Does anyone else feel naked when they get their work reviewed?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by grnidone, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

All the time, every time. I feel the same way when teaching a class (and I've been doing that for almost ten years now). I've just gotten used to it.

2. Rod Patrick

Rod Patrick New Member

I understand that when people give reviews here they do it with the nameless, faceless anonimity of the internet. It's very discompasionate and most probably seize the oportunity to go at least a bit overboard.
    I worry sometimes that the techno geeks will rip my stuff apart or those that have their own lives so enmeshed in fantasy that they feel that they actually interact with real vampires have a right to shred my writing based on that.
    You can see the people that really read your work and see it for what it is and offer constructive critisism from their own blogs and their frequent posts on this group. They are the senior members and supporters. The others come and go. Keep writing and have a good time.
    PS: Just once, close the shades and lock the doors and write something in the nude. That way, if you feel naked when you get reviewed...

3. GoldenQuil

GoldenQuil New Member

Well, I haven't gotten anything reviewed really but I imagine I will be quite nervous when it does. Not for the fact that I think people will flame it, but I'll be nervous that other people don't find it too entertaining and whatnot, and thats actually why I write, to entertain myself and others. So, to a certain extent I can say yes.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

It depends on who I'm getting reviewed by. I have about one or two people I can hand work to and not cringe every second, but other than them I can't handle it. I never let people see until it's tweaked and finished to perfection.

5. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Not even a little bit. I write what I write, and people like it or don't. My particular style will never be for everyone. If I receive constructive criticism, I give thanks and consider it, and if I get positive feedback, sweet. Nothing else really matters.

6. seta

seta New Member

Here, here!

I have no misconceptions about being an amateur writer and as such I don't expect to be right all the time.

Already there has been the prologue thing - which the members of this forum offered guidance and more recently the "superfluous words" issue, which I am still ambivalent about, but it's good to know none-the-less.

7. I do which is why I tend not to :p
    I'll have to do it sometime, maybe when I'm don't my second draft I'll have someone one here read a bit of it hopefully...and give me their impression.

8. tay_tracy35

tay_tracy35 New Member

I totally agree, but it depends on who the reviewer is. I've had great constructive criticisms, and I've also had people deliberately attack my work. I wish it could be different.

9. Lijde

Lijde New Member

I'm afraid that they won't understand the writing.

Generally, I don't like describing my writing. It's awkward because it sounds TERRIFIC in my head, but then I can't explain it that well when it comes out, making the reader confused.

So I just hope they'll understand it right off the bat and only ask a few questions. :p

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I always get so anxious whenever anyone reads my stuff. If they think it's good, I'm happy, but I feel like they could have told me what was wrong with it, if there was anything.

11. Ferb

Ferb New Member

If someone deliberately attacks my work and is being rude about it, I don't think I'd worry too much about it. The less respect I have for someone, the less I care what he or she thinks. Now if a similar criticism was voiced more diplomatically, I might be a bit more concerned. I'm generally aware of my weaknesses, though, so if someone points out what I'm doing wrong... it doesn't come as a blow because I've already anticipated it.

12. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

I don't feel that way anymore. I used to. Especially in college when I got papers back full of red ink. I'd go through the emotions of denial, anger, confusion, and then through acceptance, adaption, and change.

As much as I hated negative reviews, I always learned something that could be applied to my writing to improve it.

Now I look at my writing like clay to be molded, and remolded, many times over until it works. Reviews are good for pointing out our design flaws. I don't worry if I think the reader is going to get it or not, because they either are or they're not. If they do, then I did it right, if they don't then I need to figure out how to improve it to get my point across.

I like getting critiques, good or bad, because it always teaches me something.

13. PS Foster

PS Foster Member

I haven't posted anything on this site yet, but I will eventually. On another site, I post with trepidation, but that is because I have a longstanding fear of rejection. I have received good reviews and bad ones. The good ones point out the little things that could make it better, and more often than not, I can see their points clearly after they draw my attention to them.
    The bad ones just tell you it's bad without explaining why.

