A message too deep.

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by colorthemap, Jan 1, 2011.

1. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

In other words, religion is cultural and arbitrary. I like that. If people would just admit it, we'd have a lot less problems with it. The Bible is so full of arrows pointing in every possible direction that no matter what your personal beliefs are, you're gonna find a passage to support it. So let's just agree we all believe whatever we please and nothing more. I've yet to meet a human being who believed something that did not suit them.

2. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

WOW! WOW! WOW!

Sorry I left the topic and triggered a religious debate.

What I feel like people misunderstand about authors is that they have lives:

I.E: A Christian will write with Christian morals not on purpose.

Well thanks for all the responses(haven't even read em' all)

3. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

I hate stories with morals... I think you should give up on the whole "message" thing. We read your story to find out what happens when the Ultimate Sword of Hyperdoom is stolen, not to find out that greed will get you in trouble.

4. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

All stories have morals. Not all are spelled out like fables. Just like every experience is a learning one.

5. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Yes, I think that was C S Lewis's position. If you think that the world is governed by a force for order and good then you will tend to write fiction in which order and good prevails (or if it doesn't it will be in a conscious reaction to your worldview). If you believe everything is chaotic then you will tend to write work in which chaos prevails (or if it doesn't it will be in a conscious reaction to your worldview). If you believe that certain actions are good then you will tend to write fiction in which those actions are rewarded, and so on. This is what some theorists call the presence of absence. Everybody makes assumptions about the way the world is, and those assumptions are going to influence the direction of their writing.