Cultural barriers are restricting my writing ... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Malkhalifa, Jan 27, 2013.

1. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Personally, I wouldn't add the romance just to appeal to the selling market, especially when you don't care for it. A good book will sell no matter what kind of content is in it, so worry more about writing a good story instead of what should be put in there to suit others expectations.
    If you do feel the need to keep the romance in there though, no one says you have to add sex. Love isn't about sex alone. There are a million different ways of showing characters care for each other without downright throwing them into hot and steamy sex every chance they get. Maybe instead they go out for a romantic dinner, or something along those lines. Maybe the guy leaves the girl little gifts at work/home just to remind her how much he cares about her, etc etc. Things like that could work as an easy substition for sex scenes. If you really absolutely need the sex scene though, I would follow the characters up to a certain point and then leave them. An example of such is like this bit taken from a oneshot:
    Instead of taking it though he reached out and drew you into him, bringing you into his kiss. For a moment you were too stunned to think, too stunned to respond. But damn was his kiss enchanting. Somehow pulling away you found you couldn't escape completely, he held you firm. Swallowing you glanced into his handsome face, your thoughts demanding for more. It took you a minute to realize he was pulling the tea from your hand and setting it down on the table. Somehow you felt disappointed, thinking the kiss was just a one time thing. But it wasn't, the moment Fuji had the tea out of your hand he gently pulled your face towards his and kissed you deeply. This time you melted into it, it was just so passionate.
    You sighed when his lips left your own, but still he held you. His hands slipped down your neck and shoulders, down your sides to your hips where he drew you against him even more. His lips brushed your cheek, then your ear, then he trailed to your neck, his lips leaving butterfly kisses. At some point his hand trailed upward again, pulling your sweater away from your neck. You found that you couldn't move, couldn't say a thing, instead your hand came up and rested itself against his arm, you turned you head giving him better access to your neck. He was just so hard to refuse. Closing your eyes you felt him picking you up, his arms so firm and promising.
    "_" he whispered in your ear.
    "Fuji" you sighed.
    "Be my tennis queen?"
    You smiled and nodded, taking in the warmth of his body, the comfort of his being, his intoxicating scent. This was really Fuji, this wasn't a dream, it wasn't some trick. It was real; it was everything you could ever dream of. He was everything you could ever dream of.
    Two hours later found you lying in his arms, wrapped in that loose velvet red shirt of his. Somehow you had managed to find your room, where passion had taken over your thoughts. He was apparently an athlete in the bedroom too, though he wasn't rough like he was with tennis. He was something else entirely.
    It's still hinting at a sex scene, but what happened during that scene is only known by the two characters and avoids any sort of frowning that may arise by audiences. Except maybe, the disappointed audiences who would have prefered to read said details, but that's not my point.
    Anyways, in terms of the cursing, if you feel like you don't need it, don't add it. I've read countless books that's avoided outright cursing (they merely used things like "she swore heavily") and was perfectly fine. No one said you had to use the actual words to convey the point.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Well, gee, I sure can't argue with ironclad logic like that. :rolleyes:

3. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický New Member

Its not like if you play football, you need your mom in the bench.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Again, if he gets published, odds are that people will notice.

5. AndyB

AndyB New Member

and beside that, if your poured your soul into a novel wouldn't that be something you would want to show pride in?

How could you possibly be proud of your work if you cant even show it to your mom?

say stuff like 'i'd sex it up and not care' but i would think the original post makes it clear that family is something of value to him and the feelings of that family are not something he treats with such a cavalier attitude or he would never of made the post to ask for advice to begin with

6. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 New Member

As a fellow writer I have to be honest with you. Don't give a damn about what they think. If you write a story, you write it so that other people enjoy it. Now don't get me wrong, there will always be someone that won't like your story. But if you're too afraid to use the freedom that writing gives you when it comes to expressing your thoughts, maybe you shouldn't do it. Or at least not have a love interest. I tell you this because if you really wanted a love interest, you would have put one in already and not even start this thread.

7. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 New Member

he could use a pseudonym

8. AndyB

AndyB New Member

an intelligent comment if ever i saw one but a pseudonym isn't 100% sure to stay anonymous forever.

just look at the author behind the semi-autobiographical secret diaries of a call girl who wrote as Belle de Jour

she has now been outed when some found out who cashed the checks and even has her picture and real name on the wiki for Belle

9. Khaelmin

Khaelmin Active Member

Although I've always liked profanity in a written piece, I think you could live without it, or put something milder instead, like 'damn' or 'to hell with it'. I think I've always liked it because, personally, I find swearing funny. The filthier the more hilarious. I don't know, maybe I'm immature.

Now, feel free to disregard the following section if you feel it's ignorant. Obviously, I don't know much about the cultural differences between Bahrain and Turkey. Being from the western... -ish, part of the world, our media doesn't always do it's best to dispel the stereotypes about the Muslim countries. I'm sure the two nations are as diverse as can be.

