1. Miss_E

Miss_E New Member

help on writing university assignment

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Miss_E, Jan 20, 2011.

hello there!!

I am currently writing a childrens book for a university project and stuck on finding the middle of the story.

I have the beginning and the end..

A little girl finds a family of spiders under the stairs and it terrified of them..Somewhere in the middle the spiders and little girl become friends! The ending - The family of spiders move into the girls dolls house because she becomes friends with them.
    Any ideas many thanks!! x
    :D

2. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

The girl saves them from pesticide?

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

What age group is it before and how scary can it be ?

4. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

How about some evil mosquitoes arrive and start attacking the girl and her family. The spiders get all the creatures and so the home is a nice place again. The girl wants the spiders to have a nice home too instead of under the dirty steps and gives them the doll house. Meanwhile, the Spiders insist on keeping an outpost under the steps to guard against future attacks.

Also, it could be moist under the steps and that's where the mosquitoes came from.

Theme: It's the old "Crazy scary and violent people can be useful" because that's what spider represent, kind of like soldiers. Soldiers are needed because there's bad people out in the world. Spiders tend to attack other insects and not humans while mosquitoes are a human parasite.

5. Is it just me who kind of gets annoyed at this type of question? Her first post is one which is her asking others to think for her . . . and once you give her ideas she's not coming back. Maybe I am over reacting, but I just think you should figure it out yourself. It's not that difficult.

6. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

I get a little annoyed at the not coming back thing. I feel like I'm beaming messages into space.

7. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

What would Aliens think if they stumbled onto our Internet before coming to Earth... See this is probably why we haven't been visited!

Here is how I would do it:

Middle: The spiders do something to help the little girl. This is when they become friends

Ending: The little girl helps protect the spiders from something. This is when at the end they move into the doll house.

What they are I dunno. Also this is your assignment so you should be the one coming up with ideas.

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Hi Miss_E,

I see this is your first post on WF. :) Welcome. I'll tell you that most people react somewhat harshly to this type of post; this board is for assistance with a specific plot kink, not for helping you generate your overall story ideas. That's your job.

However, because you're new here and working on an assignment (are you a writer on your own time, or only for this?) I don't mind helping you out a bit.

The others have given pretty good ideas; another potential idea is somehow the girl gets shrunk (think Alice and Wonderland, but don't have it happen by her eating an "eat me" cookie) and the spiders are kind and help her get back to normal. Her experience could put her through the same problems the spiders face and help her relate to their lives.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you really should have checked out the site's rules and regs, before jumping in with a plea for help in your first post...

and it might even not be allowed, so be prepared to have the thread shut down, if that's the case, till you introduce yourself and do what's required...

if the suggestions here aren't useful enough, since it's for a university project and not elementary or high school homework, you can email me for help with your assignment, as i both write children's books and mentor aspiring writers of same...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

10. albrnsmith

albrnsmith New Member

HI,
    I think you need to consider the attention of your readers. Simply stating something is fine, but when you need to detain attention ....?

11. Miss_E

Miss_E New Member

Dear responses!!
    After a busy week teaching I am Back!
    Sorry for not replying sooner other commitments took hold of me and I was unable to get internet access!

My story is a childrens literature assignment and I as a trainee teacher I have to come up with a story for young children to enjoy.

<age choice of my own chosen 5-7>
    My storys being made to try to get children to be less scared of spiders living in their home!

Thanks for your ideas! x x