1. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Antagonist background

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by LoaDyron, Oct 28, 2018.

Hello everyone, I am bringing one of my ideas to an antagonist that is in my head for a while.

His basic core is friendship. Now what I thought is he being the right hand of the emperor for a long time. When the country had a war he called him to aid but was rejected. Why? Because members of the emperor were in thereat, or maybe his daughter was as a hostage. On that same day, he saw his best friends dying and that was a trigger for him to start hatting the emperor. As he planned for years to kill him so the country could have different bright future, he meets a new person that shared the same ideologies as him. Together they defeat the emperor and he became one. When his new friend departs he never heard of him since then.

I am afraid this may come as a chicle, or if still an idea to work on. What suggestions do you offer?

2. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

I think you need to add more to his hatred of the emperor. The friend dying could be a starter or the stick that broke the camel's back. But maybe fill that out a little more. You could look at the 3 parts of a negative story arc and write him a backstory that fits either a disillusionment, the fall arc, or the corruption arc - I did this with my villain just to make sure he felt real (I didn't start him off at the beginning in my story but made sure he got progressively more evil throughout).
    Give him a lie - something he believes about himself or the world and have him cling to that lie and reject the truth when it comes to him.
    Try to avoid giving him a sob story as it's a tool writer's have become dependant on for getting readers to sympathy with their antagonist and then don;t bother fleshing them out anymore.

LoaDyron likes this.
  3. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

A spellchecker :supercheeky:.
    Your story sounds fine. It's a revenge story, good as any. It's what you do with (it when you actually start writing) that matters.

LoaDyron likes this.
  4. LoaDyron

Yeah, next time I will use a spellchecker.

5. LoaDyron

Thanks a lot for your advice :D. This gave me a lot of insight.

6. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

Wrong thread? Edit

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018