1. TheMyst7885

TheMyst7885 Active Member

How do I explain my sci-fi action hero characters ancestry?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TheMyst7885, Jul 27, 2019.

This will be my first story written in a graphic novel style that I'm working really hard on. I planned this for a long time.

There will be a few different MC's each with their own story and background. The trouble I'm having is trying to establish these characters backgrounds and ancestry. I'd like some opinions on my ideas I'm working on. The story is set in the future, closer to the late 21st century. I may even decide to have it in the early 22nd century but I'm undecided yet.

One character is a big muscular soldier born from a resurrected Russian Soviet soldier from the Vietnam Cold War era that this organization facility used the Russians genes from and used a surrogated mother from the US that this organization facility kidnapped to create the big muscular guy and he soon finds out how he was born.

Another is a character modified soldier aquatic abilities from Britain who is from a British father and Indian mixed mother and his ancestors are from pirates from the Golden Age of piracy days and fights modern day pirates and discovers how this group in the UK was funded and how his family lineage of aquatic fighters was passed down to him.

Another is one with chimp-ape like fibers planted in him who is from France from a Vietnamese/Thai mother and French/Catalan father and he's forced to go to Vietnam and Thailand to rescue his parents discovering his history of what happened during the Vietnam War.

One is a female soldier from Germany from a German father and Chinese mother that had been imprisoned and controlled by a micro chip for many years and is finally freed and discovers her Chinese ancestors had secret ancient mummies hidden for centuries.

Another one is a soldier like guy with wolf-like genes that were genetically modified into him. He is part of a secret faction organization in the East Coast of Canada by Nova Scotia, which existed secretly that genetically modifies humans into part animals with him having wolf-like genes and his ancestors would be of First Nations/Nordic Norwegian heritage which he finds out his ancestors had this secret faction of warriors with animal spirits throughout the North America/Greenland area for many centuries.

How can I have these characters or someone discover these events that happened when their ancestors were around where they can view these events in like a virtual reality sim world? How do I excuse such technology? Could it be like some type of VR ancestry DNA trip I can make up?

2. GrJs

GrJs Active Member

First question you should be asking is what relevance to the plot are these ancestors stories? At the moment it's just a list of the ancestors details but why not cut out the middle man and just tell the stories of the people you're taking the DNA from?

Why does it have to be these genetically engineered people looking back into their history? What's the story here?

With DNA ancestry VR machines you'll have to be careful to not make it too similar to the Animus in Assassin's Creed. You need a different medium to access the history.

Second, you have really unique characters but your wasting them on history where they don't exist. You can write their origins into your story but the ancestor stuff would have to take place with characters from the lab. Them researching and finding out about the ancestors DNA to select those they really want to use for whatever reason.

Really I just don't think it'll work using the genetically modified guys as your main characters. It doesn't look like it's their story you want to tell. Why are they at all relevant to the plot more than a plan for the future from the lab techs?

3. TheMyst7885

TheMyst7885 Active Member

It's very relevant because these ancestors will connect to the main characters and organizations that follow up into the future from where it all started. I'd probably make separate stories ones with the main characters in the future and then just add the ancestors as flashbacks throughout the story or as some separate issues as I'm looking to make these into a more graphic novel or maybe comic.

They are enhanced humans, some cybernetic and are each some form of an assassin. The main villains are mostly some form of mafia gangs.

Yeah I need to watch out for that, the Animus VR stuff may seem too similar. I could say that in the future they were able to digitize old documents, relics scrolls and stuff of the past to keep a hold of these ancestors?

Yeah! This might be a good reason, while the main characters are in the lab they discover through their DNA about their ancestors and who they descended from. This could be how they got selected, seems plausible enough right?

Because of their skill sets they have, their performance they carry and their ancestors were part of the same assassin guild they are apart of now that fought for a similar cause.