A few years ago I picked up a translation of Orhan Pamuk's 'My name is Red'. If you haven't read it, do so, it's a masterpiece. The author received the Nobel prize for it back in 2006. I can't really remember if there was any swearing in it, but what I can tell you is that it's full of sex in one way or another. I remember being shocked by some of the passages, as I haven't seen anything so bold even in our more... 'liberal' books. My point is, if you would really like to include sex in your book, maybe you could study how he did it. He lives in a Muslim society and got away with it somehow, so maybe you could pull off something similar?

10. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

That's a lot of society's expectations to live up to in a book. The best advice I can give you is to write from the heart and not worry how others will percieve you. What you describe is a kind of mentality that exists in all the cultures. I am assuming it's not illegal to write erotic contemt in your country. Or is it?
    In any case, this is why most people write under a pseudonym.

11. EdFromNY

I'm always rather amazed when person A tells person B he should go ahead and do something when person A doesn't have to live with the consequences.

12. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

As in most cases, I agree with you 100%. Having said that, I don't think modern society will give your sage advice a snowball's chance.

For example, the Japanese have a saying, "A tall nail gets hammered back into place."

We used to encourage creativity in American society, now we penalize it, if not overtly then quietly. In many ways, why do you think I got banned from here the first time?

Not worrry what others think? I have to walk through the main promenade area of our local mall to get to the coffee bar. If you watch people, 75% of the young and old all wear the same clothing, use the same cell phone and buy the same Prius models. Creativity in Madison is like bad breath.

As I write this my wife and I are having morning coffee over the newspaper, and I asked her a straight up question. That being, does my aggressive attititude play an important factor in my living free.

Without hesitation, my loving wife, and companion of 40 years stated, "In more than 50% of the cases."

So much for freedom in America. We praise the Bill of Rights and then castigate those who actually practice the tenets. And unlike the OP's culture, holding a diverse opinion here is not illegal, but societal pressure is too much for most people. It's just easier to get in line.

13. Malkhalifa

Malkhalifa New Member

Woah,

I didn't expect this much advise but seriously, thank you! You have helped me clear my head. I picked apart every reply to come up with a decision.

Jazzabel and The Tourist: No, free expression is not against the law, so that won't stop me. Otherwise 50 shades wouldn't be in all the bookstores here.

Khaelman: Orhan's book is in my library :) haven't read it yet though, I'll get to it soon enough.

Mammamaia: My family knows about the book. their supportive and excited for me to finish it, though when they ask me about it, I get all mysterious.I'll find out by the end of the book if a pseudonym is necessary.

AndyB: The first book of the story is set in Philly, I think the pitchfork and torch crowd only come out if you insult faith or culture, like that guy who drew cartoons of the prophet.

Silver wolf ,D-doc and EDfromNY: I think my own morals and values have a part in me not wanting to make it raunchy though that's not the entire truth.

Peachalulu: Implied. I like that. I think that's my new favorite word.

ChicagoLIZ: I think you're right. This project started out as a labour of love and it will remain that way. If i feel as I get to know my characters that it is only natural then the words will find themselves on the page. I won't force it, and as Peach said: Implied, thats the way I want to go if it feels right. Half the time i come back and read something I write after letting it sit for a while and say "Wait I wrote that?" I don't want to lose that by forcing it. as far as success is concerned, that is and should be an afterthought. Let the cards fall where they may.

once again , much appreciated. :)

14. EdFromNY

I'm sure they do, which also makes it difficult. I wish you luck no matter which way you decide.

15. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Well you could also look at it from another angel...

Arab countries were long ago filled with beautiful stories and with so much imagination, but with time it got tuned down, now sci-fi is viewed as children's stuff and most prefer realistic settings. I have seen a lot of talented kids with great ideas and stories but most are hiding on the net for fear that they will be cast down by the "elders".

And while it might not be against the law to write sex scenes and such it will be viewed as some what shameful and bring ones reputation to question, and sadly there are even some that ban some novels/movies or cartoons even as the elders with power view it as the west trying to poison the minds of the youth, so often it seems like creativity is being choked to death.

Thus we dont see many fiction/sci-fi writers from Arab countries, but if your book does get published you might want to think more radical and speak for all those kids that want to write as they wish but fear it. So you might get stoned to death (just kidding :p) but a hundred years from now you might be a hero that started something new... think of it as Galileo and the church ;)

16. spartan928

spartan928 Member

Precisely. The OP already has impediments to creativity because of his concerns. There is no way he can write freely without the worry impacting what comes out. It's a very personal decision that a bunch of strangers cannot advise appropriately. The OP needs to make the choice that is best for them and live with it. Your going to get a bee hive of opinions buzzing around your brain opening this up for debate. But whatever you do, don't stop writing. At the very east keep learning and growing. Maybe it will take years to sort out, but eventually you will find your own voice as long as you don't stop.