1. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Specific Plot Book Suggestions

Discussion in 'Research' started by ToBeInspired, Sep 22, 2016.

Edit: [I want book titles for suggested reading containing one or more of the items listed below]

I'm currently interested in certain topics to better formulate ideas on my own WIP. All I'm looking for are some titles to add my reading list that include certain premises.

1) Artificial Intelligence
    2) Augmented Reality
    3) Virtual Reality
    4) Introduction of Advanced Knowledge/Science in More Primitive Time Period
    5) Alternative Educational Systems
    6) Alternate Forms of Governments

And yes, I tried simply searching for them. Unfortunately I do not find my Kindle Unlimited user friendly. Have read quite a few, but I know there's a ton more not showing up in my search results.

Much Appreciation,
    ToBeInspired

Edit: I already have ALL my titles figured out for the series. Hopefully that clarifies things a bit. Why would I ask someone to come up with my title?...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    cydney likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

seriously you want title suggestions :eek:

You won't get far writing a book if you don't have the imagination to come up withat least a title

3. ToBeInspired

As in titles of books to read. I already have a title for my WIP.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

5. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Right now I'm reading The Mechanical by Ian Tregillis. I'm about 300 pages in and would definitely recommend it. It's the first of a trilogy apparently, I'll probably buy the others. The MC is a robot in the Victorian-ish era (don't remember ever stating a date) and he gains freewill which threatens the system, etc, etc.

6. ToBeInspired

I read that book. Didn't realize it was a trilogy... going to look into the other two in the series. It's possible he had only written the first book when I read it though.

7. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

@ToBeInspired

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
    Neuromancer by William Gibson
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sleep? by Phillip K Dick
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

And here are some links

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-essential-cyberpunk-reading-list-1714180001

http://best-sci-fi-books.com/23-best-cyberpunk-books/

I tried searching some more recent cyberpunk and got this http://www.nickcolebooks.com/2016/06/28/the-best-cyberpunk-noir-thriller-of-the-year/

Also of course check out other books from the authors I mentioned above. I'll admit cyberpunk-sci-fi aren't the genres I know the best. But hope I did help! :)

8. ToBeInspired

Thanks for the suggestions, doesn't have to be Cyberpunk though. Fantasy, sci-fi, horror, or whatever.

9. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

I suggest not just reading books in those subjects, but industry news or industry publications in those subjects as well. Some of my best story ideas have come from combinations of recent research/news stories and other stories that weren't even close to what I wound up writing about. That lets the mind wander a bit to come at your ideas fresh. I could mention that some past works, such as Snow Crash, although great also could contain future concepts thirty years old or more so I would suggest taking into account, becuase a 30's era book, Brave new world, is one of my suggestions for your last two areas of subject. Quite valid today.

10. cydney

cydney Banned

I hope you find what you're looking for. Your premises sound really interesting and current. Virtual Reality is always interesting to me. A friend recently introduced me to HoloLens by Microsoft. It's just a game now but I think we should expect to see more from it.