1. Subject24

Subject24 Member

Writers Reference Manuel/Scripts???

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Subject24, Jul 1, 2018.

Question..

Is there any one stop reference for story writing?
    I mean like a book, website, or program that gives you all the things a writer would want to have for quick reference.

Stuff like character names, character types/tropes, adjective lists(for setting description, post/pre dialogue, character description, so on.) He said "" she said "" lists...

Stuff like that?

Just a whole bunch of different scripts dedicated to writers reference?

I know that they have books in the stores that help with character development, setting, and a number of books on writing in general. But I've never seen just a plain good reference book... Do they exist?
    I have a feeling also that these sorts of thing are definitely given in private writing programs, or college classes.. But I've never been to any, and am not sure they would..

Anybody seen anything like what I'm talking about? Or heard of a program that has these things?

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

It's probably worth checking out The Elements of Style by E.B. White and William Strunk Jr. It might be the kind of thing you are looking for. It's definitely a book many writers have used.

3. noobienieuw

noobienieuw Banned

One stop? No.

A few stops for sure. Depends how much detail you need, and how wide a view.

My college classes on writing were useless.

This is the most complete site I have found:
    https://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/novel-planning.html

The snowflake method is probably the easiest to start with
    https://bubblecow.com/blog/see-how-easily-you-can-write-a-novel-using-the-snowflake-method
    or the original by the author of the book
    https://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  4. Subject24

Subject24 Member

No that's not what I mean.. Not a book to teach me how to write.
    Im talking about a reference script that helps with sentence wording, names, plot scene examples and so on.

Just a whole bunch of reference documents basically. Or a book that has those sorts of lists.

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I don't know if a book like this would be possible, or at least practical. There are countless ways to word sentences, and even more possible scenes. The task of a writer is to come up with their own sentences and scenes.

I may be misunderstanding what you mean. Can you give us a scenario of how you imagine using this book?

What I'm seeing is perhaps something like:

"OK, I want two main characters. Where's a list of possible relationships? OK, here's the list. We've got lovers, spouses, friends, siblings, twins, employee-and-boss, employee-and employee, waitress-and-customer... I'm going to choose friends."

"Now, how do I arrange for them to meet? Here's the Possible Meetings for Friends list. We've got members of the same sports team, met at a movie theater, coworkers, siblings of married couple...that sounds interesting. I'm going to choose siblings of married couple."

Is that what you have in mind? I don't think that anything like that exists.

6. noobienieuw

noobienieuw Banned

Well there are sites with templates. And sites with formatting help. And sites with sample scripts.
    Never saw anything on sentence wording other than some grammar books, but certainly no reference list.
    There are books on naming characters. And there are book on scenes and plot and any specific aspect you want to learn about.

But a one stop shopping reference AFAIK does not exist and likely never will.

I am having some trouble of what sorts of lists you are referring to.
    Could you be more explicit as to what type of help you are looking for with a reference book or list.

Are you writing an AI program to automatically generate scripts/novels ??

Shenanigator likes this.
  7. Subject24

Subject24 Member

Right on, that's exactly what I mean. Stuff like that.

To the last question,.. no. I don't know anything about programming or anything more in depth than the computers desktop screen.

But I am looking for a one stop shop. So far I've found a few lists online with adjective lists, and other tools(name lists). But nothing that covers really allot of the things I feel could and would be covered by some sort of program, or class, or author...

I've already made it a point to myself to create some reference scripts of my own... I just wanted to know if someone might already have the work done for me

8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm confused as to why you want this? I struggle to imagine that a novel written with heavy dependence on this sort of assistance would be publishable. Is there another goal?

Shenanigator and noobienieuw like this.
  9. noobienieuw

noobienieuw Banned

AFAIK there is no one spot to get all that info from.

There are many one-off references that have most of them.

10. Subject24

Subject24 Member

Thanks for the help guys! I'm going to keep my eyes open, but in the meantime I think I'll just manage on my own.
    I just posted a new question in this forum. Feel free to answer, i would definitely appreciate it

11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I probably have the most organic answer of the lot.
    Read a ton of stuff you like in the genre(s) you are
    writing (watching well written movies helps to a
    point). And having a good dictionary and thesaurus
    handy.

Cause when you break down those How to Write books,
    it is more or less a well known author telling you how
    to write like them. Which is fine if you want to have a
    slightly higher chance of getting traditional published,
    but it won't sound like you, cause it will sound like them.

And for more normal (well human names that are realistic),
    I just basically search for lists of baby names by gender, and
    then by origin if they happen to be from a different country
    from my own. I make up all of my Fantasy/Sci-fi names off
    the top of my head, or I ask for a bit of help to get the most
    unique names possible. Also Google Translate is a great tool. :)

Wikipedia, and Urban dictionary are good places to gain quick
    info on things you need to research or for slang. Though I have
    at times used the Military websites for some things to keep with
    the realism.
    You might also try and find people with real life exp. to help you
    out if you can find them, to write more realistic professional
    characters.
    I do a lot of general research to get the most bang for my time,
    when I do research to get the best points of accuracy that I can
    get.

It is also a good idea to use the forum here to gain some interesting
    and varied views on things, as well as joining a local writing group.
    Good Luck. :superidea:

12. noobienieuw

noobienieuw Banned

I am not sure how writing with their process makes you sound like them. Please elaborate on your thinking.

From what I see it merely helps you write faster, better , easier , but your voice is still yours.

Cave Troll likes this.
  13. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    It is a personal opinion, that famous people tell others how to do something
    to get them to think they can be famous too if they only follow their formula.
    It just doesn't breed the creativity to create your own works, and learn your
    style and voice.
    The best way to write is to simply write, get critiques, write, and edit like you
    are going through your own personal hell. Then when you think you have gotten
    it just the way you like it, get the whole manuscript Beta read by a few readers,
    then change or fix things that you feel would help your manuscript based upon
    their thoughts and opinions. Once that is all done, decide on how you are going
    to publish it and market it, cause either way you are doing 90-100% marketing.
    And that is basically the secret to writing a novel or anything really.
    (Just try and avoid plot holes and continuity errors.) :p

14. noobienieuw

noobienieuw Banned

What I see is that the formulas are all very generic and have little to do with how the writers voice comes through.

I don't see any promises of fame, merely a guide to help the beginner find his way to write something and finish it.

The creativity comes in defining the actual events. 'MC has problem' is not enough to bias anything.

Clearly you are a pantser if you say just write. Well many of us can't just write. And we welcome a roadmap that helps us learn.
    As to avoiding plot errors it seems IMHO far easier to plan in advance and remove them when you are at a high level looking over the roadmap,
    then when you are down in the weeds with tonnes of verbiage slowing down the hunt for problems.

Agree that the real work is the marketing and promotion. But if you don't have something to promote at all then that is irrelevant.