1. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Novel Your thoughts on autobiographical novels

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Alesia, Nov 14, 2013.

What are your thoughts on reading a novel written in the style of a memoir, (Dickens David Copperfield comes to mind) yet it is in part or wholly fictional?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I have no problem with that. What matters is whether it's interesting. If it's interesting, great. If it's boring, not great. The memoir form doesn't enter into it.

Steerpike likes this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I suppose any novel written in first person will come into that category? It's a very popular category. I don't think I could write one of these myself, but I do like to read them. And David Copperfield is my favourite of Dickens' novels.

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I think a lot of novels are written this way. There's a saying that "All fiction is autobiography," and I think it is true to an extent. Obviously, some novels are more autobiographical than others, but there are a few that are very, very close to what an author has experienced himself. I think they often make very compelling stories.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't actually have 'thoughts on' such works... i read fiction constantly... i either like what i read, or i don't... the reasons for either will vary...

6. LeighAnn

LeighAnn Member

I just had to pop in and say David Copperfield is my favorite novel of all time. I have nothing useful to add to the discussion, but I love Dickens.

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  7. L.T.

L.T. New Member

I have no problem with the memoir form. Even if I did, I agree with Minstrel. As long as it is interesting, I can overlook the style.

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

One of my favorite series of novels is autobiographical - C.P. Snow's Strangers and Brothers series. The key is that he is not always the main character, but he is engaged in what is happening. My favorite of the series, for a variety of reasons, is the fourth in the series, The Masters. One does not have to have read the preceding three works in the series to enjoy it, but it adds a little to the depth of the character of Lewis Elliot.

Like most of those who have already posted, the fact that a novel is autobiographical in nature is not a determining factor in whether I will enjoy it or not.

9. Siena

Siena Senior Member

Not sure what you're getting at. I don't have a problem reading that.