1. AussieNick

AussieNick Member

Differences between America and Australia

Discussion in 'Research' started by AussieNick, Sep 20, 2017.

I have a story that is primarily set in Australia, but is from the perspective of an American family so I need to know what some differences are between the United States and Australia. I'm looking specifically at:

Houses - Common differences between Australian and American homes.

School - My main character is a teenager, so an overview of what high school is like in the U.S would be appreciated.

Social values/norms - Anything that would be considered odd or different about either country, such as social norms.

If anyone who has been to both the United States and Australia has noticed any important differences that don't fall under these, then please feel free to add them. Thanks.

2. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I have noticed one thing that has been remarked on by some American friends who traveled to Australia on a regular basis. Australians can be very friendly, but there is a certain point when the curtain drops down and reserve begins, leading the visitor to wonder if he or she has delivered some unintended insult or a comment that was taken wrong. (On my single trip to Australia about 20 years ago, I noticed this myself.)

In the US, on the other hand, people seem to warm up to each other gradually, and are usually more outspoken and direct if they sense that something was taken amiss.

If your character is making a transition from one culture to another, that difference might come into play.

On the whole, I found the Sydney area to be a weird amalgamation of the US and England. It seemed to be what America might have been if it hadn't split off from the mother country for another hundred years. I could walk a block and think I was in London, and in the next block I'd think I was in Baltimore.

3. Surcruxum

Surcruxum Member

Well, i am currently living in Australia and i visited the US twice (east and west coast). Most of the houses that I've seen in Australia are victorian and art deco houses, with some californian bungalows. Few modern 20th century houses can be seen. When i went to the US i didn't exactly explore the suburbs, so i can't really tell.

He's right about the outspoken and direct thing. But from my experience people from Australia is friendlier than the U.S.

4. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

That was my point. It was just that the early friendliness, more pronounced, can lead Americans to believe that the friendship was stronger than it really was. So the American starts sharing more, and the Aussie starts sharing more, and so on until the veil suddenly drops, and there's a distinct coolness in the Aussie. The Yank thinks: "Jeez, what happened? Was it something I said? Or did?" And the Yank takes it personally. But it's just the cultural thing kicking in, with no umbrage meant.

And, if the friendship is to continue to develop, the Aussie's veil lifts again and communication resumes. It's a lot like relationships with cats, come to think of it. Like the famous cat haiku:

"The rule for today:
    Touch my back, I scratch your hand.
    New rule tomorrow."