1. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

Anyone Else Get Extremely Tired...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Wild Knight, Feb 28, 2014.

... When working on a big project?

Lately, I've found myself getting tired at around 8:30 p.m., and shortly after, I get so tired that I can't concentrate on writing at hand, and I drop down at 9:30... and last night, I went to bed a few minutes after it turned nine.

That's how I know I seem to be on the right track, but damn it, it's annoying! I don't have a particularly busy schedule most of the time, but I find myself sleepy just the same. It just happens every time I work on a huge project. Is this normal for anyone here as well, or is it just me?

2. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Nah... happens to me too. I find it's worse in the winter but once the light starts picking up in spring, I get a bit of a boost.

I do tend to write at odd hours at any rate, and rarely keep to a tightly bound schedule.

If it's early evening and I'm lagging, I set my alarm, and sleep for two hours. No matter how tired I feel when I wake, I get up, have a cup of coffee and spend the next several hours writing. The writing seems to chase the caffeine out of my system pretty quickly, and when I'm ready for bed, I tend to sleep like a baby.

I'm lucky, though...I've no immediate responsibilities, so I can pick and choose the times to write that suit me.

3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Intellectual effort is even more exhausting than physical effort. I find that taking some vitamins (esp Vit D if I'm indoors a lot or it's winter, but also B vitamins especially B12), drinking lots of water and taking frequent breaks to walk around in fresh air, help boost the energy levels during tough projects.

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  4. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

I am SO guilty of not drinking lots of water. I just consume tea a lot, but the caffeine in that burns right through me when I'm working on my current project, anyway. Even coffee and Mountain Dew doesn't help with that.

So walk around, consume vitamins... duly noted. I just hope I don't keep crashing; that could end up delaying me.

5. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Yes I do get tired, but I've never been so constantly tired as when I was writing my first novel. It was exhausting! Of course I had no idea of mental exhaustion in school, because, well, why would I? ;) So it really hit me, but it was a great feeling. It means you're working hard at something, and usually that you're enjoying it. It's a good thing! :)

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  6. KatieValino

KatieValino Member

I tend to be a night owl with my creativity, but i do find myself getting knackered pretty early at night, (could be work though). It makes my brain melt when i have been working on something for too long :3

7. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

When I use my brain, for intense writing or editing, I seriously feel like I have a concussion. I can't concentrate and I dare not drive! Mentally WIPED OUT. And then I crash. I sleep so hard it is unbelievable.

8. mg357

mg357 Active Member

Yes as a matter of fact I do.