1. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

My MC changes

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Thundair, Jun 25, 2019.

I started writing a short story about a misfit young girl that was placed in a teenager Boot Camp and that was the end. But it didn't end there, a Cartel kidnapped her as they recognized her father as the COO of the Cartel who ran off with the money when the government raided them ten years ago.
    Now he has become the main character that was living the high life in Rancho Santa Fe. The daughter becomes secondary to his fight for her freedom and his life.
    My question is: Can I drive on as she becomes of less importance or should I show the conflict that he has with the Cartel and make her kidnapping a back story?

2. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

Since this is a short story not a novel, will you have time to fully develop the two characters and separate stories? I don't see why it couldn't work but something in the back of my brain is saying 'caution, stick with the one'. If you're not pushed for time it might be interesting to try both ways!

Thundair likes this.
  3. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Sounds like you need to focus on her just enough to get readers invested, then transition to the father at the kidnapping and just keep tabs on her.

Thundair likes this.
  4. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

I believe it has legs to be a novel. I already like the disgruntled antagonist feeling it left them high and dry when the government shut them down. This particular Cartel stole oil and gas in Mexico and were called huachicoleros. The president Andrés Manuel López Obrador had declared war on them and put a few in jail. The rest scattered to the states and bought high end homes just outside San Diego. That is where my story starts.

ETA I posted a portion of the story on novel workshop. All help is appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Maverick_nc likes this.
  5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I am a true believer that a lot can be done in a short story so I don't see that as a problem. That being said, a story needs to be grounded and have focus no matter the length. I will say that sometimes we, as writers, sort of write our way into a story. Maybe your shift in focus and main character mean you are figuring out what your real story is.

Maverick_nc and Thundair like this.