1. Jack The Ripper

Jack The Ripper Banned

How Big Is Space

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jack The Ripper, Dec 5, 2006.

Does it have an end or does it just go on and on forever and ever? Do you think we are the only things that live in the whole of space????

We can only see the universe out to our horizon (essentially the distance of cosmic microwave background radiation about 13.7 billion light years away). The size of the rest of the universe can't really be known. Some cosmologies make our corner of the universe as a "pocket universe" in a much larger multiverse where physical constants (and so the behavior of so called physical laws) vary over unfathomable distances with little universes peppered throughout it. So, we can't really say how big it is, only how big the portion we can actually see is.

2. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Ooooo, interesting.

I'm open to the idea of parallel universes, other dimensions, etc. I don't think that it is something that we will ever be able to actively explore, however. It would involve leaving this plane of existence.

Imagine a 2D world. The inhabitants of this world would be able to move freely on their two dimensional plane, but they could not see out of it, or move into our three dimensional world. They could speculate on the existence of a three dimensional world, but they would not be able to accurately predict its conditions, having only known an existence in two dimensions.

Scientists in our own plane of existence have speculated on universes of as many as (I think the number was) 13 dimensions. However, we can accurately predict conditions of a 13 dimensional universe no more than the inhabitants of a 2D universe could predict life in three dimensions.

I wish I could explain this better. My knowledge about these things is piecy at best. But I do find it interesting.

3. Robert

Robert Banned

I very much doubt that this planet is the only one with life in the universe. There's nothing particularly unique about our solar system. If life can start here, it should be able to start elsewhere too. How often? Who knows. But some. Quite what form that life might take, again who knows. If man can survive long enough and travel far enough, we're sure to find other life somewhere. Then kill it.

4. poetryliberates

poetryliberates Banned

i believe that no one will ever realy no exactly what is out there, no matter what they claim to be able to do. I also dont believe we are the only life in the galaxy, i bet theres whole other worlds of life out there, and hey, weve been tryin to prove they exist for decades, and i bet they have been trying to prove we exist too.

5. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    Yes well I like to think there is something out there other than just us humans. Although my father has a weird theory. He believes that mankind is a parasite that moves from one planet to another destroying each and every planet/solar system as we go.
    It's a possibility, I mean look at what we have done to this planet.
    Parrallel worlds, alternate dimensions, oh I hope so. I spend a lot of time contemplating about this.

6. Robert

Robert Banned

And his evidence for this is what, exactly?

Have we destroyed it? No.

Cheers,
    Rob

7. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Ah, A little brain teaser we have here you little tinker you! :D

Ahkay, what if the universe was actually no bigger and went no further in existence than your actual mind but the population of all species and the events in all of life are nothing but a figment of your imagination?

This would mean that you are the only one who actually exists and everything else you only think exists and that your own existence is rooted in energy but is manifested by some sobconscious osmosis as a physical tangible entity........................or some shit! :eek: :D

8. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Easy dude, easy. Lay off the caffeine. :D

9. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Oh, well that's comforting. I don't have to be worried about offending any of you, since you don't really exist.

10. Robert

Robert Banned

Didn't the caffeine get destroyed? ;)

11. poetryliberates

poetryliberates Banned

ok ladies, thats enough!!!sheesh

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

Does it have an end or does it just go on and on forever and ever?

...nobody knows... and anyone who says they do is either arrogantly ignorant or ignorantly arrogant...

Do you think we are the only things that live in the whole of space????

...isn't logical/rational to think so... which doesn't stop many from making that silly claim... ditto above for those who do...

13. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

Ha ha max - perhaps you should make a movie with the Wachowski brothers...sister...brother...whatever their current status is.

IMHO we don't know the boundries therefore there could be ANYTHING out there. Personally, I believe we're one of infinite universes that exists in one of infinite dimensions - see string theory. As for life on other planets, I think there has to be. We may not have proof but really, how far have we looked? I don't know if we'll make it to other planets and populate them and all that but I think the fact that we exist has to indicate that there is another planet out there that is populated by other (or similar) life forms.

zb

14. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Man has been gazing at the stars since fisrt looking up at them and asking, 'Where did all this come from". Then philosophy was born.

But the notion of actually travelling out of our planet and into space has only been a reality for the last few decades. We need to set ourselves some time to find other life out there. Thankfully we are but at the same time as getting impatient. We can develop impressive pictures of deep inner space of galaxies but we can't develop a strong enough scope to view any life forms from this planet. We've landed on the moon. But we've only looked upon Mars. That's not really much progress unfortunately, especially considering the costs that has been made to discover only enough information 'out there' to understand 'what's already here'. :rolleyes: Ah well, at least it keeps the economy good.

15. Robert

Robert Banned

It's not as bad as it sounds. Mars presents a considerably more difficult challenge than the moon because of the distance involved and the duration of the trip. But a lot has been achieved using machines instead of man. In effect, we've 'landed on' Mars, but we didn't have to risk anyone in doing so. Not only that, but since the first moon landings our knowledge of our own solar system has increased considerably.

Sure, it's the tip of the iceberg. It'll take time.

Cheers,
    Rob

16. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Yes. It seems as if deep space travel is not going to be manned but with machines/robots. I'm just impatient. I want to know before I leave whether there's anything out there or not.

I've got to know.