1. Lythya

Lythya New Member

Ecstasy and characters on drugs

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lythya, Aug 26, 2012.

I'm writing a scene in which my HP takes ecstasy. Do any of you know how long it takes from consumption of a pill until it starts to take effect?

Otherwise, this thread can also be used to discuss the requirements for writing a character on drugs. What drugs can be used to show what, what is expected from use of a certain drug and how can you defer your character from it?

2. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Unless it's illegal in Denmark to do, Google can give you much more information on the subject then we can. Times and effects change as the drugs are refined, changed, etc so really the only way to keep up would be a internet search on the subject or visiting several of the criminal justice sites.

3. The Hollow

The Hollow New Member

There's this website where users post their experiences on different types of drugs, including ecstasy. I forgot what it's called, but a simple Google search will probably turn up several similar websites where people post their experiences. It'll also give you good insight into how most people feel during their high or trip or whatever.

4. Hettyblue

Hettyblue Member

That question is difficult to answer definitively as the tablets sold as Ecstacy (like all illegal drugs) are generally cut with other things (mostly unpleasant) this alters its strength other factors are the size/ sex of the person ingesting the drug also what other drugs or alcohol are present in their system.

Try reading other novels where drug taking is depicted ('Trainspotting' and 'Morvern Callar' come to mind) Captain Kate is spot on as google will unearth useful info as well. Does an exact time really matter? With someone willing to ingest drugs, the knowledge that they have them in their system combined with the excitement of being out at a club or party with friends/ music/ alcohol etc. will ensure that they start 'feeling' something almost immediately - the placebo effect.

5. marktx

marktx New Member

I'm not going to post the URL for the site you mentioned, although I do know the one you are talking about. Telling the original poster to Google "drug experiences" is far as I am willing to go on that.

6. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

I may just be the expert here.... seeing i messed with that stuff HARD in college, i guess i was what you would have called an addict, im not proud of it, but for the sake of research i'll give my testimonial.

As was said eariler, it is always cut with another drug. The raw compound of MDMA (Ecstasy) is to fine to put into a pill, it would simply crumble apart. It is usually cut with speed or herion, giving the diffrent pills their colors, and often names. They do now actually make straight MDMA capsules.
    Diffrent people take it diffrent ways, some take it like a regular pill, others sniff it. Depending on what the drug is cut with will determine the certain "high" that is associated with it.
    With all the pills though you will usually get what is called "jaw jacked" Meaning you will want to clenth your teeth, thats why it is common for pepole who are on it to be chewing gum the whole time. your body tempature raises and you sweat, the feeling is kinda at the top of your head, almost like a rising feeling. It makes you very sentimental and affectionate. you feel like you can trust anybody with anything. Alot of times it is referred to as the "sex drug" because of the urges and pleasures it can bring while doing that.
    MDMA works by buring the seriton in your brain, that is a nurotransmitter in your brain that regulates mood. Long term effects of burning that much seriton can result in deppression, anxioety, and panic attacks, not to mention healthy brain functions such as comprehending and decesion making.
    The come down is HORRIBLE.... you cant sleep, cant eat, cant barley think, you feel extrememly weak, all you can do is lay in your bed, stare at the wall and wonder why in the hell did you do that. It is a horrible drug and i wish i had never touched the stuff.

I hope i didnt break any rules by posting this, if i did i am sorry and please delete the post, just thought id share my insight for research purposes.

Lythya, if you would like personal horror storyies or more insight feel free to PM me

7. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

As far as I'm aware MDMA is never cut with heroin? One's a stimulant, the other's an opiate...Apples and oranges

In pil form, MDMA is pressed into a tablet with something harmless, like glucose or some inert material. But heroin? C'mon man, that's codswallop.

8. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

..... dont want to burst your bubble man, but yeah they do, the red ones usually. "Red Nikes, Red Dolphines" ones like that. Really aint trying to turn this into a "i know more about drugs than you game" so lets just leave it at that. If you dont think so then thats fine.

9. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

^Sutton is right. Most Ecstasy pills are cut with meth, I think. If you buy the shitty ones you'll be getting more meth than MDMA. Anyway, I'd say it takes about an hour or so to kick in completely. You might feel something before that.

10. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

OK, most of my knowledge of drugs comes from reading, I think I've only once met someone who was on anything other than alcohol (and never even tried alcohol myself), but I did get an obsessive interest in the effects of street drugs awhile back. And I can tell you that MDMA is not a stimulant - it's in its own category, kind of like marijuana is. Also, you can actually cut stimulants with depressants (opiates are a kind of depressant) but it's ridiculously dangerous. Does wonky things to your heart, I believe.

11. serowden

serowden New Member

This information is being shared for research purposes, for writing of novels realistically. MDMA is illegal to possess in my country and probably yours. In addition, there are a variety of dangers associated with its use (Which I will elaborate if asked), and I do no suggest anyone try it.

