Bounded Minds: Story Hour!

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kingtype, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

I had stayed silent the whole time. I just glared at the ceiling, I couldn't believe I lost her... and if I was correct... then things might be over now. No one had come to the church besides the police, if it wasn't then I'm sure a small force would have come to take us down and take Stella back... That means that Vectorcorp is likely in boiling water, and so is Trisha. She's gone now, she's likely going to change her identity... I... I just can't chase her around forever, it would be impossible to figure out all of her aliases and contacts. "I'm tired... so tired..." I thought, I shut my eyes and sighed, I got up and grabbed my trench coat off of the chair nearby and put it on, then I left my room silently and headed toward the roof. It... it was time to end it.

Leon walked into Joe's room just a few minutes later to check up on him. "...Joe?" He asked as he went into the room, he went straight to the bathroom and knocked on the door and then opened it when he got no response. Empty. Leon felt his heart begin to race as panic seized him. There was nothing to do, nowhere to go, he should have just been resting, there'd be no way to get out of the hospital, the police were downstairs and all of them would know him at a glance. Leon quickly took off, he had a horrible feeling in the pit of his stomach... and his feelings, especially when it came to Joe, were hardly ever wrong.

Leon rushed into the room where the others were recuperating. "Guys Joe's missing!" He said, a clear edge of panic in his voice. "I-I think he might do something stupid, please, I need help finding him!" He said.

2. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

"Why should we?" Kubi answers bitterly. She looks back at Leon with a slight frown. "You're not a bad person Leon, infact I kinda like you, but your brother friend what ever he is is the biggest peice of douchbag to ever grace this planet third only to Trish and Dexter. So you know what? F*** him. Let him do what he likes."

She shakes her head for the first time in a long time simply in no mood for compassion. "If it is what I think it is, then we'll all be better off with out him anyway. Includeing you."

3. mmarage

Leon just looked at Kubi shocked. "...How... dare you say such a thing...!" He said, digging his nails into his palm as he balled his hands into fists. "He might not be the best person, yeah, he acts like a complete prick at times, but he's my brother, my twin, he's like a piece of me, I lost him years ago, but I have to keep the belief that I'll get him back, and that can't happen if he dies! Another thing you can't say that he's as bad as those two, you don't see him going around trying to murder you, trying to drag you into horrible situations, trying to harm you in anyway possible! He tried to keep you all out of it, he said time and time again that it wasn't a good idea, he did his best to try to cut you all out of it to keep you out of danger! He tries to shut everyone out, that's why he's such an asshole, but somewhere in there is still that sweet kid that I knew, he doesn't deserve to die, and if you all just sit here and just let something as petty as some stupid insults decide that you want him dead, then you're no better than Trisha!" He said, he was shaking with anger, barely stopping himself from going right across the room and smacking Kubi.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  4. Exzalia

"I don't want him dead, I just don't see why I should drag my self injured self out of bed for the sake of someone who has never shown anyone any lick of kindness. In short I don't care about Joe, and you know what? He has made it very clear he feels the same way about me and everyone else, includeing you." She shakes her head.

"Frankly I don't know why you bother Leon, Like an abused child always trying to gain love from an abusive parent, HMPH! You're constant pineing at his feet is pitiful at best." And she crosses her arms unmoved.

5. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

"Yeah, I agree with Kubi!" Nick raised his voice, limping into the area. No crutches this time, but his arm was in a sling because of his shoulder "And how dare he fucking blame us for Trish getting away? If he hated the bitch so much and he was a, quote, 'great ass detective' then maybe it was his job to keep an eye on Trish. Of course, I am kind of glad she got away from Joe. Maybe one day I will get another chance to kill her." And Nick said the last sentence with so little emotion or hatred behind it, that it didn't seem nearly as serious as it was. He had passed out once Kubi had dragged him out of the church, and when he awoke in the hospital the day before he broke down crying. Part of it was due to Trish getting away, but it wasn't only that. It was also the relief at what he had just survived, sorrow at the lack of closure, and a mix of so much else. At the moment, he was unsure whether he was glad or depressed.

6. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

"Hey, Hey!" Max said getting in front of Leon. "There is no need for you to yell at Kubi like that, but Kubi..." He looked over his shoulder at her. "That was pretty cold. We're all having a rough time now, so try and be understanding." He turned his attention back to Leon. "I'll help you find, Joe. Maybe he just went for a walk down at the gardens or up to the roof for some air. How about you check downstairs and I check up stairs? Ok?"

Leon glared at Kubi, ready to punch her for her cruel words. "Injured self...?! My brother has been injured and has done a lot worse than go through a hospital with no one out to kill them or do any real strenuous activity besides walk around without a leg injury might I add! This is a human life, it's my fucking brother's life, you cold heartless bitch! You call me pitiful, you don't want to help because of a few god damn insults! What the hell is wrong with you!?" Leon said angrily, his voice raising, his voice, he took a step forward when Max stepped between them, he took a deep breath and looked at him.

And then Nick jumped in. "All of you just shut up for minute!" Max yelled, which was a rare thing for him. He cleared his throat and pushed the glasses up on his face. "Everyone is stressed to the max and in alot of pain right now. But that doesn't give us the right to be cruel to each other. Nick, Kubi...Joe is having a harder time dealing with the stress then we are right now. The least we can do is make sure he doesn't make a mistake he'll forget. If you don't want to help...fine. But don't go spitting out cruel words either. You too Leon. Making everyone mad isn't going to help you get your brother back.

7. Exzalia

Kubi gets up out of bed approaching the bickering group. She walks right up to Leon fearlessly, after what she's been through being hit by a guy like him was not the least bit concerning. "Leon Joe has to learn that if he abuses others he should not exspect compassion in return, it's not just insults, it's the I'm better then everyone attitude, the way he seems to view us all as incompotent trash degrading us constantly and without mercy."

She grits her teeth recalling what he had said to her that one day, about how her efforts were worthless, how her trauma was nothing. They might have forgotten but she remebered it clearly, she was having a panic attack and he mocked her in her suffuring. It made her angry, it made her hate him more then Leon even realised.

"Whats there for me to like about him hmm? His nonexsitant charm? the way he brags about being the best then blames everyone else for his failers? Or perphaps I should miss his arrogance, Should I shed tears over his never ending cruetly? You talk like I should miss you're emotionally abusive boy friend but I don't. He's an ass and he deserves whatever he gets."

She pauses, "I'll help, but I make no apologies for stateing the truth, he is a massive prick. You must have some love if you can't even see that, especially concidering he treats you the worst. " She put her hands on her hips giveing him a look of annoyance.

8. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Vector's New King
    While the kids continued to bicker about Joe, there was happenings elsewhere in New York City. After receiving the phone call Trisha had packed up her things and promptly arrived at Vector Corp's headquarters two hours later. Her meeting with her mother was scheduled for 9:30 PM.
    She took a deep breath as she sat on the white sofa, resting a hand on her stomach. Her eyes drifted to the clock hanging on the wall. 9:46. The wait continued to drag on, but waiting on her mother wasn't unexpected. Meetings were done on her own timing.

Just like everything else.

Trisha frowned as the blinding white lobby interior glared back at her, mocking her. She didn't feel like smiling. She hadn't for all of her trip here.

She'd blame her mood on her pregnancy, if there wasn't so much else to blame. The thought of her own baby's father made her want to slam her fist into a wall. Or kill the new receptionist across the room that kept tapping her little fingers on the computer keys.

