All my plots suck...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by KokoN, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

@KokoN 1) typo, 2) apparently Helen Keller had a quote: "being blind separates you from things, being deaf seperates you from people.

When hearing people are learning about how communication works, overhearing others is as important as your own conversations are, but deaf people can't get nearly as much eavesdropping as the rest of us can.

Although deaf people are better listeners in their own conversations ;) Hearing people often half-listen to others, but deaf people are generally focusing on every little thing.

Research in general: research "misconceptions about X" more than you research just X

jannert likes this.
  2. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Yeah, that's what I found most interesting, the concept of researching misconceptions rather than just researching the topic! :)

3. DystopianApocolypse

DystopianApocolypse Member

http://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/plot-outline.html
    this and the other pages have helped me with similar problems lately. Just try asking questions and following the prompts of this sight.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  4. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

I like it! I used to use a different outline for plotting but it took forever to get to the actual writing part. I like this one much better! :)

Simpson17866 likes this.
  5. DystopianApocolypse

DystopianApocolypse Member

no problem, and something I've taken to doing is using this plot outline for more than just your MC. For example, use it on the villain or antagonist of the story to see things from their POV. It's a great tool. they have a few other good articles on this page.

KokoN and Simpson17866 like this.
  6. Toomanypens

Toomanypens Member

I use plot mover tools
    So liiiike, right now, I have these spies of the enemy and everytime you defeat one you get information, but also the enemy starts to figure out who you are and how to defeat you. I then just have my character do the next logical thing until a spy spots him or he spots a spy, and I can repeat that a few times.

I then might also have a tool where he just breaks into places, he might break into a friends flat, then into a gala, then into a hotel room, then into a business meeting at the docks (or on a boat)

I then might have a tool where he beats up a gangster or thug, or a car chase.

I know it sounds terrible, but thats how I build plots right now, I get a tool and I repeat it a few times, then I cut the bad scenes out. It is just a way of thickening the story so it has substance.

7. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Yeah I did that for a short story a really long time ago, it worked fairly well. I think that goes along with the concept of throwing a bunch of obstacles at the character and forcing them to deal with them. As long as its interesting enough to keep the reader reading it works.

8. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

If it's really the plots that suck and not the Story, why don't you just replot the story until you get it right? If it's the story concept that doesn't appeal to you, start over with another one. Ideas are cheap and everywhere. You can write a story about pretty much anything, just try to find an original approach that makes the story feel fresh.

9. Kayla Hicks

Kayla Hicks New Member

A good strategy is by writing short stories. I know this helped me with trying to strengthen my plots. Instead of stretching it out to start, start small. This way you can get better at smaller plots and slowly move your way up. Of focus on one of your big plots. Pick another character in the book and write a short story about them that is related to your plot.

KokoN likes this.
  10. Indefatigable Id

Indefatigable Id Member

Your homework is to go watch a bunch of TV shows and then write plot summaries for each episode. Once you start seeing the same plots in different shows, return for your next assignment.