Anime Names

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by fantasywriter, Oct 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Raevmu

Raevmu New Member

http://www.20000-names.com/

^My source for when I'm stuck on names.

2. ning

ning New Member

i think for names the most important thing is the meaning. or maybe it is because i am a chinese (i don't come from china), and chinese in general have meanings for every single word of our names, with the exception of surnames.

japanese are very similar to chinese. every kanji represents a meaning. so i suggest you ask yourself what kind of meaning you want a character name to have? say for example you want your character to be as beautiful as the moon, then you can have 'tsuki' as part of the name. and if you want the character to be as full of life as summer, you can have 'natsu' as the other part of the name. add together you can have 'natsuki', which means summer moon.

it is your own story, so if you can be original. so you can be proud of your own characters.

oh well this is just an example. don't laugh at it. i know you are laughing at my example. stop laughing! lolx...

3. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Not all of the names.
    Most yes.

But Chi Chi means breast. :)

@lordhats: What a misconception not all anime is like that. There are some really good animes that aren't that way. And their names are usually, as people have said, taken from other cultures I've notice Indian[we're talking Hinduism], Chinese, and European.

Some names:
    Yuki= Snow
    Momo= Peach
    Karasu= Crow
    Karas= Raven [something along those lines]
    Umea[not exactly spelled right]= destiny
    Umi= Ocean
    Tsuki= Moon

You can go to babynames, but they don't have a wide selection of the names.
    Most anime names are normal everyday names in Japan. Their aren't strange or made up.

4. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

I've never read a lot of animae, Leaka, so everything you're describing is new to me; is there other information you can share about the animae world? It kind of piques my curiosity..

5. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

First, you don't read anime. It's a style/genre of animation. Of course, many anime stories are multi-media, in the sense that they are related to some light novel/manga series, which would be written.