But she couldn't even take joy in that fantasy! Death made her sad, turning her attention to the fact another employee under her was deceased. No, she wasn't in mourning. She never truly liked Courtney Twaddle as a person. She was way too serious, way too boring.

The situation called for sadness because she hadn't enacted the cause, or played a part in it. She hadn't played a part in anything besides being pregnant, tired, and sick! How could a tiny unborn baby make her feel so awful?

Right on cue a sudden bout of queasiness came over her...or was it nerves? Whatever it was, she wasn't going to get sick on the lush white carpet, or anywhere else for that matter. Trisha shifted in her seat and shut her eyes.

"Mrs. Sparkles will see you now." Said a voice, a pitch too high. Of course, the receptionist had come to save the day.

Trisha lifted her head to study the young woman who seemed to be waiting for a response. She managed to stutter a short, "Thanks."

"No problem." The woman answered and walked back to the front desk. Trisha stared blankly after her. No problem? Oh, just you wait.

When Trisha got to her feet, no skip was in her step. What could her mother possibly have to say now? Guessing would be hopeless.

Trisha swallowed as she approached the office doorway and poked her head inside. "Mother?"

Trisha found three people in the room as she entered. The first the familiar face of her mother, the second the one and only Laplace Damon in a black suit a man who’d had more than a hand for putting her in her current position, and the last was an unfamiliar face. Another man, but this one in a blue suit an arrogant smile stretched upon his face at Trisha.

“It’s Mrs. Sparkles.” Doreen snapped with not so much of a glance in her daughter’s direction. “Let’s make this quick.” She muttered, the dark circles under her bloodshot eyes making her glare more intense.

"Sit."

"Yes, please have a seat." Laplace interjected politely.

Trisha did what she was told and sat down in a cushioned chair facing them. Her frown remained as she acknowledged them all with a light nod. "Has something happened?"

"Happened?" Doreen said through gritted teeth. "I'm ruined, you stupid girl!"

"That you are." Laplace said, flashing a grin. "But no reason to be mad my dear Doreen that's all part of the game." His eyes shifted to Trisha. "I officially own Vector Corp."

Trisha's eyebrows raised as her gaze locked onto Laplace. "Since when?"

"Since your mother signed it over to me." Laplace responded. Doreen's head went down as if on cue to her enemy's subtle gloats.

"It...it." Doreen sighed. "Was the only way."

"What?" Trisha gripped the chair as more nausea settled in her stomach. Turning to look at her mother, her surprise was evident. "Why?"

"He...he had too much on us." Doreen's fist balled. "The documents that little shit got from her parents and our business with the Anzhën company funding Icarus. Mr. Damon here has enough resource and influence to cripple us with that kinda information."

Doreen sniffed. "So he promised to save......save the company if I turned it over to him."

Laplace clasped his hands and let out a rich laugh as he took his seat behind what was Doreen's oak desk. "And I promised to give your mother here a part in the direction I'll be taking the Vector Corporation."

"Bastard." Doreen muttered with tears clearly forming in her eyes as she raised her head, her eyes locking with Trisha's. "This is all your fault! You were supposed to get rid of that girl and those papers....and ....and....." Doreen began hyperventilating. "All you did was fuck the son of the bitch that put us in this mess, get pregnant, and torture some idiot high school kids!"

Trisha blinked at the rare sight. She'd witnessed her mother get upset countless times, but she couldn't remember the last she'd seen her cry.

"I...I..." Placing a shaking hand to her forehead, Trisha forced out the words. "I tried my best."

"If you'd of tried your best my company would still be mine! Mine! Mine!" Doreen repeated several more times under her breath.

"Ugh...you two really are like children." Laplace muttered. "Honestly lets cut to the chase."

"I'm sorry Mother...I truly am." Trisha swallowed again to keep her nausea in check. "And what chase, Laplace?"

If she were in a better mood, she would have laughed that her question rhymed. Nevertheless, she glowered at the man.

"Doreen." Laplace nodded.

"You've been terminated." Trisha's mother said a hint of satisfaction in her voice. "Get your things and be out in 30 minutes of we'll call security."

Laplace leaned back in his seat. "And tell the Roxy girl she's free to go as well. I'll provide her with transportation home to her sister."

"No!" Trisha shouted as she could literally feel control slipping right from her fingertips. What control she had left, that is.

Realizing the urgency of her situation, Trisha's expression softened, her voice pleading. "Please, Mom...I...I need my job, think of my baby."

"Just abort the damn thing or put it up for adoption." She rolled her eyes. "I doubt you or that Dexter want that thing. Better it go away then live a life with you."

Trisha clenched a fist, holding it tight at her side. Words she wished to say lingered on the tip of her tongue, the temptation at its absolute high.

"As much as you hate me, I hate you." Her tone was eerily calm as she got up from her seat, glaring at the woman who'd put her through so much pain through the years.

Trisha knew in her darkened heart that Vector Corp wasn't worth such abuse. Not if she was being told to get rid of her own child. No one could tell her who to kill.

"Don't ever speak to me again, Mrs. Sparkles." She sent her one last look before she addressed Laplace. "Good luck with the company, Mr. Damon."

A smile slowly made its way onto her bright lips. "You'll need it."

Before Doreen could open her mouth, the door swung open and there stood Amy dressed prim and proper with various folders in her left hand and a cup of coffee in the right.

“I got what you wanted Mr. Damon.” She said not making eye contact with Trisha or Doreen as she made her way to Laplace's desk setting down the items.

"Amy." Laplace said cheerfully. "You're a life saver."

"Amy?" Trisha's smile dropped in an instant. Looking between her best friend and Laplace, her frazzled mind struggled to put the pieces together. "Wh...what are you doing?"

"Oh." Amy frowned, putting down her head. "Well I didn't quit or get fired, but I did ....well I called Mr. Damon and gave him the information about Icarus....I'm sorry T..Trisha it's just well." Amy coughed. "You were ....well you and your mother were getting out of control. I had to stop it."

"B...b...b...but...Amy." Trisha said as she blinked back frustrated tears. "I thought we were friends."

"Sorry to cut into this touching moment." Laplace said. "But we have a little girl to get back home. Ms. Sparkles please inform Roxy of the good news."

Without another word, Trisha sent a dark scowl Amy's way and stomped out the door. She'd tell Roxy the good news alright, even better than good.

Wonderful.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  9. mmarage

Leon looked down at the ground. "I'm sorry, but he's my brother, if your family was in trouble, wouldn't you do everything in your power to help them? Even if they're complete assholes, you'd still try to help them because they're family... besides Joe wasn't always like this, if you met him before the incident, then you all would have really liked him, outgoing, friendly, and would help anyone in a pinch. Plus... we came into this world together, even if the whole world abandoned me, I know that I can always rely on him... and if I'm right, I think he's going to kill himself, I can't lose him, and I think that if you guys are there, there'll be a better chance of talking him out of it." He said.

10. Exzalia

Kubi opens her mouth to speak, but nothing come out. In that moment she realises something. They weren't so diffrent Leon and her, not so diffrent at all. Both of them loved people who shut them out who hurt them. Joe was Leons rose just as Tina's was hers. Her face softens, her good hand falls on his shoulder.

"Okay...I'll climb up to check if he's on the roof. do you think he is one to throw him self off?"

