1. Delrohir

Delrohir Member

Changing perspective briefly

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Delrohir, Sep 27, 2015.

I have got to a certain chapter in my book where I know exactly what I want to happen in that chapter, but when I write it from the perspective (still third person) of the main character it just, sounds wooden...

So for this chapter I am thinking of writing it from the perspective of his companion. It will be an interesting opportunity I think for the reader to see the main character from a different angle.

What do you guys think? How would you smoothly change the perspective?

Thanks,
    -Del.
    :supercool:

2. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Contributing Member Contributor

Bret Easton Ellis did it in a chapter in his book American Psycho where he switched from first-person to third-person, partially to accentuate Patrick Bateman's dissociation, and to allow for an objective narration of the event. It was an erratic scene, to say the least. And I doubt it could be done without the sudden change in narration.
    He used a creative method to indiciate the change of first and third person.

"I walk down the sidewalk...
    ...Patrick sees a girl he would like to vivisect, maybe play with her offal..."

3. hilal

hilal Active Member

I'm no expert but you will have to experiment a little. Post different samples here and we will figure it out together.

Delrohir and Aaron Smith like this.