1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Brindy

Brindy Contributing Member Supporter

DRM (Digital Rights Management) on Kindle - Yes or No

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by Brindy, Jul 19, 2016.

I have read a lot of the threads on book piracy, self-publish versus traditional publish etc. Many of these threads are a couple of years old, if not older, when first started.

So, I have made the decision to self-publish. I have also decided to publish on Kindle. I am not looking for the arguments for or against either of those two. I have a considered opinion and made a personal choice.

What I would like to hear are current thoughts on DRM. The digital market has moved on significantly in recent years and views held now may be very different to those held a couple of years ago, plus there is more experience in the world of self-publishing, which may be very relevant anyone moving into the self-publishing market.

So, any opinions and advice would be really helpful.

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I don't use it. It doesn't seem to stop anyone who wants to pirate, and it does seem to annoy legitimate purchases who are trying to put the book on a different device or otherwise use what they've paid for.

Brindy likes this.
  3. Brindy

Brindy Contributing Member Supporter

Thank you, that is also where I feel I want to go, no DRM, but before I do I wondered what others thought.

My view is that as a first novel, I'm happy if anyone reads it. If they like it enough to recommend it - all the better.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I don't use it either.

Brindy likes this.