Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magus

Magus Banned

Please Read, Floating Anxiety

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Magus, Oct 7, 2019.

I was just outside walking the dogs, when I looked up to take in a view of the stars. I immediately felt as if something was wrong, and that if I didn't grab hold of something I would float up into space. The feeling still hasn't gone away, and getting home was extremely scary. Each step threatened to uproot my feet permenantly from solid Earth and to my death in the sky. I had to pull up on the dogs leashes to ground myself. The only time I remember feeling this was when I smoked weed over a decade ago and went star gazing. The feeling has occurred before since then, but only for brief moments, and its never lasted this long. I'm getting extreme panic thinking about going back outside. The trigger was the sky, and it's not like I can ignore it.

I've been googling like crazy, and have only found one short article describing what I'm feeling, but it's not exactly what I feel. Does anyone know what this could be?

https://mentalhealthtalk.info/2011/05/08/floating-anxiet/n

Some Guy likes this.
  2. Magus

Magus Banned

This seems to be the most accurate description. Not what I needed right now. The feeling still hasn't subsided, the only thing I can think to do right now is go back outside and just stare at the sky for as long as I can, immunize myself. I feel like if I do I'll start screaming at the top of my lungs from panic.

For anyone else who may have had a similar feeling, case closed, we're fucked.

Some Guy likes this.
  3. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Take a look at inner-ear articles. Vertigo has forms. You lift your head to look at the sky which can certainly cause vertigo. Try looking with a mirror. Try a dark room and look up?
    The thing about anxiety is triggers. The condition in the brain exists long before an episode. The trigger simply causes the mind to associate it with immediate awareness. My key to this is to remember it was already happening before the incident. Look at info on paranoia (for process).
    For me, Prozac is still king.

Magus and Shenanigator like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Interesting to know the word for this, I've felt it myself from time to time. However, we don't do mental health / anxiety issues here as none of us can prove that we're qualified, and anyone who was wouldn't attempt to diagnose or treat over the internet.

:closed:

Some Guy and Shenanigator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.