11. mmarage

"I'm not sure... however the roof does seem like the best bet, no one would be up there at this time, and it would be easier to get into without raising too much suspicion, I would think that if he had the choice he'd make himself a bloody mess for them to clean up in his room, you know, like a final 'screw you' to everyone... however I don't think that in his condition he'd be able to sneak around too well without causing himself a lot of pain and making him take more time than it usually would to break in somewhere." Leon said crossing his arms.

12. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

A blonde young girl walked in a very abnormal way, still those that were in the room pay not attention to her unusual march.
    The room was crafted by pure elegance. A big space surrounded in marble walls ornamented with golden candelabrum and crimson curtains, a long big table of a precious wood covered by a pearl tablecloth and filled by a dinner proper of royalty.

“You took your time Leysritt!!!…” exclaimed a tall woman with a black hair, probably on her 20s.

“I was…. picking a dress… don’t like this one….. mmmm” mumbled on a monotone tone the blonde girl, Leysritt while looking at her blue dress.

“It seems the Jaeger boy ruined your manners, it’s always a custom to be on time for dinner, besides Father has something important to say” stated a young man with a light blonde hair.

Leysritt cocked her head staring at the man in a white business suit, her father, with her usual empty and dull eyes.

“Uuuuum…. Sorry father…” mumbled the girl, yet the man replied with a light laugh.

“Pay no mind, for now let’s enjoy the dinner, it’s been a long time since we all joined in dinner” stated the man, Wolfger Anzhën, and after a toast all begun to eat.

It was in the middle of this eating when Wolfger spoke. “Doreen fell, Icarus worked.” Said a short yet meaningful sentence, then he followed it with a smile saying “I regret missing her breakdown”

Leysritt’s eyes showed no surprise, yet the tall woman’s eyes widened.

“Vector’s director fell?... then who is taking control now?”

Wolfger dran a sip of a wine from what seemed to be an expensive glass before replying. “That’s the issue. I didn’t expect him to do that movement.”

“Who?” replied the woman

“Laplace Damon the owner of Laplace Real State… that and the true business he run” said the man.

For a moment all remained in silence without moving, all with the excepcion of Leysritt who continued eating, as if she didn’t cared at all.

“Is that a good new or a bad one?” asked the blonde man, Zweivell, at which the woman replied in a very excited tone.

“Can’t be a good one, Vector didn’t fell, it’s still an opponent in the weapon’s market!!”

"Silence, I'm asking father" replied Zweivell to the woman

"Don't shut me up!, I, Dreina Anzhël, at difference from you, wouldn't fail on killing a bunch of unexperienced kids!" exclaimed proudly the woman, Dreina.

"Why are you changing the topic Dreina?, you know I'm no killer, they just had the luck of the devil. Anyway let father continue please" concluded Zweivell.

Wolfger pressed his hand against his chin in silence and then spoke in a strong tone.

“For now all remember that we’re still in partnership with Vector Corp, this relationship will probably change with Laplace as the new CPO, still we got to do our best to maintain the stability. Yet…. We have to be careful, Laplace is not a lucky fool like Doreen. Stay on alert.” Stated, and as if it were to be a signal the butlers and maids arrived with the dessert.

Dreina bitted her finger while Leysritt begun to eat her dessert in silence, bothered by this she broke the silence “How can you be so calm, this is serious, like really serious!!” exclaimed excited at which Leysritt replied.

“Uuuum… just… continue with things as they already were…. is no big difference…”

Dreina as if it were to be offended by this was about to scream when Wolfger cut her with a strong laugh.

“C’mon what is this?, don’t be so grim, is just another exciting development, we’ll just have to triumph over it. For now let’s enjoy dessert with Leysritt, it had been a while since we had her with us!!!”

And then the family resumed their dessert with a more relaxed and familiar chatting. Only the woman that never spoke remained in silence all the time, Leysritt’s mother.

13. Exzalia

"Okay, oh...and...sorry. I was mean just, ya know under a lot of stress and in a lot of pian." She shakes her head blushes slightly then heads for the window.

She opens it up gritss her teeth and begins to climb. "I'll meet you there!"

Oh... right, her arm still hurt. five months ago she could never do this, climb witha hurt arm but I suppose one good thing that came from this was some strength. Strength enough to bear with pain, loads of pain. She batts pained tears away, and reaches the roof top barely manageing to pull her self ontop. Now, where was Joe?

14. mmarage

I was standing on the edge of the roof on the opposite side of Kubi, I was just standing there with my hands in my pockets... it seemed like... I was just waiting.

Leon looked at the others. "...I hope you'll come along, but... I understand if you won't." He said, he sighed quietly and walked out of the room and toward the roof.

15. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Max appeared beside Kubi. "I found Tina and Woodrow." He whispered in her ear.
    Tina glanced at Kubi with a worried look. "You're shoulder ok?" She asked quietly.

Woodrow walked towards Joe, his arm in sling and a sad look on his face. "Joe? What are you doing up here?" His tone was calm and compassionate. Like he already knew what Joe's response would be.

16. Exzalia

"I'm fine Max, and I'm not the one you should worry about." She pats him on the shoulder giveing him a reasureing smile. Then approaches Joe.

"The mask is gone? Good, it was about time. But hey listen before you take that step, think about what you are about to do to Leon. If you care about him at all you'll turn around and give that poor guy a hug."

17. mmarage

I stayed silent, I didn't look at Kubi, or even acknowledged that I had heard her.

After everyone that would come up to the roof gathered there, Leon took a step toward Joe. "...Joe? Buddy? Please take a step back, it's very dangerous..." Leon said, I looked over my shoulder at him and smiled, I suddenly turned around, and threw my trench coat behind me, it flew away in the wind, I looked at everyone that had assembled to the roof. "Surprising, I didn't think anyone would come to the burial, besides him." I said smiling, I seemed a lot different... "Joe...? What do you mean by a burial?" He asked.

"Well... I can't call it a suicide... I've just kind of been a corpse that's been walking around for years on end, so... I guess this is just a corpse finally being put where it's supposed to, ya know?" I asked tilting my head, putting my finger to my chin. "J-Joe don't talk like that!" He said, I looked at him and my expression softened. "Leon, it's true, I'm sorry for treating you so badly, and I love you so much, but... I can't keep going on like this... it was nice to see you again though." I said, Leon just looked at me sadly, on the verge of tears, he didn't know what to do... but... that was his brother right there, it was him... he couldn't lose him again...!

I turned to the others and bowed. "It's very nice to meet you all, I apologize for all of my rudeness, I'm Joseph Alexander Doyle, it's a pleasure to finally know you, and it's a shame to say goodbye so soon, please take care of Leon, oh... and to make up for all of my cruelty, please take these." I said, I held up two letters. "Please read the one addressed to you all, not the one addressed to the police, that one is for you to decide on what to do, keep it, give it to them, burn it, all up to you." I said, I tossed them to the ground in front of me. "Later~" I said, I fell backwards quickly smiling.

Leon rushed forward quickly and leaned over the side of the building reaching out for Joe. "JOOOOOEEEE!!!" He shouted at the top of his lungs, he was so far out of reach, everything just went in slow motion for him. I was flying toward the pavement... just smiling up at him. Then... it was over, he hit the pavement far below with a sickening thud.

Leon fell back and hugged his knees to his chest, rocking forward and backward. "He's not dead... he can't be dead... no... no... no...!" He said, his voice was cracking, tears were streaming down his cheeks, next to him were the letters that Joe had dropped for them... his final message to them.

