during the 80’s sci-fi show Alien Nation? (Complete with Tenctonese actors.)

Am I alone here?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nope. I remember them, but only in a general sense, not specific products. I felt that Fox pulled the plug on that show way too quickly, especially in light of some of the swill they put on that escapes the axe.

3. Wreybies

Ok, good. I thought myabe I was koo-koo for Coco Puffs.

Yeah, I don't remember the products either. I think maybe there was one for some kind of headache pills for Tectonese Newcomers.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I wasn't around in the 80s, so I'm afraid I don't remember it. But it sounds interesting. An early viral marketing campaign.

5. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I wasn't around either, so I'm not really sure. :D

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Thanks a lot Wrey . . . ruined a perfectly good evening by reminding me how old I am. LOL

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Thinking back, I don't remember for sure now whether the Aline Nation commercials were aired outside the show, or were only embedded in the show. The robocop movies also had some entertaining embedded commercials.

8. Wreybies

Oooops! :D Sorry, Saulty. :redface:

I was watching Eureka on the DVR and the comercial popped up and created this itch of a hint of a memory. Like something you can't remember if you did yourself or if you saw in a movie. I tried digging back, but it just wouldn't solidify for me. I even youtubed it and got nothing.

Alien Nation was an awesome show. There were some gaping plot holes which I had a hard time with (salt water would catastrophicly kill a Tenctonese, but they could happily engage in intimate behavior with sweaty humans.) Overall, I thought it was great. There were obviously Russians involved in the creation of the Newcomer language for the show. I spoted Russian words all the time.

*Watching it today also tends to cause, for me, the wonderfully strange feeling that I'm watching an alien version of Breakin' II - Electric Boogaloo*

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    ^ anyone remember half-shirts for fellahs? OMG! How 'bout a pair of awesome Z Cavaricci acid washed, pastel colored, pleated jeans with belt loops for two belts and lapel flaps to flip over the front... for guys!

9. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Okay, those pictures are just creepy.

10. Wreybies

For the old farts (me) on the site, they’re just embarrassing, and maybe a little nostalgic. :rolleyes: