1. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Universe Creation

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by LionofPerth, Oct 2, 2007.

Okay, not so much novel, but game related.

Just so you know I like to write table top games, or develop. Now I have a couple on the books, I'll try to explain the way it works.

Crash and Burn is the anti grav F1 type racing league, thousands of planets, thousands of courses, basically you get to build your own track each time you play.

Mech combat is like a mechanical version of Gladiators, basically teams of people in robots shooting the crap out of each other.

The main universe is called Total COnflict, divided into Ground Control for ground based games, and Fleet COmbat for the fleet engagements.

The main universe has the two games Mech combat and Crash and Burn as their sports, their equivalent of the NFL/NBL/AFL/EPL/ARL/whatever your local football/basketball/whatever code is.

Do you think this is a good idea?

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Are these table top role playing games, table top miniature games, or something different? Need a few more details before I can say anything for certain.

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

It sounds like a really good idea to me but like Domoviye, I would like a little more information before I give you my open opinion on this.

4. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Table top, the only type of games I write.

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Ok is it miniatures or pen and paper, or a combo of the two like Necromunda?

6. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Table top=minitures, if it was pen and paper I would have said so.

I guess I see game alittle differently, pen and paper for me means no models, while tabletop means models and occasionally a log sheet of sorts.

7. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Ok. I've been in RPG's for years and have heard lots of different ways of saying it, so I just wanted complete confirmation.
    This could work. The Mech game would be competing in a very crowded market though.
    The racing game is more unique and might be looked at more favourably by game companies. .
    Right now with the info you gave, this is about all I can say.

8. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Doing my own publishing under my own study, as for the mech one, if you can, think of a cross over between Chrome Hounds and MechCommander and you'd be in the same bull park, but still pretty far away.

The whole point of that game is to allow people the ability to build their own teams, like a team of gladiators, and duke it out with other people, all in the name of light fluffy fun.

Where as Crash and Burn is to be the more serious, like the modern F1 series.

The thing is if I do tie them in, I can create characters and corporation names etc that link the two games, which hopefully gets more people interested in the other settings/universes/whatever, I'm not quite sure.

9. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

That could be cool.
    I'd say go for it. Focus first on the racing game though. If it's done well, it should draw peoples attention to you. Again not many racing type games out there.
    Mech's are fairly common, so make references to it in the rules book, but wait to see the reaction so that you can judge if it will be a good idea or not. That should save you some money and let's you put focus more attention on just one part rather then dividing your time and resources which is usually bad.

10. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

I know, that's the system that are under more active development.

11. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Sorry that was kind of pointing out the blindingly obvious wasn't it.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't apologize for pointing out the blindingly obvious. It wouldn't be the first time that someone tripped over the elephant in the living room!

Sometimes people do lose sight of the obvious, depending on how meandering a trail they may have followed from point A to point B to begin with.

13. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Well, as I said, under more active development, so I do have other projects in the wings.

I need to just sit down and start working on them again, except for the fact I am testing one system and that takes all of my time...