18. Exzalia

Kubi winces as Joe falls off, she winces again as she hears a sickening thud. "Idiot..." She mutters wipeing away the tears forming in her eye's. "You think you redeemed you're self or somthing? can't you see the pain you just put him through? You're just a selfish as before."

She walks up to Leon and twiddles her thumb uncertain. "I'm sorry." It's all she could say, she sits beside him and puts an arm around him. It was all she could do.

19. JessWrite

As the panic finally settled from Joe’s suicide everyone was forced back into their rooms by the hospital staff and by next morning the police were all over them.

Each of them went through questioning but strangely enough the police avoided obvious questions or were called out of the room. When all was said and done none of them were charged with anything except a few trespassing fines.

On the brighter side Laplace fulfilled his promise and Roxy was sent home by plane to an eager waiting Stella who quickly took her younger sister to Cole’s apartment.

Despite it being wrecked it was a good place to get some rest.

Everyone else was discharged from the hospital in the mean time.

---
    Sisters Grimm

"How is my greatest sister in the whole wide world?" Stella said as she took a seat beside Roxy. The relief of being back together soared through her and she wanted nothing more than this moment. Being able to talk again to the only person she'd grown up with her all her life meant everything to her.

Roxy turned, forcing a smile. Her soft blue eyes held hidden secrets that Stella could only guess. But, there was no need to speak about the past or anything to do with the words that started with v and c. That was over. Done. Mr. Damon had guaranteed that.

"Good." Was Roxy's reply as she clasped her hands in her lap.

"I'm glad. I...I really missed you, Rox." Stella draped her arm around her shoulder. "And I've been wanting to tell you for the longest time now, that...I'm sorry."

Roxy sat in silence, staring down at the floor. "Yeah?" she whispered.

Stella tugged gently on one of Roxy's ringlet curls and it bounced like a spring. "Yeah."

While kicking her short legs back and forth on the couch, Roxy let out a shaky sigh.

"It's ok if you're mad at me." Stella bit her lip. "I was wrong not to tell you...about everything, I should have. I really should have. I thought if I didn't you'd be safer, I...I didn't want any of this to happen. I'm sorry, Roxy..." Tears slid down her rosy cheeks, her voice lost in a whisper. "I'm so sorry."

Roxy's forehead crinkled in concern. "Stel...um, can you stop crying? You know I super hate it when you do that."

Stella breathed in deeply. "But...but...it was my fault. Everything was my fault...even, Mom...and Dad."

"No, Stel." Roxy said. "Y...you couldn't stop Mom and Dad from dying. Mom and Dad were...just working with bad people."

"Yes but still they did do their best, with us I mean.” Stella said, dabbing at her eyes with her sleeve.

“Yeah….” Roxy’s voice trailed off. “But our parents working those people….those people from The Web is really cree-.”

"What?" Stella cut in. Her tears dried instantly as she raised her head.

"What do you mean, what?"

"That's what I asked!" Stella shot back.

"What?"

"Stop!" Stella's face paled as her eyebrows raised. "Mom and Dad were working The Web?"

Roxy nodded slowly. "Yeah...unfortunately."

"But Roxy, they worked with the Vector Corporation." Stella said quietly.

"Like I said, they had to do some bad things, with those bad people…..stupid Web." Roxy muttered.

"What?!" Stella exclaimed, jumping up from her seat.

"Come on, that word is really getting old." Roxy said, letting out another sigh. "I thought you knew. I mean, you were all about The Web."

Stella couldn't speak, she hardly heard Roxy's voice. All that she could think was, how...what...why...?! Her face hardened into a scowl as her hand went into a fist.

"Wait, how did you know this? Did...did they tell you!"

Roxy rose from her seat, backing up further to the wall. "Stella...you're shouting."

"They...they told you, our parents...."

"Stella, please calm down! You're scaring me here, I..." Roxy couldn't finish as Stella pulled her close, hugging her tight.

"Our parents made mistakes but...don't you ever think they were bad!" Stella's tone turned frantic. "They were good! They loved us! They loved you, Roxy! And don't believe a single thing you heard while you were with the Vector Corporation! "

"Yeah, um...you're right!" Roxy choked out, squirming beneath her grip.

Even with her efforts, Stella wouldn't let go. "And I love you too and I'm sorry you had to go through all that pain. I'll explain everything to you later. But I want you to know that I'll never ever cause anything like this to happen again. I promise!"

Roxy's gaze softened as she stared back at her sister. "Thanks, but don't worry so much about me Stella. We'll be okay."

A sweet smile made its way onto her lips.

"I'll protect you too. I promise."

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  20. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

An Outlaw and a Gentleman

Thomas leaned against the balcony on his back porch. His right arm was in a sling while his left hand held a cup. Normally, this cup would've been filled with tea. But not today. Today it was filled with Brandy. It was a bottle he'd been saving for a special occasion. Whether or not this day counted as a special occasion, he didn't care. All he knew was that, with his trial pending for the child porn, the shooting and other things he was involved in, he needed it. He was in the middle of taking another long sip when the bell door rang. He sighed. I'm beginning to hate the sound of that door. Perhaps its time to move.
    He left the balcony and set the cup of liquor on the table before answering the door. A heavy sigh escaped his lips once again when he saw who it was. "Dexter. I thought this was over."

Dexter leaned against the door frame. "It its." He replied with a loose smile. "Just wanted to swing by and let you know I was splitting town."

Woodrow shrugged and shook his head, "Ok.... There a reason you felt the need to come all the way here to tell me that in person? You could've just picked up a phone."

"Well...." Dexter's voice trailed off. "Considering all the time we spent together. I figured saying goodbye man to man would be appropriate."

Woodrow silent trying to consider how to respond. Finally he stuck out a hand. "In the end, you were just trying to protect your kid, and you still ended up making things right. I can't say I've completely forgiven you, but I don't hate you either."

"Course you don't hate me." Dexter scoffed. "As far as I can tell I'm the closes thing you have to a friend, even if I'm a friend you don't like."

"Ouch." Woodrow chuckled lightly, holding his chest with his good hand like he'd been shot. "My sister and niece count, don't they?" He stepped aside from the door, and gestured inside. "Want a drink for the road?"

"Sure." Dexter shrugged as he stepped in his eyebrows going up as he realized what Woodrow had just said. "You mean like a drink, drink?" He snorted. "What happened to tea?"

"Not strong enough." Thomas replied with a sad smile. He walked into the kitchen and poured Dexter glass. He handed it to him then picked up his own. "So where are you going to go now? Or do I even want to know."

"Well....normally I'd go underground for a bit or back home." Dexter ran his hand through his hair. "Guess I'll stalk Trisha for awhile and see what she does with the baby and then when the time is right take it away from her or something." He flopped on to Woodrow's couch. "Not really sure, figuring it out, how about you?"

Woodrow shrugged and took a sip from his cup. "I'm being put on trial for possession of child porn, aiding and abetting murderers and known criminals as well as a few other things. Everything is up in the air until after that, and unfortunately my lawyer is not hopeful." He shook his head and took another drink. "No good deed goes unpunished."

"Yeah it does." Dexter grinned. "At least when you hang around me as far the world is concerned you were never involved in any killings and most certainly didn't have any pedophile porn in your house." He winked. "If you get what I'm saying?"

Woodrow stopped mid-drink. "You...cleared my name?" He asked, his eyes widening in disbelief.

"Well I got Laplace to." Dexter smiled. "I told him I'd stir up more trouble if he didn't give me a favor and as opposed to killing me he decided to play along, plus his new position makes these things a cake walk so it the least he could do." His smile faded. "And you deserve it. A man like you shouldn't be lumped in the same class as me."

Woodrow shook his head. "I'm not sure whether I should be grateful or disgusted that you people are capable of such things" He sighed. "Thank you. And good luck with Trisha. If your kid ever needs a place to stay, know my doors are open. Though, I'm sure I'm the first place Trisha would look."

Dexter stood and reached out his hand. “Thanks I’ll keep that in mind and don’t be grateful be disgusted. Laplace now has more power then he has any right to. He owns the Vector Corporation now.” Dexter sighed. “But that bastard will at least be more civil then Doreen and Trisha were."

"Vector? That Corporation is still alive...even after everything?" Woodrow finished what was in his cup, and gripped it tightly. A multi-billion corporation in the hands of the biggest criminal organization he knew. What happened to simple days of it being easy to tell the bad guys from the good guys? The Cops from the Robbers. "I wish you hadn't told me that."

"Hey lets be honest here Thomas." Dexter gave his devilish grin. "Its a good thing to know and besides Laplace might be a criminal but he's also a businessman with more morals then me probably. Better it be in his hands then the others. As for it still being around, it was far to big just to vanish." He scratched his chin. "Plus Laplace knows how to cover things up."

"That's what worries me. Who's going to keep him in check?"

"Like I said he's a moral enough man." Dexter shrugged. "He'll keep himself in check, he's a smart guy and if he doesn't.....then oh well fuck it." He shook his head. "I've pissed off Vector Corp and Laplace enough and how he runs the company is out of my hands."

Woodrow grunted then said sarcastically. "That's encouraging." He set his glass in the sink. "Well, I can't say I hope I'll see you again, but I do hope you try and follow a better path from now on."

"Really?" Dexter turned half way to face the door. "Me? I'm not a man that's cut out for a better path."

"Every man is cut out for it, it just comes more easily to some then others. You're already part-way there. The question is if you want to follow it...for the sake of your child."

"My child....." Dexter muttered. "Yeah....that doesn't sound right." He chuckled.

"It would if you actually loved the mother."

"Trisha is a raging psychotic Woodstock and I'm a con man who's pissed off everything short of world governments." Dexter pointed out. "The kid would better off without either of us."

"Then put him or her up for adoption. I'm sure Laplace would find a way to keep the child hidden."

"Maybe." Dexter bit his lower lip. "I'm actually at kinda of a loss about what to do, but first thing is first I gotta settle things with Trisha." Dexter opened the door and gave Woodrow one last look. "So after all is said and done did you have fun following me and like I said stop living the life of an average teacher for a bit?"

Woodrow's look began serious and sad. "Three of my students are dead because of this. Two more are orphans. The rest are scarred for life both physically and mentally. No, Dexter." He shook his head. "Nothing about this has been fun. I preferred the average life of a school teacher were I was able to change children's lives for the better, but now...I will carry the guilt of what happened to those children for the rest of my life."

Thomas looked at his glass and thought about filling it again, before looking back up at Dexter. "Good luck, Dexter. If we ever meet again, I pray its under far different circumstances."

Dexter frowned but nodded understandingly.

This event had been a disaster and so many lives ruined all because of his mistakes or a company's greed. "Take care of that niece, keep her away from guys like me and best of luck to your sister." He nodded and just like that Dexter was gone from Woodrow's life.

21. mmarage

Leon was sitting in my room, holding the two letters, he wiped away a few tears and shakily tore open the letter addressed to everyone.

'To those who care

If you're reading this now, I am more than likely dead, if not, put this away and forget about it. I still have a job to do and I don't want to drag anyone else into this. However if I am dead, then I must bring the truth to light, as if I have done many times before. Laplace planned all of this, no doubt as you're reading this, he has gained control over the Vector Corporation, at the very beginning he had this all planned out. He ensured that Stella would be endangered due to her discoveries by leaking about her involvement with the Web, thus getting Vectorcorp's attention. This was a game that he had carefully controlled all of the pieces. In this game, he would have won no matter what the outcome. Since Dexter had screwed up, he made sure that everything was escalated, everything that Trisha had done to us left evidence, while separate it would be just circumstantial evidence that might suggest some involvement with the company, though likely just the employees. However when put together it puts together a darker story that would drag Vectorcorp deep down into the mud. So, now that you know, you have two options.

Option one, the letter provided for the police will make me seem like the culprit, I carefully tailored it to make it seem as though I was the one to kill Stella and Roxy's parents, then one of you found out and dragged the others into it, I tried to keep you silent, getting more and more aggressive with my tactics and finally it ended with the blowout at the church, then backed up into a corner, I killed myself.

Option two, I have evidence pertaining to the Web and Vectorcorp hidden in a compartment behind a false back in the cupboard of my desk, and under my bed the carpet can be pulled off, both need keys and a combination. In the event that this letter is compromised, I will give you hints as to where the key is and what the combinations are, first, the key to the truth lies with the ones that I hurt most, second, the day I died will break the lock, finally, the one my heart lies with eternally shall open the door. Now, in there is an assortment of evidence in there, you can go after Vectorcorp and the Web using this.

Whichever option you use, burn this letter, do not let it fall into the wrong hands, and if you do not go with option two, I want you to hide the evidence, it will be your protection, it is the least that I can do for all of my cruelty and selfishness, I hope you all forgive me, but I understand if you do not, I treated you all horribly, I do not deserve an ounce of forgiveness, please choose carefully, please stay safe, or go after the truth, go with however your heart demands.

-The Weak and Foolish Detective
    Joseph Alexander Doyle'

Leon reread the letter over and over again, he sighed deeply and held the letter to his chest. "...Joe..." He said quietly, he stood up quietly. "This has gone on far too long." He muttered, he immediately crossed the room to the picture of us hanging there, he pulled off the picture frame and took the back off of the frame, he saw the key taped to it, he pulled it off and then knelt down in front of his desk, he opened the cupboard doors and took out the books in each one and pushed on them, he discovered the safe door. "...The day you died, certainly not today..." He mumbled, he sighed deeply. "09, 15, 92." He mumbled as he entered the numbers, that was the day that he lost his brother, the day that Joshua was killed.

The door opened and he saw the huge binder, labelled 'Vectorcorp Incident' and the key hanging from the back of the desk, he grabbed it and the binder, he set it on the bed and then pulled the carpet from under the bed, he inserted the key. "...I'd hate to say it, but it's obvious who your heart belonged to." Leon muttered bitterly, he entered in J-O-S-H-U-A to the cryptux. He slid the panel aside and pulled out everything inside, he quickly knew which items were which each one that had been separated into different bags, but had been all labeled 'VI', he set them on the bed.

Leon sighed and turned back toward the desk, that's when he noticed a small letter on the ground, he could see who it was addressed to. 'To the me that lives on', it was clearly in his handwriting. "...Joe..." He muttered, he picked up the letter, Joe didn't live on, he was just a mess on the pavement outside of the hospital, it wouldn't matter if he read it now...

'To the me that is happy... To the me that isn't alone... To the me that is strong... To the me that lives on...

Don't make the same mistakes that I did, shutting everyone out, thinking that you can bear the weight of the world alone. If people are reaching out to you, don't draw your hand away... reach out and take their hands. Yes, it's scary to think that one day you'll end up all alone, that people that you love will be ripped away from you, that you might cause it... But those relationships are what make us strong, they aren't weaknesses. I realize now, how much of a fool I was. To the me that lives on, please, I beg of you, don't make my mistakes! Please let your life be full of happiness, don't allow the bad things to get to you, rely on the people that are around you, to help you shoulder the burden of a heavy heart, don't shut them out.

-The Weak and Foolish Detective
    Joseph Alexander Doyle.'

Leon just looked at the message and began to cry bitter tears. "Dammit...! Damn it all...!" He said, he slammed his fist onto the table. "...He was thinking of living... this is the proof...!" He said, he sat on the bed. "...Why...? Why...?! Why the hell did you leave me all alone!?" Leon shouted at the letter, expecting it to have some answer, but it just had that same message, he felt like the damn thing was mocking his very existence, he threw the letter to the ground and took a deep breath, he got up. "...I know what the others would want..." He muttered, trying to regain his composure, he was shaking horribly, he couldn't bear to throw the letter away... he picked the thing up, resealed it, and then locked it away within the desk, with that, he walked out of the room, with the evidence, binder, and the letter to the police.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, the police found the letter on Abel's desk, it seemed to match up with everything that had happened, they could finally shut the book on everything. The lies that Joe had spun becoming the accepted truth, he was a monster that terrorized the town for his own selfish agenda and put his classmates through hell. It was spread far and wide of the 'Demon Detective' and his heinous crimes.

The evidence was hidden somewhere safe, somewhere where no one would look, until the day that it would be needed once more to combat the Web and Vectorcorp.

22. Exzalia

The end?
    Max had looked everywhere for her, but he couldn’t find Kubi no matter where he looked. She had been awfully silent after the incident with Joe and it worried him. he was on the brink of giving up when a thought occurs to him. He opens the attic climbs in, then climbs out into the cold night air. The forest beyond was dark and foreboding, but in the sky a bright moon shone. Nervously, he climbs onto the roof there she is, standing quietly, looking out to at the world beyond. her hair had been undone and flowed freely in the wind.

“Kubi?”

“Don’t worry, I’m not going to jump.” She says not looking at him. “But, I am thinking about it.”

Max came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, resting his chin on her shoulder. "Well, stop thinking about it. What would I do without my little princess? Not mention you've got that interview with the Circus Ringmaster in a week."

“Oh right...how could I forget…” She sighs her heart heavy and strained, Then she says something odd. “I thought this was over.”

“It is.” Max’s voice portrayed his confusion.

Her head slowly twists back and forth in soft protest. “No, it isn’t, and it never will be.” hard sniffs and laboured breaths follow. “It doesn’t just end Max, the pain lingers, the hurt stays with you like a thorn in your side. I’m still having nightmares, still having panic attacks, I can’t even sleep with the lights off.” She turns around and hugs him tightly sobbing.

“Oh max, how can I just be happy after all this? This isn’t a fairy tale there’s no happy ever after here, I can’t just put away the hell I’ve been through, I can’t just forget it even though I want to. It’s there, it’s always there haunting me tormenting me, Joes death, Rick, the gun men, Peter and Halgieh, Nicks mother. Like my wounds they have scarred me. I’m not the happy little foreigner anymore Max she’s gone, she died when I murdered Rick! I’m not the Kubi you fell in love with. I’m a broken shadow of the girl you knew.”

She looks up at him, her face twisted in in agony and depression. “And I’m sorry for that, I’m sorry I can’t be your happy little Kubi anymore, you, you deserve better than this. Some one strong, happy cheerful.” Her voice begins to rush a little, she points a quivering hand towards the city in the distance, shaking her head she stammers.

“You deserve to move on and live a good full happy life with a happy wife who can speak english better, and and cook American food, and has blond hair and blue eye’s and can hold a job and gets the culture and make you feel happy when you come home, someone who can care for you.” She turns away with a look of shame. She rubs her injured arm frowning at her self.

“ I can’t do that, I can barely hold it together with out you close by, I’m needy, worthless, pitiful, weak. You deserve better than me, so…” She swallows, hard and forces the words out of her mouth “I’m going to end our relationship before you grow anymore attached and I’m going to leave. I’ll go back home, or, or something and leave you in peace. Max I want you to find someone who will lift you up, not drag you down. And if you are happy, then, maybe, just maybe...”

She shakes her head, and breaks down in a flow of tears. She collapses on her knees. “...I can find some happiness too.”

"Kubi..." Max crooned as he kneeled in front of her. He put his hands on her shoulders. "You make me happy. I don't want someone who's my servant; who has the perfect body or cooks or works to take care of me. That stuff isn't important to me."

He lifted her chin. "You are what I want. Your cute way of speaking English, your spicy Vietnamese food. The way that you care about everyone, and love people. How you love me...need me. That's all I've ever wanted." He said passionately. "Someone who feels like they can rely on me. Someone who cries on my shoulder, relies on me for strength. Someone who needs me."

He rested his forehead on her hair. "I want to be the one to care for you...not the other way around. So, please...don't say you’re going to end this. You are what makes me happy. No one else could do the same."

“You know, I promised myself I would be strong, for your sake. I promised myself I’d push you away when you got close, that I’d let you go for you’re own sake. I should've just left instead of putting you through a painful goodbye, but.” She sighs, “I’m, so damn happy to hear that you want a broken girl like myself, I don’t think I have the strength to push you away. Or to leave you even for your own sake. I should have known, I’m not very strong.” Kubi looks at Max’s kind eye’s, her face can’t hide it. There is a small quivering smile underneath the stream of tears.

Max smiled and chuckled, "You're so cute when you're trying to be strong like that." He kissed her, then pulled back and brushed the tears off her face. "You know, you've got to stop thinking about others so much and think about yourself for once. If you don't you'll burn yourself out.”

He was about say more when he heard someone slam the door downstairs and yell in annoyance, "Kubi!? Max? Where are you guys?" Max sighed, "I'll talk to Tina. You going to be ok?" He asked, trying not to let his worry show.

“With you worrying about me I think I’ll be okay.” She smiles. Kubi jumps a little at the sound of the door slamming. “Goodness, that Tina I tell ya. I’ll be okay Max, it’s seems as long as you’re around I can get through anything.”

"There you are!" Tina huffed. "I've been looking for you two for hours now. Seems like you guys are running off to spend lovey dovey time together every chance you get. So, where is Kubi anyway." She asked looking around him.

"She's up in the attic, but before you go up there I need to talk to you." Max replied sternly.

"Ok....what?"

"Kubi has been through so much already. She's at the point of breaking...for good. So, I'm giving you fair warning. If you do ANYTHING to hurt her again, I swear I won't forgive you this time. And as far as you and I are concerned, you'll no longer be a Leone."

"Max." Tina made a face, at his harsh words. "Kubi is my best friend. You know I'd never do anything to hurt her on purpose. I want to protect her as much as you do."

"Maybe, but you do. But wherever you go...people get hurt and killed. I can't even count the number of people you've killed on one hand anymore."

"Hey!" Tina protested harshly. "That's not fair. Everything I've done has been to protect you, Kubi and everyone else."

"Yeah, I know you think that Tina. But to be honest, I think more of it has been to protect yourself." He sighed and guestured with his thumb to the stairs leading up to the attic. "Just remember what I said, Tina. If you hurt her..."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. You'll disown me." Tina mocked. She trotted past him, and up the stairs to Kubi.

