1. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Only Six Plots?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sack-a-Doo!, Jul 9, 2016.

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

One of those stupid soundbites that doesn't mean anything. If you reduce all of literature enough you could come up with one "plot" but what would that teach us about writing the next good book? Nothing.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I like the one comment on that site:

4. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Ha, jokes on them, my book is fall-rise-fall-flat line for a bit-fall suddenly and terribly. Don't see that listed there! :D
    But seriously, trying to group things is an annoying thing that humans like to do, even when things also have vastly different qualities. I agree with @jannert that you group anything any way you like and you have found nothing except what you expected to find.

jannert likes this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

They forgot "fall flat." Glad somebody remembered that one.

6. Sack-a-Doo!

I agree, except this wasn't just a sound bite. It was a full-blown scientific study with linguists and everything... or maybe it was physicists because they got it completely wrong. Also, I think they got the idea from Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s story shapes video which he did as a humorous way to illustrate storytelling.

And they only ventured into the field of storytelling because Sheldon Cooper once said that physicists understand everything. Apparently, he was just full of himself.

7. Sack-a-Doo!

Now that's science. It doesn't shed any light on anything, but it's definitely science. ;)

8. Sack-a-Doo!

Unless we're talking about dark matter or dark energy. Then it's highly unlikely we'll find anything we're looking for because we're looking in the wrong place.

One scientist said the current experiments designed to find dark matter/energy are like a drunk looking for lost car keys under the nearest street lamp because he won't have a hope of finding anything in the dark patches.

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I recently learned that honeybees can count, but only to four. I wonder if some of the "dark matter / dark energy" things might (might, not probably are) actually beyond our capability to comprehend. Since we're the intellectual high point of life on Earth to date, we often think that somehow, someday, we'll be able to figure it all out, but this might not be true.

Sack-a-Doo! and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  10. Sack-a-Doo!

And it might be particularly true in the case of dark matter/energy. I'm come to wonder if the universe isn't like the surface of a pond. Things bubble up from below (dark matter/energy) to create bubbles (stars, etc.) on the surface. And none of our instruments can work (or even see) below the surface.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Soooo, Cthulhu? Because if so, I'm in!

12. Sack-a-Doo!

Naw, that would imply that we can understand what it is! :)

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  13. BWriter

BWriter Member

My understanding is that there is only 6 or 7 basic narratives that all lierature follows. It seems small but that is just boiling stories down to their core. The sheer amount of work out there shows just how many ways these narratives can be worked and combined to create a near unlimited number of new and original stories. All literature is connected any way so in a way nobody will write anything new and everything written is original because it is a different take on something. I found that hard to take at first but after a while it became quite liberating because there is no pressure to be original any mor. Now I can just worry about telling a story my way, whether its been done before or not.

14. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I read the Christopher Booker book - The Seven Basic plots - it was interesting. Not that far a stretch from what I believe that most fiction is connected no matter than genre. All elements can be boiled down to the characters journey.

15. isaac223

isaac223 Senior Member

That all really depends on how you describe the particular plots.

Even then, based on what I've seen here, not only did they forget "Falling Flat" but they also seemed to write this assuming plots are all consistent in pacing, or the rising/falling of conflicts/other such arcs.

I mean, there can be something with a rise, a sudden flat-falling, gradually rising, dropping again, and just rising.

Separating books into 3 "acts" that represent rising or falling of conflicts/action isn't really an effective way to go about graphing "how many plots exist."

16. Sack-a-Doo!

My latest theory...

There is an infinite number of plots, but we only have seven ways to categorize them.