1. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

What's your favorite Stephen King book?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Jonalexher, Jan 15, 2011.

And what's your favorite movie based off a Stephen King story?
    Mine has to be Shawshank Redemption, with 1408 coming in close. (movies)

[​IMG]

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Mine is an odd choice but I love the Tommyknockers for both lol

3. Malc-Downing

Malc-Downing New Member

Mine is misery.. i just love the ending.

4. Kaij

Kaij New Member

I don't read very many Stephen King books, but out of the few I have read, I enjoyed Pet Sematary the most.

5. notquitesteinbeck

notquitesteinbeck Member

I'd have to say the moving finger, its a short story of his. I think King is an underrated author though. I think if his stories weren't horror, he'd be heralded as one of the greatest authors of our lifetime. His dialogue is amazing, his writing is tight AND descriptive which isn't the easiest thing to do and his characters are always well developed. I think that anyone who wants to improve thier own writing should check out his book, On Writing

6. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I haven't read too many of his books. Of those I have read I have enjoyed them all. I love how developed his characters are.

Some of my favorites include: From A Buick 8, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The Stand, Under the Dome, The Dead Zone. I have also read a short story of his. It was about a father explaining and telling the history of instantanious transportation. Also I think a novella about a teen who takes his class hostage.

I have really enjoyed them all.

7. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Do you recall the name of that novella? I'm writing a similar story, it would be really helpful!

Yes. On Writing was amazing. I highly recommend it.
    For whom it may concern: On Writing is composed of a 4 paragraph autobiography and the other half of the book is about writing (like the title hints :p)
    If you want to become a good writer, read that!

8. Wes

Wes Member

The novella is called Rage. It's out of print now tho.

I like King. Cell, Christine, And Shawshank being my fav's... The only I don't like, imo, is he's often too wordy. Like he'll just go on and on about a point that was made clear 475 lines ago... But other than that, still my fav author. His new collection isn't bad either.

9. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Yeah thats the title, Rage. Wes is right about it being out of print. After Columbine, or in general school shootings, Stephen King decided to pull it out of print. Well I think thats what happened. I just know that he decided that it shouldn't be continued to be printed.

Not sure how easily it would be to find it elsewhere... legally anyways.

10. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I've always liked Misery and Shawshank. Ditto for movie adaptation.

11. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

The Green Mile, hands down. I read it when I was just a little kid, and have read it repeatedly since then. I've tried others, and I know he's an amazing writer, but I just get SO disturbed I can't make it through. The things that disturb him are exactly the things I can hardly stand reading about. I've been enjoying Pet Semetary for almost 9 years now without finishing it - made it to the halfway point by now. :p I just have to keep putting it down. My one useful talent is being able to remember everything about a book I haven't finished reading yet - once I close it for good all the plot goes out of my head - so I can just pick up that book and keep reading even if a year and a half has gone by before I feel okay about reading it again... :p

His short stories are good too - too short to put down in the middle. But I have a stack of his novels I've started and not finished. :p

12. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

9 years and you're halfway through a book? Jesus... lol
    I envy your ability to remember books so well, I find myself starting a book, then putting it to the side, reading some other books, then I have to start the first one all over again xD

13. Norule

Norule New Member

I havent read alot of his books, but i really enyojed Desperation adn Shadow Lands wich he wrote with Straub.

Shadow lands was nice beacuse it mixed horror with kind of a fantasy thing, wich i really enyojed.

Is it only me, or does he very often have a child thats just before puberty as one of the main characters?

14. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

I'm not a fan of King's fiction at all, but I regularly enjoy his non fiction. I always catch his column in Entertainment Weekly, and I've read On Writing several times over and it still hasn't gotten old. A brilliant book, and inspirational in its own right.

15. Amorata

Amorata New Member

I've only read about five to six Stephen King novels, but my favorite was "It" and coming in second, "Carrie", which was the first book I read by him.

16. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I'm reading "Dreamcatchers" and loving it.

I liked Cujo and Carrie a lot.

Never quite got into Christine or Under the Dome -- too slow moving and not really scary.

17. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

i usually hate SK's work when put onto the screen, but for some reason i think they did an okay job with, Christine. I liked that ne more than the book.

18. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

Mines probably... The Stand and Dreamcatcher. I loved both of them, The Stand was the first long book I read, I loved it, every second of it.
    I'm curently reading The Dark Tower, I;m up to book VI Song Of Susannah, I'm loving the series, but trying not to read them... I don't want it to end... There's a few graphic novels I can get... but I just don't want it to end... :(

19. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Although I read several of SK's books when I was a child (I used to steal them from my mom) I didn't like them then (they were just something to read) and I don't like them now. I'm just not a fan, at all. I thought it was because I had been a kid and I have tried again several times, but I can't do it. Sorry.

20. Dandroid

Dandroid New Member

the long walk

21. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

As far as i can remember i have read only one and that was "Carrie", which i really liked back then. (even watched the movie and liked it too.) But his genre is not my favourite so i guess that is why i havent read more since then. I am currently reading "On Writing" though, and so far its good.

22. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

I have not read a King book since Firestarter , I dug The Stand ,I dug the premise of The Dead Zone in fact I love the Dead Zone's 'what if ? " I may rip the idea off

23. Alan Lincoln

Alan Lincoln Active Member

'IT' would have to be my favourite above most. I'm going to start 'Under the dome' soon. Can anyone tell me what 'The Dark tower' series is like? is it worth getting the seven books? cheers :)

24. Darkjester79

Darkjester79 Member

I am a HUGE fan of the Dark Tower series. I love the cast, the places and alternate realities they go to. Out of the series I love "Wizards and Glass" because the back story is just excellent.

25. MLKerrick

MLKerrick New Member

I used to really like The Gunslinger until I had to do a book report about it. School just destroys books for me. Now my favorite is definitely Misery. I tried trekking my way through It and The Shining, but I couldn't grasp what was going on, so I put them down. The thing with Stephen King novels is that he's particularly fond of making his main characters well-known-but-struggling male writers, and after a while, you get sick of it. I actually stopped reading 'Salem's Lot for that very reason: I couldn't take it anymore.
    Again, I liked The Gunslinger (the first book). If you want to get that one just to test the waters a little, I recommend that. It's the first Stephen King book I read, and from the first page, it's loaded with imagery that I fell in love with. Its only flaw is that it seemed like King was making things up as he went along in that book. He probably was.