1. SMTM

SMTM New Member

Novel Has my idea been written? Please read and help.

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by SMTM, Dec 26, 2007.

I have a question about writing a novel. How do you know if your plot has already been written in a novel? I would hate to actually commit to an idea and there is already a novel about the same idea. Is there a database or something that could help me find this out.

2. Kid At <3

Kid At <3 New Member

I think that the plot in the story is always original, even though the idea may not be. I don't think any databases exist concerning what you want to know, and even if there were, you know that someone out there without access to that database might have used that idea.

What makes your story original is how you write it- it's your plot, your characters, your style.

3. SMTM

SMTM New Member

Thanks for the response. I know that its not the plot its how you write it. I also know that Shakespeare used the same plots from other stories to write his plays and they were some of the greatest of all time. My concern is my memory is very good but, not in the way I'd like it to be. I've heard many stories and I retain most of them. However, I dont remember who, if anyone, told them to me. Its weird I know. Of course this isnt true with all memories just some and there are times when I pull a good story out of my head and remember later that I heard it or read it somewhere. You see, if I write the story it could be very similar to one I've read and I wouldn't remember until something jogged my memory. I just wish there was some way I could find out wether this is an original idea or something someone already came up with.

Anyways thanks again for the response. I doubt there is way to find this out but I gotta keep asking. If anyone has an idea of how I could get this kind of info please let me know. I don't want to start writing until I know. Thanks.

4. kmlovering

kmlovering New Member

Someone in the forums answered this question quite eloquently. Every idea has already been written, but not the same way. So, I don't think you'll have any worries!

5. Kid At <3

Kid At <3 New Member

Well, what's the idea that you're questioning? Maybe I can help identify what it might sound like.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there are only 3 original story concepts and they were all committed to the walls of their cave homes by the original authors [or author, if all from a single fertile mind]... they are:

man vs man
    man vs god
    man vs self

everything else that's ever been dreamt up since, is just creative plagiarism... so, be as creative as you can and don't worry about your 'idea' having been used before, because of course it will have been... over and over!... but no two people use the same idea in exactly the same way, which is what keeps the publishing and movie industries going...

love and hugs, maia

7. crazyfijkus

crazyfijkus New Member

Every story, I understand, is basically a riff off of about 12 basic archtype, build around those three concepts. Just do your own thing and don't worry about it.

8. SMTM

SMTM New Member

Alright I'll just write the damned thing thanks people.