Tags:
  1. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Any middle grade writers out there?

Discussion in 'Children's & Young Adult' started by Richach, Feb 18, 2020.

Most of what I have written for the workshop and contests on this site has been YA. This has allowed me to mingle get some great feedback. I have often been given sound advice that really has made me a far better writer.

My real passion is middle grade, so my question is. Does anyone else write middle grade or have any interest in it other than 'they used to write it many moons ago.' Despite there being a huge demand for middle grade writing, I am finding it hard to find similar writers to myself unless I reach out to other genres.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Middle Grade? Is that something for 13yr-olds? What are the stories about, kids?

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I have a couple of middle grade projects in the works, one of which is just about complete. They’ve been a lot of fun to write.

4. Richach

Borrowed this from a well known search engine.

Basically, if it's appropriate for a kid between 8 and 13, it's probably middle grade. These books are often full of adventure, because kids in this age range are exploring their world and learning more about themselves.

There are limitations so no swearing, death or sex.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  5. TheOtherPromise

TheOtherPromise Senior Member

I don't write any Middle Grade books (technically I haven't written any books), but it is something I'm interested in. I'd need to read more MG to have a shot at it (I don't think just having read Harry Potter would make me qualified, but then I need to read more as a general rule).

The requirement of having a protagonist between 8 and 12 seems pretty limiting to me though. I'd probably be more likely to write a PG story with adult characters than one with such young leads. Can't say that I won't, in fact, I did recently have an idea for a story about three siblings who'd be around that age (with the youngest being a bit younger and the oldest being a bit older).

6. Richach

You could say predefined limits I guess because of the genre. I think that we all put limitations into our own work through decisions we make every day about our writing.