1. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Can nouns turn into modifers successfully?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by peachalulu, Oct 21, 2012.

In a scene I'm writing I've got two characters one in pajamas the other topless. One bare shoulder winds up brushing a pajama-ed
    shoulder. Thats how I wrote it pajama-ed. Technically not a word. The scene is jumped into but I suppose I could have explained the
    clothing situation to avoid this. In fact the scene may not even make it into the story but it got me to thinking - can a writer
    successfully turn a noun into a modifier? or does the reader smirk and think the writer is being too 'clever'.
    Ironically, I did it to avoid an extra sentence not really to be experimental.

Jude leaned over untill his bare shoulder brushed Alice’s pajama-ed shoulder.

I suppose I could've just said Jude leaned over untill his bare shoulder brushed Alice's pajama clad shoulder.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are nouns that have corresponding adjectives, e.g. buttered, booked, penciled, watered. Pajamaed is in the dictionary, not hyphenated. But be careful about coining your own.

Remember to use a dictionary if you have one. If you don't, get one! Or more than one.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yup!... all of that...