1. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

Improper?

Discussion in 'Writing Contests' started by Prometheus, Feb 20, 2010.

Would it be consider improper to enter any of my short stories in the contest even though I haven't done any "constructive" what-have-yous.

I do intend on being a constructive member here even if it's just in a supportive role, but I really don't think I'm made of the stuff necessary to be a critic.

2. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

The SSCs are not fill participation. Feel free to enter away at any time. (Just be sure to read all the entries and vote!)

Please don't be that guy who votes for his own poem/story. We all think that our stuff is the greatest, but often our own egos are clouding our better judgment. To be a cool guy and also fair, try to vote for someone else (even if they are only second best).

Regarding critiques, don't worry about skill. Just jump in and start doing them. Most any feed back is helpful to the writer and you will get better at it along the way. In fact, finding problems in OTHER people's work will make your own writing much better. Seriously, give it a try.

3. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

Great, I'm glad to hear it. I wanted to be more cautious after stepping on toes right away.
    I'm going to have to confiscate your pirate T-shirt. ;)

Since I haven't had anything published by anyone except myself who am I to offer style/plot advice.....and if this post doesn't showcase my grammar/spelling faults go look at some others. On the other hand, your theory about growing though critiques (there's that damn word) has a lot of validity and I'll make an effort. Thanks.

4. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

My wife suggested this, but I'm not such a **** to actually do it. However it's funny enough I thought I'd post it here in The Lounge.

* What can be improved: All of it.
    * Where there are specific instances that illustrate the problem: Paragraph !,2,3,4,5.
    * Why you feel it needs improvement: I vomited in my shoe.
    * How you would suggest making the improvement: Take your typewriter to the recycling bin.
    * Why you feel your recommended changes work better: If you didn't have a typewriter, the world would be a better placed.

Norfolk nChance likes this.
  5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Good thing you wouldn't actually post that as a critique. The 4th and 5th lines would earn you an infraction for insulting other members. We critique the writing, not the writers.

6. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

Would this be better? ;)

* What can be improved: All of it.
    * Where there are specific instances that illustrate the problem: Paragraph !,2,3,4,5.
    * Why you feel it needs improvement: I vomited in my shoe.
    * How you would suggest making the improvement: Lighter fluid and a match.
    * Why you feel your recommended changes work better: My septic tank is almost full.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Trust me, you don't want to find out.