1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

What is this sentence structure called?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Mar 22, 2011.

I see this often but do not know what it is called:

Lets look at a few versions of a base sentence:
    The passive version would be:
    But I often see this formation:
    What is that formation called?

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

1) Active voice

2) Passive voice

3) It's not about voice--it's just that you've got an introductory participle phrase modifying the noun "the crowd".

3. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

C is f(A).

You could've done the same thing you did between A and C with B:
    D - The stadium was filled by the quickly moving crowd.

C is to A as D is to B.

4. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

This formation is called a dangling modifer, it is indicated by a clause partical (Moving quickly, is the dangling particle). The first part of the sentence hangs with the word "crowd," thus making it confusing to know what the sentence is, since there are no names mentioned. Sometimes, the reader can laugh at this sentece and ask if the stadium is moving quickly or the crowd. Knowing that the crowd have legs, then readers should know that you're refering to the crowd. (The last sentence I just wrote is a dangling modifer). I'm not sure if that's the question you're asking.

Here is an example that you fixed in my short story about the landlord

I think you corrected me in the first clause "Without taking action..." So the readers could say that the living room and the table were taking action, since the dangling modifer can modify Peter, living room, sofa, and otmeal. Therefore, the readers could choose which object is taking action and don't have to assume that Peter was the one taking action.

Other than that, I'm not sure about English, and I'm not good with it. lol

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

:D your posts always make me giggle. :) especially this kind of posts, and the one in the other thread yesterday. That was hilarious, lol.

6. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Thanks. :)

Now the question is, have I managed to answer the OP in a way that was useful by offering a different point of view? That only he can answer.

7. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    No it isn't. This structure can lead to dangling participles, but in this case the participle is perfectly correctly attached to "crowd" so nothing is dangling. A dangling participle is when the participle doesn't attach to the subject:
    *After inspecting a guard of honour, President Regan's motorcade moved into the centre of Moscow.​
    (BBC Radio 4)

President Regan's motorcade didn't inspect the guard of honour, President Regan did, so the participle is not (correctly) attached. That is a dangling (or "unattached" or "hanging") participle.

8. LordKyleOfEarth

Thanks everyone. I think Reggie gets the golden star sticker here. I just wanted to know what it was called; dangling modifier was the name I was looking for.

Thanshin, I do love the use of algebraic functions to express the point however. You get smiley face for above average work.

Everyone else good job too. Now, juice boxes and cookies for everyone and then off to nap-time!

9. digitig

No it isn't, because in the example you gave the modifier was not dangling. If it were it would be an error, but there was nothing wrong with the sentence you gave. It was a sentence in active voice with a participle premodifier. Nothing dangling.

10. LordKyleOfEarth

I agree, my example was bad, but I was looking for 'dangling modifier'. I've just done some more reading so I better understand (and can identify) the problem. Thanks everyone.

11. digitig

Ah, ok. I made the point because some people think that all participle premodifiers are bad (see a recent thread somewhere near here) and I think that's because some people can't tell whether they're dangling or not and lump them all in together.

12. esspweb

esspweb New Member

College Papers

Marina is absolutely right.

13. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Thanshin: I definately think so, you were right about what you said. You just have a funny way of saying things, hihi. You should use that comic ability in your writing, if you dont do that already. :)