Damsel in Distress?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Similyn, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Similyn

Similyn New Member

Ziggy, yes. Aaron was kind and patient enough to beat that bit of info into my head in this thread. :p

2. Harzlek

Harzlek New Member

Well, this whole thing seems quite alright to me, except one thing. Why would somone so familliar with quicksand be so afraid of it? At best, you would not be strong enough to extricate yourself, but you will not sink and be drowned. You might sink down to your waist; unless you struggle. Your body is not nearly as dense as the mud. Remember, something floats because it ways less than the liquid it displaces.

3. Heather

Heather New Member

I've heard that, and apparently it's true for Northern girls too - since moving to London all I keep hearing about it how 'blokish' I am, or how outspoken etc, whereas I'm just the same as the rest of my girlfriends up North :p

In regards to the idea of a damsel in distress being outdated, I'd say yes and no. On one hand, I like a man to be chivalrous - if he takes me out on a date, I would usually assume he would pay for the first time - if there is only one seat, I like it when it is offered to me, etc etc. Do I expect it, no. But do I appreciate it, yes. So in that sense, I think women (or at least me), like the chivalrous side.

That being said, is there really much scope for damsels in distress in real life any more? I haven't often gotten myself trapped in a tower, or stuck in quicksand, or anywhere else that I required rescuing from, so perhaps in a modern day novel the notion of damsel in distress is a bit outdated.

4. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

That being said, is there really much scope for damsels in distress in real life any more? I haven't often gotten myself trapped in a tower, or stuck in quicksand, or anywhere else that I required rescuing from, so perhaps in a modern day novel the notion of damsel in distress is a bit outdated.

Maybe my career as a firefighter made me see more people in general in distress, it does happen every day. I started a book with a firefighter as one of the main characters but put it down. There is never a lack of action in that field.

5. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

The lead role from Alcatraz isn't a floozy and she is a detective.

Same with the lead role in Once Upon a Time.

And all the girls in Pan Am. Which also are not "badass" in the tits flying out aspect.

The lead role in Fringe as well. She uses her smarts.

So I mean, there plenty of non-boobs hanging out butt-kicking floozy girls out there on TV at least.

6. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Nice nice, cheers JHunter. I haven't seen any of those, I've heard of Pan Am but reviews were a bit mixed (one actually said it was sexist!) so I didn't bother. Hopefully I'll find the others on British telly somewhere soon. There's been quite a bit of hoo-ha over here recently about women not being represented enough or well enough on tv and radio, so it's good to see where that isn't the case.

7. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

I like the idea of the woman already half way though escaping when the man turns up, and he ends up being a hindrance more than a help to her. But essentially they have to work as a team to escape.

8. L a u r a

L a u r a New Member

Perfectly said, Similyn! I can't count the number of movies and reality TV shows centering around a woman who beats the crap out of all the "bad guys." It's ridiculous. Not to mention the leather body suits and heels. :rolleyes: