1. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

Another New "Writer?" Here :/

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by psyence53, Apr 26, 2009.

:mad: I CANT GET MY MUSE BACK!!! lol!:rolleyes:

Anyway hey everyone. I like writing fiction, like drama, melodrama, tragic sorts of things, but I can never get beyond a general idea and the characters. So i'm left with these characters i love and feel like i'm letting them die, which I can't stand. Having depression doesn't help, nor the draining full time job.

Recently I've been listening to a lot of music and watching a couple of music videos, and been re-inspired, like a reminder of the only thing I ever truly felt was "me."

I'm considering doing the Writer's Bureau Online course but it's a lot of money and I don't know if i have what it takes.

Does anyone have any tips/ideas/resources for determining if one has it or not? Lol - people say i'm really good, but I know they mock me. Either that or they don't read so they're in no position so say such things.

*struggles to resist tearing hair out*

2. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

Hey there, psyence.

Welcome to the boards. I hope you find what you're looking for. This is a very supportive community and I'm sure you'll find that motivation somewhere. See you around. :D

3. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

Thanks sweetchaos :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Psyence, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Beware of online writing courses. Many are utter ripoffs. I a not saying they all are, but the Internet is a minefield of scammers.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

5. wilfriedvoss

wilfriedvoss New Member

Welcome to the forum!

I recommend to read the entries in this forum to find help. I found a lot of information that helped me with my writing project.

Wilfried Voss
    http://www.frogenyozurt.com

6. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Hi and welcome to the site! Hope to see you around :-D

~Lynn

7. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

Hi and welcome!

I've had a similar loss of muse but mine was caused by something falling on my head at work. It has taken a lot of effort but, just over a year after the accident, I am starting to recognise that old feeling of... well 'me'.

I'm not 100% certain that the accident did cause my writers' block but the line between creativity and the struggle for it was pretty definite.

The only thing I can suggest is that you just keep writing. Write anything and everything. Writing doesn't just have to be on a computer or typewriter. Keep a pen and paper beside your bed, buy a voice recorder, leave messages for yourself on the answering machine, use any method you have available and make others available to record your ideas, and just keep working those muscles of creativity. I found that writing letters and such at work helped me rediscover how to put words together in ways that felt good, that felt right.

I don't know your specific circumstances but the constant writing has helped me but it has been quite hard finding the motivation to do it. I've only recently actually started to enjoy writing again which keeps me smiling through the day.

I hope you find that which you have lost.

8. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Banned

I'm sure you have what it takes, but do they? I enrolled on 'The Writer's Bureau' course in the early nineties. My personal tutor was marginally helpful but only to the degree of steering me towards the magazines I should be writing for rather than giving me constructive criticism regarding my writing. This, I am guessing, is because they are eager for you to get your money back as soon as possible so that they don't have to fall back on their guarantee of 'If you don't earn your course fees back through your writing by the end of the course, we will refund your course fees!'.

I don't know if they still 'guarantee' this but if they do, it will be (as was then) legally binding as long as you are aware of the clauses in their terms and conditions.

Personally, my writing style wasn't compatible with their idealised market place so I opted out early on and ignored their requests for more money. 15 years later, they haven't caught up with me :D

9. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Psyence...*hugs* welcome to the group...try role-playing, it helps.

Namaste....WF main aapka swagat hai...aasha karti hun aapka safar sukhad rahega!

(Hey, Welcome to WF, hope your stay here will be pleasant.)

10. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

Hey there :) Hope you enjoy!
    xxx

11. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Cogito - I'm a very sceptical person (omg, i have no idea if i spelt that right..) and good at putting things off, so i will do a lot of research before committing to something i have to pay for. This one has been advertised on the back cover of two writing magazines so it may well be all right but... im difficult and even if it was, doesnt mean it will help me! ^-^;; good outlook huh.

Yeah, I will be looking around too see what there is here, I've found great support in other forum communities for other matters so...

Thanks Wilfriedvoss and Lynneandlynn!

Tall and Weird - I'm sorry about your accident. Are you recovered/recovering well physically and emotionally? :| I tried writing often, but its not easy. I cant write with family around me, so that ruled out much progress at my nans. I have some extracts and random exercises saved over the months/years, and 3 short scripts from college, but i can't get into it since working full time. Im always knackered or have to go to bed after a couple hours being at home which is needed to do the washing, eat and calm down. Or talk to my dad lol. Usually find i can write better when its dark, on my laptop, between sort of... 11pm and 3am (useless ¬_¬) But im hoping to make some more time before enrolling on any courses, to see if there is anything, however small, in me. Besides, it might prove a nice distraction from other problems. Glad it makes you smile through the day, we all need something like that. I'm still looking lol. Writing used to. Because i loved my characters and lvoed bringing these people to life. I dont want them to die >.<

Welshwizard - LOL! I doubt they will now xD But, i just want to exhaust the options (evetually). I dont do anything, dont try anything or take many risks, but i AM good at wasting money. Besides, i hope they have improved a little in that time! Maybe different staff? >.< lol... im difficult to work with anyway, but.... i want to try something. I'm only young (thoughi dont feel it) and should try things before i end up using all my wages to pay rent for some small apartment and having none leftover to enjoy anythign.....

Neha - Hey! *hugs back* how do you mean role-playing? Please elaborate, it sounds good :p

and thanks x_raichelle_x too ^-^

12. Ilseum

Ilseum New Member

Welcome, hope you find what you need :)

13. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forums.

I think Neha meant that you should look into participating in Role Play, which is where you pretend to be a different character and act like them. What would they do in this situation? What would they say?

There are lots of chat rooms all over the place where people Role Play as different characters that interact with each other, usually in a "bar setting" from my own experience. (Which, unfortunately, is limited)

I recommend searching around for one such chatroom and practicing. It can help you in "hearing" your different characters.

14. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

Ooh ok. Well, i've often thought, i'd have loved to have been an actress... unfortunately certain things ruined that for me :(I digress, I will look into that, sounds interesting.