1. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Medical Help: Scars on Character's Back from a Splash Burn (Trigger warning)

Discussion in 'Research' started by Shenanigator, Sep 20, 2017.

Trigger warning: Character may have received the injuries from abuse

Anyone know anything about scars from a splash burn so I don't throw up in the name of research? (Seriously. I've gone as far as I can on my own without losing my lunch.)

I have a character who has scars from a large splash burn on his/her back.

I've researched splash burn patterns, so I know what the shape of the burn pattern would look like, and I know that the main part of the burn would be more severe and deeper. What I need is info about the resulting scars:

1. How long would a splash burn on a 16 or 17 year old teenager--bad enough to cause permanent scarring--take to heal? The burn was received from either hot pasta water or soup from a pot on the stove.

2. After the burn itself healed, how long would the worst part of the scar remain painful to the touch? Ditto to some sort of pressure-- for example, if someone hugged the character?

3. Would the character have needed skin grafts? The way I've written them, I can't imagine these people getting proper medical treatment for the character. If character did need skin grafts and had not received proper medical treatment, what would be the result? Skin that doesn't stretch properly after healing so it splits? Infection?

4. Would the character's lover notice the scarring by touch if their relationship was consummated in a dark room?

5. Would the scar feel papery? Raised/Bumpy? Or would it be smooth and somewhat shiny, like a healed surgical scar? (Referencing my own surgical scars from ankle and Achilles tendon surgeries.)

Thank you for any assistance!