Coloring Your Hair

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nburwell, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I have dark brown hair. It looks black, but its brown.
    One time I tried to make it a lighter brown, but it just turned my hair voilet, brownish red.
    It was weird and kinda funny.

2. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Ha......!!!!!!!I wsih I'd tried something that sort......would've freaked my Mother....lol

3. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

It was not very funny.
    I hate my dark brown hair. Because people always ask me if my hair is black when it isn't.
    Its very annoying.

4. Neha

You hate the idea tha your hair are so brown they can be black??? cos you hate black..??

5. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

No.
    I hate it because my hair is brown.
    I hate misinformation.
    That is all.
    Just like I hate typos, spelling mistakes, and more typos.
    They are like farts that just won't go away.

6. Neha

:p.......I like black here.....though amost all grls n my class are after light bown or blonds, which I most definately hate.....*pulls a face*

7. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Black is my favorite color though.
    I like wearing black pants with black shoes and blue shirts.

8. Neha

LOL.........I love anythn black........I'm black myself........well yah dark-complexion, the only in my family....:( if you saw me, the first thing you'd notice would be my eyes........the kohl I apply can be spotted from a distance.......lol....I LOVE black eyes though......:p....

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I have gray eyes.
    Like a charcoal gray more then gray.
    My left eye is lighter then my right.

10. Quills By Pen

Quills By Pen Active Member

Yes, I color my hair. It is Red - Red - and more Red. ::giggles::

11. Neha

genuine grey eyes..??:-o !!

12. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Genuine.
    I get it from my great gradfather on my dad's side.

13. Neha

LUcky you.......I've only seen the fake ones those people put in soaps........

14. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Lucky.
    Yeah I'm really lucky.
    Getting stopped and getting questions about colored contacts.

15. Neha

LOL..........at least you're friends don't call you blind cause you DO wear lenses and have 6/4 lens vision.......lol

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

natural...

near-black... and, at 70 come september, with only a bit of grey at the sides of my hair line... still not enough to be noticed without a close look...

because i think it's dumb/stupid to do so... but then, i think the same of makeup, plastic surgery, bras and 'foundation garments'... or anything else that changes your natural appearance to something unnatural, for any reason...

...once, and only once, back in my early 30's, when grey was decades away from appearing, i had my hair dyed its own color, hoping to make it 'coarser' to look thicker, since i've always had baby-fine, thin hair and it got thinner with every one of my 7 kids... it was a disaster, as the coloring agents at that time [late 60's] all had to use henna to achieve anything near black, and when exposed to the sun, your hair would turn purplish... since i lived in the arizona desert, you can imagine the result!... never once considered dying ever again... besides, since then, i realized that accepting how you look naturally is the only 'right' way to live...

...see above... plus, those who do look ridiculous or worse, when clearly way past the age when their hair could possibly be that color...

...though those who do it may think so, imo it's just a sad need to please others and not be content with yourself 'as is'...

...why should it annoy me?... it's their right to do it, so i have no right to 'mind' if they do... but i do find it laughable and sad...

17. lessa

lessa New Member

natural colour coffee brown. try to keep it that colour but the white is taking over so I do have to colour it.
    I do not have the colour in my face to let it go white. If I did then I would not colour it at all. But curly white hair on a white face just does not give me any confidence at all.

18. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

You must think I am a very stupid/dumb person then. Why is it stupid to wear a bra, theyare for support with your back. Why is it dumb to wear make-up and stuff? You wear clothes don't you, and I bet you wear clothes that you like the look of, isn't it just the same thing ??

19. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

My hair is natural now but I have died it in the past. My hair is naturally very dark brown with proper natural red in it (seriously red, not ginger/auburn) and i've died it the same colour as it is anyway, bright flurescent pink/red and then black after the fluoresencent pink stripped the colour and left it white with ginger roots (which brown didn't cover).

Initially, I died it brown because my hair is very greasy and my hairdresser suggested it would dry it out a little bit and make it more manageable. Then I did it red because I liked the colour. The black was to cover the mess the red made once it started to fade... but then I died it black a couple more times coz I liked it :p

Not dyed for ages now.