14. Glen Jones

Glen Jones New Member

Since back in secondry school to now at uni when i hand the teacher my work i feel and awfull tug to ACTUALLY run. if i can't see them going over my work then i'm fine but when your sitting infront of somone and they are uming and arring it's like waiting to be told your worth somthing or worthless. each raise of eyebrow and each slight smak can make my heart jump or fall dead.

end result is always the same though, it usually helps me.
    so i can't wait to get reviewed because i like that feeling of being armed and ready to defend your work until death (well not death, bit over the top haha).

odds are though it's going to feel scary but all good things are, thats life...i think.

15. truthfulapothecary

truthfulapothecary New Member

In my own experience...

Since I have only had a few people critique my work, I can't say the part where I feel vulnerable is the actual critique part. I, personally think it is the time where they are reading and you are watching their expressions! It. Is. Nerve-Wracking!

16. Fatherof5

Fatherof5 New Member

Heck yeah I feel naked when people reiew my work.

I know I'm not a really gifted writer. Doing this just for fun...but that also gives me a certain amount of creative freedom that I wouldn't have if I was worried about being published!

Chris

17. Yarnillah

Yarnillah New Member

When my work is reviewed, to be honest, I get offened at first. Simply because my work is my baby and someone has told me there's something wrong with it. So, I read my work over and over and read the critiques until I can see where the people are coming from and I'm not offended anymore. Lol. It's hard at first, putting your baby up naked in front of everyone. But I've found that each critique is like a piece of clothing over the top, and it makes it better in the long run :)

18. Coldwriter

Coldwriter New Member

Some say in an idealistic bubble they cant wait to
    My first post on here had my heart heaving...haha. Then the same thing happened when I saw the comments. It's a scary feeling but pretty cool too, knowing people are going to take some time to read and give feedback, opinion, etc on your work.

19. bux

bux New Member

I know the feeling, I just had my first pieces reviewed yesterday after going days without anyone saying a thing. I thought I had embarressed myself by writing on here but I got some reviews and feel a lot more positive about my future in writing, as long as the guidance remains.

20. Denied Fixation

Denied Fixation New Member

I honestly hadn't planned on posting anything on here, I was just missing the connection with a writing community... and any time I have previously posted on any site in the past (it's been a long time ago)... I never had a qualm about what was said. When I looked at the suggestions... most of the time, they were right, and would struggle to fix it. But it helped... really...

I got stuck on editing a recent chapter, posted it here... and was told to edit it down for a 10 year old, and that it couldn't be read past the first couple of paragraphs because it made no sense... I'm not sure how to reply to that. For the first time ever... I am nervous about having asked for others opinions. I've been freaking about it... because if they are right... then I have to scrap more than 90,000 words and start over because the writing style is the same throughout and even worse... it's the same voice I always write in... AHHHH!!!

SO yeah... right now I am not enjoying having my work reviewed. No... not at all. :(

21. SteveDOOI

SteveDOOI New Member

The first review I saw for my first novel gave it a real pasting (happily, subsequent reviews were kinder). The weird thing was it didn't bother me in the slightest. I think that, if you write what really grabs you then you feel it's a good book even if someone else doesn't agree.

On the other hand, if you write something and you think it stinks, it doesn't matter how much other people say they like it. You still think of it as a failure.

22. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I do whenever I send away a manuscript.

23. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Not generally. I like others' thoughts on my work. My writing essays for English are always looked at by someone other than the teacher and peer review. And you know what? I like it! However, the first time I got reviewed really harshly on here, I didn't like it. But I accepted his (her?) critique and actually used some of the advice. It's all in how you take it... and how you view yourself as a writer.

24. IgnisTemper

IgnisTemper New Member

I'd think it's a pretty common reaction. We're pretty invested in our writing, so it's only natural when we put our writing out there, we purposely expose ourselves.

25. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

This is certainly a truth.