1. Bookmommy

Bookmommy New Member

Ideas on fantasy novels written in third person?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Bookmommy, Dec 6, 2010.

I hope this is the right forum to put this..I am having trouble writing in third person, and was looking for authors I could study..I have heard the Harry Potter and Stephen Donaldson are written that way, and maybe the JD Robb "In Death" series but I want to be sure..
    Thanks!

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Phillip Pullman's 'His dark materials' - I didn't get to finish it but I know I loved his style of writing very much.
    Most Fantasy books are written in third person so It shouldn't be hard to find lots :)

3. TobiasJames

TobiasJames New Member

If you are attempting to write a fantasy novel without having read many fantasy books, then I'd pull on the reigns a little and listen to those alarm bells ringing first.

Writing a fantasy when you've just "heard that Harry Potter is written that way" ... that's really quite something. :)

4. darthjim

darthjim New Member

Most books are written in third-person. From a fantasy perspective, hit up the classics (Tolkien, Robin Hobb, Donaldson etc.) before even contemplating jumping into the genre. It really, really helps to know what's out there, what works and what doesn't before you start writing. It could save you many hours (even weeks) of work further down the line.

To be honest, I'd just read anything and everything (not just fantasy) if you're wanting to start writing. All experience is good experience, as they say.

All the best with your writing!

5. Celia.

Celia. New Member

I;m currently changing my whole fantasy novel into first person and it works amazingly better! If you're having trouble with third, try first :)

6. Bookmommy

Bookmommy New Member

well, I guess I should have expounded into what I meant :p ..I have read a lot of fantasy novels, and I know they are written(most of them) in third person, what I suppose I was asking was deeper..which ones are GOOD examples of third person and omniscent versus limited. Harry Potter is popular and sells, but I don't know whether a lot of people consider that "good" writing.

7. Celia.

Celia. New Member

jk rowling created a universe. i wouldn't call it good writing, just good story telling

8. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

What are you having trouble with specifically?

9. Bookmommy

Bookmommy New Member

Having trouble with a couple things..

In third person how is it best to state what someone is thinking? Should their actions be in past or present tense, or doesn't it matter?
    Is this correct? I have overthought way too much today, I know this should be simple..

She watched the people scurrying around below in the pristine snow that was becoming more soiled with every car pulling into the lot and dented from peoples careless footprints and sighed, wondering grumpily why it was that beauty never lasted, especially the first snowfall of the year