20. mammamaia

no, that's not what i said... even the smartest person can do dumb things now and then...

women's backs didn't need them for millennia... and the majority of women in the world today still go around naturally...

imo, because people who do, want to look like something other than what they are... and what they look like naturally should be good enough... trying to fit someone else's idea of what looks 'good' leads to all kinds of bad stuff... humans are the only living creatures that try to look like what they're not, for reasons other than safety and survival [or, in the case of some male critters, to attract the females]... if that's not silly and stupid, i don't know what is...

no, it's not... i wear as little in the way of 'clothes' as possible... only a single shift-like dress and nothing else... and i wear whatever i come by for free, not caring much what it looks like, as long as it's comfortable...

i have only 3-4 dresses that are for everyday use, 2 that i can go shopping in [w/ pockets, so i don't need to carry a 'purse'] and a couple that are a bit more 'presentable' in case i have to meet with people who care about such things... beyond that, all the clothes i own are my old 'travel' dress that's taken me all over the world, and 3-4 nightgowns [but i only wear 1 that's my favorite, in re comfort... when that wears out, i'll switch to another]...

in my old life, i was hooked on makeup and fancy clothes just like so many others in so-called 'civilized' society... thankfully, i grew older and wiser and now realize how stupid and dumb i was...

21. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma New Member

You don't buy clothes and won't wear a bra...I assume underwear also....but you have a computer and internet?

I don't get it...

22. Heather Louise

I disgagree with that trying to be someone else thing Maia, it is not about that at all. I wear make-up every day, not because the lasses want me to, cos quite frankly I don't care. Not because the lads like it better, because I only really care what Jordan thinks about stuff like that and he actually told me the other night that lasses look pretty without make-up. I wear make-up for myself. Because I feel more confident within myself, and I feel that if I have a little make-up on, I am not worrying about what people think, and instead focussing on school work/ whatever else I am doing at the time.

Good on you if you feel good enough within yourself to wear what you want, and not wear make-up etc, but it is unfair to judge people that do, saying it is stupid and dumb.

And another question for you, do you cut and wash your hair? just out of curiosty.

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think that's a bit strongly stated, and I can see where someone could find that insulting.

Can someone be who they are and still wish to present themselves in the best away possible? That, to me, is part of self respect. Not all pride is a bad thing. Pride is what makes us put in our best efforts. Pride is what makes us take good care of ourselves.

I am not attacted so much by makeup or clothing. But I am attracted by someone who obviously respects herself and likes herself. That shows in the fact that they DO pay attention to their appearance, in whatever manner they see fit.

Please honor those of us who do not think that is stupid or silly.

24. mammamaia

i don't/didn't mean to dishonor anyone for doing what they want... and apologize for any offense taken... but i was referring to humankind in general, not anyone in particular... from a philosophical and anthropological pov, makeup is not 'natural' and wasn't ever needed... the need was created and made popular by those who 'invented' it and is kept popular by those who sell it...

simply stating facts and voicing my opinion that the concept of changing one's appearance is 'silly and stupid' is not the same as saying that those who do it are... and i don't believe i said that... nor would i...

right, right, and right, i don't... and yes, i do...

don't see what one has to do with the other... using the latest in communication devices has nada to do with what i wear... what's not to get?... when i travel off the island, i don't go by canoe, either... i go by plane... ;-)

of course i do!... keeping clean has nothing to do with being 'natural' or otherwise... we don't come out of the womb 'dirty' after all... only covered with natural stuff i won't detail, for the delicate-stomached among us... but i only cut my hair when my skinny little braid that i keep wound in a tiny bun gets too long to manage easily... and then i just hack an inch or so off the end with whatever scissors are handy... haven't had my hair 'done' since i gave up all of that artifice along with all alcoholic stuff and eating fellow animals, or using anything made from them, or anything else i feel is 'wrongful'... key word there is 'i'...

25. Heather Louise

In response to washing your hair being hygienic, I actually read this artical in my mams magazine that said if you do not wash your hair for long enough, then the natural oils in your hairs will clean it for you, and you can have really healthy hair without washing it. Don't fancy trying it myself like.

I do understand where you are coming from with wearing make-up is not natural, but neither is being able to fly, as communicate with people across millions of miles, In my opinion. I guess it is up to the individual to decide what they are willing to accept or not.