Average Word Count Per Page

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Liza, Jun 8, 2011.

1. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I've always been a fan of Times New Roman. It just appeals to me. But when I read here that publishers usually require a fixed-width font like Courier New, I decided to go back to it (and I hadn't used it since my word processing software was MultiMate Advantage!). And, yes, it is much easier to catch typos. Also, one thing about TNR that I did not like was the fact that "rn" looked more like "m".

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

But still... that is a pretty lame criteria for select the ones to focus their attention on. Imagine how many pearls that end up in the trash bin for something as insignificant as the choice of font... makes me feel slightly ill just at the thought of it.

Another thing that disturbes me a little is the knowledge that what you write about yourself in the presentation letter (if the publishers have open submissions) is a lot more important than the quality of the actual manuscript. It's about the same thing as the "personal letter" when you apply for a job; how you present yourself is more important than your qualifications. It's like it's more important to be able to talk about oneself that to actually accomplish something. Even if the job you are applying for has nothing to do with talking about oneself...It makes me despair. I know it's like that in many areas but It still disturbs me a great deal. social skills are more important than professional skills. Every part of me objects to that but there is nothing I can do about it.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Says you. But when they clearly indicate the word count range they will accept for consideration from a new writer, and said writer believes he or she is above following those instructions, why should they waste their time on that writer.

With a new writer, they will nearly always need to talk the writer into making some changes. But an arrogant writer who thinks he or she knows more about how to deliver that story than an experienced submissions editor, it ain't worth the uphill struggle.

On top of all that, the word count ranges are not completely arbitrary. Publishers know what the buying public will pay for from an unknown writer.

So, not such a lame criterion after all.

4. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

A friend of mine who worked in a job centre during the recession in the 80's used to throw away all the applications in blue ink. It wasn't fair, but there were just SO many applications that it was impossible to read them all and they had to get through the pile.

Also, as an author you are selling your self. The cult of the artist is very important, and not just with pop stars, movie actors, or artists. After all if you are charismatic enough, you are marketable. In a way social skills are more important. In the real workld how friendly and easy to work with is often more important than a having a few less qualifications than another, because they HAVE to work in a team. If they can't do that, they're out.

It's only sad from the point of view that people spent a lot of time becoming educated only to have an employee pick the most amicable person, but the education is not at a loss. Just do both.

5. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Just set up your document properly, using STYLES for Chapter Headings, Body Text, etc.
    Then use what you like.

Upon submission, just adapt your styles to the submission guidelines. Usually cost you a minute per style used. This also helps you to adapt to different submission guidelines between publishers/agents.

Another tip (off topic): give your ms a version number, and update it every half an hour or so. E.g., "MyTitle_r024.doc": the next time you save it's ~r025.doc, etc. I see so many people just overwrite. Imagine what happens if your document crashes beyond repair...