Dark fantasy and violence

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by TheSerpantofNar, Apr 29, 2012.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I don't see why he has to explain his love of a genre?
    Anyway I can produce a hundred reasons why one might love the genre.

1. Classics like Beowulf.
    2. Movies like the 13th warrior.
    3. Concepts like serfdom, chivalry, and rigid class systems are fascinating in their own right and hold historical significance
    4. An environment governed by death, fear, and ignorance serves as a breeding ground for powerful emotions
    5. An environment governed by death, fear, and ignorance allows for superstition and imagination
    6. An environment governed by death, fear, and ignorance serves as a perfect breeding ground for a hero
    7. In such an environment nothing is stable
    8. Weapons and fighting that back then might have been very real, today seem very exotic and thus possess interest
    9. Social commentary (on greed, religion, and government) can be easily made without offending anyone of today
    10. The dark ages was unique in that it was static
    11. That people were able to endure those times is a testament to the strength of the human spirit

I can go on

Anyway, genres exist for a reason and no one should have to defend their interest. I am among those who find the whole vampire craze beyond pathetic. Still, I would never challenge someone's interest in this. I would rather them read Twilight than watch MTV.

2. TheSerpantofNar

TheSerpantofNar Active Member

I just like writing in the setting the atmosphere gives me a lot to work with and that I love that really it really works into the characters moods and actions.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Let's assume from this point forward that the writer has chosen the genre, for whatever reason, and that is his prerogative.
    This ^ was the question asked.

There is no "should" here. If your purpose is to lay bare the brutality of the time, to make a point about that kind of society, certainly you may use the violence to underscore that point. But if you want to focus on other aspects of the environment, such as a code of honor, or a great love, then use the violence only to drive the plot forward. You may even choose to have the protagonist use non-violent or minimally violent methods to counter the threat.

We live in violent times as well. But every story need not be centered on that violence. On the other hand, your story can focus on the violence, for whatever reason you choose.

Fiction requires conflict. But conflict need not be violence. They are not the same thing. You have choices.