1. BajaAsh

BajaAsh New Member

Other Nonfiction Writers?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by BajaAsh, Apr 10, 2012.

Hey :)

I wondered if anyone else hereabouts likes writing nonfiction. I write a lot of "X Things You Didn't Know About Y" and things like that for my blog (I like researching trivia like that. ^^). Anyone else? :)

-Ash

2. Corybobory

Corybobory New Member

Hi Ash,

Although I'm a struggling blog writer (I have one but suffer from short uninteresting posts lol), I do enjoy researching and writing non-fiction!

I finished my Masters degree 3 years ago and have yet to start a PhD, but in the meantime have tried to keep writing about my research interests and submitting abstracts to conferences etc. I've managed to co-author a full paper that was published in a conference proceedings, but other than a few other abstracts there's not much else. I find it really hard without being a part of a department with access to journals etc :(

How do you choose topics to write about? How do you research them? :)

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as i'm a practicing philosopher, my writings are almost exclusively non-fiction now, ash...

4. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

I write non-fiction a lot -- I like writing in general, so I basically write about anything... Especially because I have this thing where I am always in the mood to write, but not always in the mood to write fiction.

5. BajaAsh

BajaAsh New Member

My topics really just come to me randomly. I have a big interest in linguistics--stormy nights will find me trawling through Wikipedia pages on Creole languages--and sometimes I'll stumble across an interesting bit a of trivia and decide to research more about it. :) I generally go to sites like PBS and Nat Geo, because they usually have links to other sources as well. ^^

Cassiopeia, I know that feeling. >< Frustrating. :p

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I do. I'm published as a journalist, among other things.

Other than that I write reviews, overviews of topics, political essays, and philosophical essays. A good chunk of this can be found on my blog, on this site, aside from my philosophical essays which I'm keeping very close to my chest right now for various reasons.