Tags:
  1. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

Oops! Discovered this forum too late... Well, Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Frostbite, May 1, 2017.

Hello everyone!

I'm Frostbite, living in the Netherlands. I started with writing a few years ago a little bit, all the writing I've done either were short stories or a single scene I've had in my head. Now after a few years I feel I'm ready to start on a larger scale work

I'm studying to be an elementary school teacher. Excluding writing/reading my major hobbies are chess and gaming.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. ame_trine

ame_trine Member

Frostbite sounds like a name I would give a character of mine. Names in my universe are similar :)
    What genre do you write in?

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  3. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

I write in fantasy, more specific low fantasy. The possibility to mold low fantasy in a heavily character driven story is what I love. Fantasy itself is practically limitless. My ability to mold the already established fantasy rules in my way is the only limit there is. Especially with dragons I found it very enjoyable to play with it.

Most dragons aren't very deeply developed in most stories in my opinion what opened for me a massive door that results in a massive possibility to create unique dragons. I'm also writing an entire bestiary with many different species of dragons, what they are, where they live, what they hunt on if they are omnivores or carnivores, their sizes, what they are used for for the certain race that is able to 'tame' dragons etc. I find it incredibly enjoyable to play with that. Even through 90% of that stuff won't be in my story, it still enriches the story.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    rktho and Simpson17866 like this.
  4. ame_trine

ame_trine Member

New take on dragons sounds interesting. I love fantasy worlds, different races and species. I'd love to read your stories :)

Simpson17866 likes this.
  5. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

A strong inspiration source for my dragons are dogs (and wolves somewhat). The variety between breeds and their use for people is in my opinion a good inspiration source. An example would be a forest dragons. Dragons that cannot spit fire, are unable to fly but glide instead on their prey with usage of climbing trees. They are smaller than most dragon species (not much larger than a big dog) to move more agile through the woods. They are generally green or brown in colour for camouflage.

There is a near endless list of elaborate species you can think of, and so far in my story not one of the named dragons are of the same species. So many species can vary enormously in size, colour, strength, max age etc the only limit is the imagination to create it reasonable.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  6. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

Dragons? And no one's called @rktho yet? :p

7. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

They have now.

8. rktho

Write a field guide. Don't let it go to waste.

My dragons are beings, not beasts, but wild or bestial dragons fascinate me.

Frostbite and Elven Candy like this.
  9. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

I love dragons! Actually, the novel I'm working on is about dragons, or rather about the MC dragon (my avatar picture is a drawing one of my brothers made of him). We have quite a number of dragon lovers here, so I'm sure you'll fit right in. ;)

I don't know if they're available where you are, but have you ever seen the Dracopedia series of books by William O'Connor? They're fantastic books that just might be your cup of tea. They aren't story books, but rather fantasy encyclopedias of dragons.

P.S. And welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to seeing more of you and your story/stories. :D

Frostbite and rktho like this.
  10. Elven Candy

Agreed!

rktho likes this.
  11. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

My dragons are somewhat comparable to a wild beasts. One race, the only race that is able to coexist with them is able to because an ancient spell cast on a group of people created a new race which connected their souls to it. (The weirdness of my magic system, but that's a different story.) The biggest dragon role, the soul bound dragon of the protagonist has a bigger role than most side characters, and actually his personality gets without any words clear, and the growth will be hopefully as clear. It is referenced most dragons are sentient.

I won't write a field guide on it, same with my magic system. It is very elaborate, but barely mentioned for multiple reasons. I do not intend to show everything the world has to offer, I only want to show the story of the protagonist and everything around the protagonist. What happens at the other side of the continent has no reason to be in explained, because it has no reverence to the story. Further, I intend to work on multiple stories in the said world, so when I work on my next story I have a massive head start. Many of the small details are already explained and clear. I mean, there are over 5 races, but only 2 are mentioned (humans and the said race)

For me, to add all things in a story would derail too much. To make an entire field guide would be a waste of valuable pages, however a fraction of it with the mentioned dragons could work if I am unable to directly get it in the story in a non-infodumpy way.

rktho likes this.
  12. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

The field guide doesn't have to be in your story ;) Just personal notes to keep track of everything.

Frostbite likes this.
  13. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

Uh-oh! The dragon train arrived! Time for me to jump right on it.

Nope! Never even heard of it. I will directly take a look at it! Thanks for mentioning it!

EDIT: Found it! time for a small celebration!

14. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

I think I misunderstood it somewhat then ^^ I am already writing a bestiary on it.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  15. Gold Bearer

Gold Bearer Member

Sounds interesting. Dragons are a bit special. :)

I'm encouraged by how many fantasy lovers there seem to be here, that's what my story is.

Frostbite and rktho like this.
  16. rktho

I'm the same way actually. I'd much prefer to expand my world in a Pottermore-type format.

Frostbite likes this.
  17. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

In what way would you expand your world in a pottermore-type format? Assuming you mean J.K. Rowling's format I am extremely curious how you'd create a world of dragons in such a (in my opinion) weird format. It's a format I can't quite put my finger on to explain.

18. Elven Candy

Sounds interesting! I can't wait to read your books!

Frostbite likes this.
  19. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

I wonder one little thing, You've said your story is about dragons- Do you mind telling me a bit about it ? I'm so curious!

rktho likes this.
  20. rktho

Well, I'd write my books, but I'd also have an author website where I reveal things outside the books.

21. Elven Candy

I don't want to give too much away, but it's basically about Valfredo's mission to kill the phoenix after it wiped out almost his entire clan. His people are very traditional and not very creative, so the very idea to kill it is beyond the scope of anything they could ever have imagined, as they believe it's an unkillable fallen sun. The changes he makes in his world view throughout the story would have gotten him killed for insanity were his father still alive! (his father was the clanhead [clan leader] before the phoenix attack and it would've been his job to "protect" the clan by killing Valfredo or sending him away).

Though Valfredo's near-death encounter with the phoenix also gives him a very unique skill which shall not be named until the book is revealed . . .
    *dramatic music plays*
    Stay tuned for the book's completion!
    *hopes I can keep the secret until then* :rolleyes:

Edited because what I first wrote made no sense and I hope the editing helped! I can never seem to make the plot make sense without going into a long explanation that reveals spoilers. *sigh* One of these days I'll figure it out!

ame_trine likes this.
  22. Frostbite

Frostbite Member

I guess we think somewhat alike man! That is a far future goal for me if my book(s) is/are somewhat successful.

Sounds interesting! I'm curious how it would turn out to be! You've given a good spoiler free summary! I've understood it, so I guess it's fine. And yeah, don't give too much away. I do not do it either. Top secret information. :cool:

ame_trine, rktho and Elven Candy like this.