1. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Death and Symbiosis

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by adamant, May 12, 2007.

I was wondering: what exactly is the reason that things die? There seems to be quite a few benefits if organisms did not die as often... but I suppose there must be some reason? If it's to re-fertilize the Earth, making a species less fertile would work just as well.

Secondly, what would be a reasonable way to have a character gain a symbiotic partner? Somewhat of a Spider-Man/Venom/Carnage creature, but a little less crazy. (notice I said a 'little'.) My story takes place on a different planet, but I also want to keep others away from the potential power.

2. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

Um, dude...?

If I were able to tell you why things die, wouldn't that mean that I'd have to be able to tell you why anything lives in first place?

And to be able to really and for true tell you that, I'd have to be God or something. And while it would be totally cool if I were, I'm not :(

- Evelyn the non-omniscient

(PS. Sorry, I can't help with you other question either - I don't keep up with the graphic novel world.)

(PPS. "Not God" and "doesn't follow graphic novels"? ... Coincidence?
    --- Or is it Causality???)

3. adamant

I know no one is going to possess some exact answer... just opinions. And you don't need to read comics or anything to give a suggestion about the symbiotic creature.

oSP. (omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent)

4. Frost

Frost Active Member

We die because if we didnt life would simply be hell. It'd be unsustainable. It'd be infinite torture and suffering.

5. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

Oh, well, if that's the case... :)

Because everything would get really really crowded if everyone just stayed alive for ever.

Because if you were going to have a less fertile species to keep things from getting so crowded sex would have to be a lot less fun. :(

Becuase poeple accumulate illness and injuries as they go through life, and after you get too many of those, that's not much fun either.

Because entropy is constantly at work.

A person who dies at the moment of the character's birth becomes his spirit-life counterpart.

A fraternal twin is altered in the womb (by some sort of unexplained something) to become the symbiont.

On that planet, the placenta is not inert after delivery, but grows into the symbiont.

He answers an ad on Monster.com for "Symbionts Wanted."

Any other time I can be of little or no help, just let me know :)

- Evelyn

6. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

what's a symbiont? >.>

7. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Anyone else think that this shouldn't really belong in the lounge seeing as its relating to writing issues rather than general conversation?

8. Alice in Wonderland

I was thinking that actually.

9. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Ok I think its more relevent here..

10. adamant

Well... I thought the death thing was more lounge-worthy, and I just added the symbiote thing.

I understand that illnesses can kill us, but what if were were more immune to such things? Basically, there doesn't seem to be that great of a reason for death (I don't mean immortality, just a longer life; think more of the elves that live for a thousand years). Limiting a population that wouldn't die as often would be similar to stopping the overpopulation in countries that have higher infant mortality rates. Humans could have access to more information simply due to the fact that they were there and it had a greater affect on them. Et cetera.

And I somewhat like that idea about the placenta, but at the same time, I was thinking of having someone actually choose to gain the symbiote. I was thinking about this and realized that a Zelda game had something similar to this, the 'symbiote' was a fairy given to inhabitants of the forest.

11. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

What I'm wondering is why you've double posted this?

12. adamant

Simple error when it was posted... the other one can be destroyed for all I care.

13. Alice in Wonderland

Death is the stage in our lives when we become truely perfect, someone said to me once. I can't remember why.

14. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

The symbiote recipient inadvertantly finds himself in a position to perform some great good for the people/race/species capable of providing symbiotes (saved one of their nestlings from a burning building, or drowning, or something (drowning in a burning building, maybe? :) ;).

To show their gratitude, they custom-symbiotize one just for him.

(Or he finds the nestling drowing in the burning building, and upon being saved, it immediately becomes his symbiote.)

Or he cruises by Symbiotes-R-Us during their big End-Of-Year Clearance Sale :)

- Evelyn