Kubi was sitting quietly looking out at the city, she doesn’t notice Tina approaching. It’s clear she had been crying from the stains on her cheek. What for she didn’t know. But at least now she seems okay. Quieting humming a lullaby in her native language.

“Hey. Kubi. There you are!” Tina said cheerily, not letting the pain from Max’s words show. “Been looking around forever.” She took a seat beside her friend and bumped her shoulder, frowning at the tear remains on her cheek. “You ok? Did you get hurt?”

“Oh.” Kubi chuckles wiping away any left over tears. “It’s nothing, just me being a cry baby. haha you know me!” She shakes her head.

“I wish I were more like you Tina, you never cry.”

Tina shrugged. "Not never. But...I've got too many people depending on me to cry. Like I’m being weak if I do."

Kubi scratches her head. “Ya...I must look really weak to you then huh?”

"What?" Tina asked incredulously. "No not you. Me. I'm supposed to be the tough one. The ex-gangbanger. The girl that nothing gets to." She sighed. "When someone like you cries, its ok. Understandable. People want to comfort you. When people like me cry...everybody wonders why you're being weak. But whatever."

“Not me. I don’t think you’re weak if you cry. I mean, that’s something humans just do right? Like laughing or getting angry, it’s not a weakness it’s just well, being human.” Kubi leans in smiling warmly

"Maybe. But its too bad not everyone sees it that way." She smiles sadly, then looks down at her knees, a look of shame on her face. "You know I love you right? And I'd never do anything to hurt you. Least not on purpose...right?"

Kubi blinks at the odd question. “Uhhh duh? Come on Tina of course I do! You know I do! for all you’re thornyness you were still the only one to give me a home. Not the Leons, not Woodrow, not even Max did that. You, you did Tina and nothing I do will ever be enough to make it up to you.” She snuggles in and gives her a tight hug.

“And nothing you do will ever stop me from hugging you, my beautiful little rose.”

23. JessWrite

Peace

"Hold on, I'm coming!" Stella yelled as the doorbell rang for the third time. She hoped it wasn't another questioning policeman. Since she and Roxy had taken residence at Cole's apartment, those pesky authorities hadn't left them alone. Of course, no one thought of their privacy! More importantly Roxy's. After all she'd been through, Stella believed her sister had earned plenty of peace and quiet.

Stepping up to the door, she twisted the knob and swung it wide open.

Dexter leaned against the door frame an almost used up cigarette stuck between his lips. "Hello Stella, how's the boyfriend?" He asked giving her a somber look.

Stella rolled her eyes at the sight of him. She had half a mind to shut the door in his face for all the danger he'd caused for them, but he had played a major role in her rescue. "Doing better." she muttered. "But um, why are you here?"

His eyes brows went up as he stuffed his hands into his pocket. "Oh ya know? I was just passing by, decided to see how things were going." He gave a small smile. "So....is everything alright?"

Stella gave him a hard scowl in return. "Look, I don't know what you really want, but it would be much easier for the both of us if you'd tell me now."

"Simple." Dexter said. "I want to apologize, so I will..... I'm sorry." His eyes softened. "For everything."

Silence hung in the air as Stella turned away from him. Folding her arms, she swallowed back her constant threatening tears. No, she wouldn't cry in front of this man.

"Thanks I guess...but it's still hard." She whispered. "Hard to say that we're alright."

"No need to say thanks to me." Dexter's teeth showed. "I don't want you to have a heart attack or anything. How's your sister?"

Before she could answer, Roxy bounced into the room. "Hey Stel, who's there?"

"Mr. Dexter Craftian." Stella said over her shoulder in disdain. "He was just asking how you were doing."

A Pepsi can crunched beneath Roxy's shoes as she walked over to Dexter. With one hand on her hip, she stared up at him, coldness in her gaze. "Why do you care?"

"Well, your sister knows." Dexter gestured towards Stella. "Even if I'm a bad guy doesn't mean I can't play a good one and good guys care." Suddenly the man who'd been both a savior and a curse to them knelt down in front of Roxy. "Sorry I couldn't save you."

Roxy's delicate face contorted in pain at his words. "Sorry?! You're not sorry!" Her shrill yells echoed off the walls. "Sorry can't bring my parents back, you jerk!"

In a single swift motion, Roxy distanced herself and pulled a revolver from behind her back. Aiming it with shaky hands at Dexter's head, she shut her eyes and without another thought, she squeezed the trigger.

Stella's desperate screams were lost in the crackled gunfire as the bullet soared.

---

So that’s it….cut down by the girl he tried to save dammit why didn't it register. He saw her move and he saw the gun but….everything just sort of moved in slow motion.

When did he lie down? He could barely make out the pink shoes of his slayer as the world around him started to fade as did his consciousness. Heh....the shrieks of terror sounded miles away now and his lips couldn't help but turn up into a smile.

Things hadn't been this peaceful in years.

---

Two Days Later

A gust of air tossed Stella's curls into her face as a nurse rushed by. The same speedy woman had shuffled from room to room and hadn't once noticed her leaning against the wall. Maybe it was because her bland clothing matched the medical environment. Or, because her solemn expression seemed to say, 'don't talk to me, someone just died.' Which actually wasn't far from the truth.

Many had died, but one in particular was stuck in her thoughts. The nightmarish scene replayed back again as her questions resurfaced. Like, how her sweet, innocent sister who usually left bad things to books, could kill a person.

How had Roxy of all people, managed to justify taking a life? What had made her do it, really? Stella's mind once again went numb as she struggled to comprehend; to understand. Breathing out a sigh, Stella folded her arms and pressed her back further into the wall.

After Cole was dismissed all she wanted to do was live life the normal way, without anymore worries, gunfights, or deaths. If only she could leave this hospital with her heart healed and not broken, she would be happy.

“Hey Stel.” Said a weak voice as Cole materialized. His face was covered in various bandages such as on the bridge of his nose, chin and both his cheeks. His gaze was aimed at the ground and his shoulders no longer upright with confidence but slouched and a reddish rash was around his neck from where Garrison had put the steel collar on.

"Hey!" Stella said, though she lacked her usual enthusiasm. Walking up to Cole, she put her arms around him in a soft hug, careful not to hold him too tightly. When she pulled back, the corners of her mouth went up in a forced smile. "You're looking so much better."

"D...d...don't hug me." He muttered, turning his head away from her. "You didn't have to come."

"But I wanted to see you." Stella paused and clenched her fists at her sides. "No, I needed to see you."

"I sold you out." He said bitterly as he pushed past her, making his way to the exit door.

"Wait, Cole!" Stella's quick footsteps sounded behind him and she skidded to a stop, blocking his path. Blinking back tears, she absentmindedly touched his shoulder. "Look, I'm okay now...it's all over!" She said in cracked stutters. "It's finally done, we...we...won."

"Yeah...." He sighed. "You're okay." Cole swallowed as water formed in his eyes. "B...but what if you hadn't been?"

"I don't want to think of the 'what ifs', Cole." Stella's chin quivered with each word. "All of this has been terribly difficult and might still be for awhile, but I need to think of right now, between us. I need you."

"I caved in when you needed me to be strong." Cole leaned against the wall. "I almost got you killed Stella!?"

"It wasn't your fault!" She shouted. Her cheeks instantly blushed pink at the echo through the hospital hallway. "I mean, I know you did what you could but, please...don't take the blame. If things wouldn't have worked out like they did, we might still be fighting an endless battle."

