1. RightWrite

RightWrite Active Member

Medical Mysteries vs. Medical Thillers?

Discussion in 'Crime, Thriller & Action' started by RightWrite, Dec 3, 2020.

What are the differences between medical mysteries and medical thrillers? Do they both have elements of solving a puzzle and restoring order, and is a medical thriller more of a thrill than an intellectual exercise? Some medical mystery novel blurbs have elements of a thriller, and both seem to be clumped together in online articles. I can't find anything that clearly explains the difference between the two. For example, they are both frequently listed as a mystery subgenre under "Medical Mystery/Thriller", hence the question.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Do you mean "medical" mysteries? Title says "medial," but i can fix that if you like.

3. RightWrite

RightWrite Active Member

Yes, I meant medical. I've edited it. Thanks.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Well, the way I look at it, it would be the same as the difference between a mystery and a thriller, but set in the medical world.

If you've ever seen House (I think the original title was Dr. House MD or something) that's a medical mystery show. Greg House is essentially Sherlock Holmes in the modern world, but he's put his brilliant (but misanthropic) mind specifically to work on medical puzzles no-one else can solve. I guess sometimes there are somewhat thriller-esque things going on—the need to solve the mysterious symptoms before the patient dies (like a countdown) etc. But it isnt presented in the exciting manner of a thriller. It's much more down-to-earth, built on subtleties rather than excitement and last -second escapes.

Lifeline and montecarlo like this.
  5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Off topic, but when I say this phrase out loud I always seem to end up putting in an extra syllable: "I editeded it." Ok, back to your regularly programmed scheduling. :p

6. RightWrite

RightWrite Active Member

That makes sense. Thanks.

Xoic likes this.