Stella pursed her lips, staring into him with her hollow gaze. "We have bigger things to focus on."

"Yeah...." He muttered his eyes still averted away from hers. "....what's going on?"

"Roxy." Stella's tone dropped as lines of worry etched in her forehead."She's...not well. I don't know how to help her; I can barely talk to her anymore Cole...it's like she's not even my sister."

Cole bit his bottom lip. "Yeah....you told me....is it true she shot that man?" He asked concerned.

"Roxy, made a very big mistake..." Stella began at the exact moment the ignorant nurse bumbled by, whistling loudly to herself. Stella grimaced. She had had enough of this nasty place that smelled like Lysol. Taking a step forward, she pushed open the exit door. "Can we talk about this more somewhere else?"

Cole nodded slowly and followed Stella outside. "Well of course it was a mistake...." Cole said. "But how did it happen?"

"He came to the apartment to see us. Roxy pulled out a gun and...you know." Stella said while squinting in the harsh sunlight. "She had an intense hatred for this man and thought he was the one that killed our parents, which we both know wasn't the case. I...I...think they must have said something to her, Cole. Her mind isn't the same."

"Well shit." Cole said under his breath. "Where the hell did she get a gun?"

"Probably the same way as everyone else..." Stella picked up her pace down the sidewalk. "She took it from someone."

"Or...." Cole's voice trailed off. "It was given to her."

"What?" Stella stopped and turned on her heel. "Who would do that?"

---

Deceit

Trisha sighed as she paused at the wooden door which was down the hall from her mother’s office. That little pest had been here for some time now…and Trisha hardly had the strength to keep pretending she cared.

She prayed her baby was not as needy as this child.

Trisha gave a small knock before twisting the door knob and stuck her head in. The room was a pretty shade of light blue with various clouds painted on the wall.

It didn’t match the rest of the office rooms at all and looked more like a play pen then anything else, in fact a gaming console and a TV were in the corner along with various books.

"Roxy." Trisha whispered. "Its me T- Anita are you awake?"

"Yeah I am!" A head of messy curls came into view as Roxy bounced up from where she sat reading a large book. Her smile grew, staring at the woman who she called a friend. "Hey, Anita! What's up?"

She wanted to scowl....oh....soooo much but a genuine smile formed on the face of Trisha as a delicious idea came to mind. "Ohhhh nothing much." She said cheerfully kneeling down to her level, making eye contact. "I've got some news."

Roxy gasped in excitement. "Is it happy news?"

Trisha gave a sad smile.

She'd been put in charge of keeping the girl's spirits up while also keeping her nice and blind and dumb and happy. That’s what the girl reminded Trisha of more than anything. The words dumb and happy.

They'd even remolded this room to keep her in. "Roxy honey it's good and bad. Vector Corporation can no longer protect you." She said.

Roxy's mouth fell open as her face drained of color. "Aww...why?"

"I'm afraid...." Trisha swallowed. "The Vector Corporation is under new management and he is sending you home to be with your sister." Trisha pulled Roxy in close for a hug. "She misses you very much."

Roxy didn't leave her embrace. "Oh..." she muttered.

Roxy suddenly found her cheek being pinched. "Come on Roxy, cheer up. You're gonna be seeing your big sissy soon!" She exclaimed before her face became serious. "But still be careful Roxy there is something you have to know." Trisha sighed.

"Those awful men I told you about. Remember The Web?"

"Yeah." She nodded and a frown appeared on her pouty lips. "What about them?"

"They....they'll be leaving you alone." Trisha sniffed. "But the man you remember, right? The blonde man who killed your parents, the same man who was going to trade you off to The Web. The man I saved you from."

"Dexter." Roxy said between gritted teeth.

"Yes." Trisha sighed again. "He's well, he's been working with your sister and her friends. He's weaseled his way into their circle and please Roxy believe me. As long as he is around, you and your sister will not be safe."

Roxy's brow creased in thought. "Then how can we get him to leave us alone?"

"Listen carefully Roxy." Trisha leaned in close. "If you see him, there is only one thing you can do."

---

"Beats me." He shrugged. "Maybe that man she shot pissed off someone at Vector Corporation or something and they just used her to get to him." Cole said making a deduction from the evidence he could gather. His eyes began to tear up again. "Dammit." He said wiping at them.

Stella walked nearer to Cole and a pained smile appeared as she brushed against his shoulder. "It's okay to cry." She whispered. "Whoever it was, they'll get what they deserve...someday."

"Yeah but what about all the other stuff." He said, shaking his head. "Roxy, Joe, you....fuck!" He shouted and balled his fist, his bandaged fingers digging into his palm.

"What matters is that we're alive; that you're alive." Stella said as she put her arms around his neck and without warning, she kissed him.

All the previous anger, frustration, and pain faded away as they tenderly held onto each other. And when the kiss was broken, neither could say a word before their lips met again, both wishing in their hearts this new chapter in their lives would be...way cooler than the last.

---

New York

“Sir, may I ask why would you let Trisha be the one to inform Roxy of the news she was free to go home?” Amy asked fixing her glasses as she watched her new boss set up dominos on his desk. “I told you she’d been lied to into becoming another one of Trisha’s sick little games.”

Laplace’s eyes were narrowed as he carefully placed each domino in front of the other. “Yes, so I decided to let Trisha use Roxy to what she’d groomed her for and that is a weapon.”

A small smile formed on Laplace’s face. “Not at first but Trisha is incredibly dangerous and a selfish psychotic. She wouldn't pass up the chance to get back at a man who beat her at her own game.”

Amy snorted and had to bite back to the urge to spit from the bad taste his name was going to leave in her mouth. "Dexter....."

"Exactly." Laplace said as he finished setting up the final domino. "A few months and I crushed three of mine and The Web's enemies.” A soft giggle escaped his lips. “The Talons made it difficult to operate in Chicago, street thugs with trigger fingers are bad for work so I gave those kids the resources they needed to wipe them off the face of the Earth....that or I'd of simply hired the Talons had Jonas not died and then killed him off to. He wasn't one to be trusted."

Laplace made his way around his domino covered desk and collapsed down into the large chair that once belonged to Doreen Sparkles. "Then there was the Vector Corporation the biggest threat out of any of them. A media company with their fingers in every other business going on with enough influence that could operate on a multinational scale to the point they were keeping my own and my associates legitimate businesses under. So I simply made sure things escalated between Stella, the other children and them."

Amy understood now. This…all the death and violence had been Laplace’s doing. “You made sure this all escalated so you could take control of Doreen’s company….but what about Dexter?”

"He wasn't a direct threat to me." Laplace admitted. "But Dexter has a habit of ruining the lives of others and is also a man who leaves many allies dead indirectly. To top it off he's the sort of selfish person who would prefer that nobody win instead of somebody. He needed to be dealt with before that happened to me."

This man was terrifying. Amy swallowed as her breathing quickened slightly he’d taken control of one the most powerful company’s in the world and hardly had to lift a finger. He controlled various criminal groups, two companies and could now operate in almost every country there was.

He wasn't insane like Trisha or Doreen, Amy knew that but he wasn't ordinary he wasn't a monster he was something worse.....a businessman.

"What will you do now?" She asked.

"Simple." He said, readying his finger. "I'm going to make some changes around here." And he preceded to knock down the domino.

The End

...For Now :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.