While MDMA is the most cut drug in existence, it is generally cut with amphetamine or phenethylamine research chemicals with minor psychedelic and empathogenic effects or DXM (dextromethorphan, from cough syrup). MDMA itself is methylenedioxymethamphetamine, which is a mixture of phenethylamine drugs and speed.

Like most amphetamine-like drugs, it has onset effects in about 20-30 minute depending on stomach content (when taken orally), peaks at about the hour mark, and come down effects begin by four to five hours.

Heroin is expensive. There is no such thing as heroin-based or heroin-cut MDMA. This is something drug dealers say to ignorant users to explain that they have cut their drugs with something like DXM. The major rule to remember about cutting is, "Drug dealers want to make money, so they cut their drugs with either a) something that will have little to no effect on the user, or b) something that will contribute to the users intoxication (likely with similar effects, like speed, or ephedrine), and COST LITTLE."

Pharmaceutical amphetamine is similar to MDMA while being extremely cheap by comparison, so this is the most likely cut. However, differences between MDMA and amphetamine on its own are really similar (albeit different), and there's no way to avoid this fact. MDMA -- half of the acronym is methamphetamine, and that's just the way it is. Any abstraction of this ignorance.

In the modern era (2008+), MDMA is more commonly sold as a yellow to offwhite powder in little plastic bags, often referred to as Molly. Ecstasy tablets fell out of favor in the rave/club/drug scene in most major cities around 2008 due to a widespread conception that powdered Molly was more pure than pressed pills, regardless of the fact that it's irrelevant.

MDMA culture and raves are by far the most... ignorant of modern drug using cultures. There are more MDMA related myths and urban legends and BS that people somehow believe than in any other drug and the culture that surrounds its use.

If you have any more specific questions, shoot.

12. serowden

serowden New Member

MDMA is a stimulant. It's an amphetamine-phenethylamine designer drug combination, and its phenetthylamine effects are called empathogenic (promoting of empathy), however it does so largely with stimulant qualities, and is after all, methylenedioxymethamphetamine. It largely affected the CNS by stimulation.

13. lawnman

lawnman New Member

Erowid is a site that will help with any drug questions. Check the Experience vault for people's experiences with just about every drug known to man, legal or illegal. It isn't just a site for teenagers to say how much fun they had either, most of the stories are precautionary tales because people let themselves be taken over by the drug, this is especially the case with meth.

14. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

[HR][/HR]^ Erowid is the best website for things.

I will also back up some previous statements here. MDMA is a psychoactive chemical that is in it's own category, and produces a combination of stimulant feelings, while also depressing a lot of the nervous system. If the MDMA is good, sometimes, you'll find yourself breathing slow and your eyelids drooping, as if you were on an opiate.

It's mostly found in crystal form, but can, and is, pressed into pills. But, as someone mentioned, it's too fine to hold on its own, so it's normally binded to another chemical, and yes, Heroin, Ketamine, Cocaine, Meth, and numerous other agents are mixed, sometimes B-Vitamins (which is very common, considering it doesn't effect the potency/purity of MDMA, and allows it to solidify).

It's also a part of a 5 step chemical process, and one of the reason it's in its on category is due to the fact that it works on receptors in the brain that produce intense psychadelic experiences, such as surfaces appearing fuzzy, tracers, and distortions in reality.

Also, if you stop at step 4, and do not progress all the way to its final form: MDMA, you are stuck at MDA, which is an entirely different beast. It loses most of its stimulant characteristics, while having the feelings that come from the flooding of serotonin receptors, the empathetic 'feel good', and taking on intense psychadelic visuals. Visuals such as: Walls breathing, shapes appearing and re-arranging on surfaces, fractals coming into ones vision (geometrically symetrical shapes, some known, some unknown), tracers staying for long durations, etc.

Similar to some LSD analogs, but not as intense in the visuals, considering you don't always lose perception of time and, as they say, 'step into a visual.'

I'm a recovering addict, and though a lot of these chemicals were not the chemical i was dependant on, I've done some serious experimenting, especially with psychadelic chemicals. If you would like any testimonials on certain chemicals, what they do, and how they make people feel, in order to create a character's experience, I'd be more than happy to help you. PM any time.

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Depends on the dosage and the method used. There are many methods of taking E. Snorting is the fastest, it hits you in under a half hour. Eating it uncut will take 45 minutes to an hour for the first effects. The experience plateaus for most people at about 1 and a half or two hours, with a steady decline in serotonin from there. "Parachuting" is the crushing of pills and wrapping the powder in a ball of tissue which is then ingested. It speeds up release in the stomach.

All factors vary by experience and body weight. Writing someone on ecstasy is no different from writing that character normally, except now they have intense euphoria and all the rest. After the high goes away there will be a low as your body attempts to replace serotonin that was used up. Basically it dulls your pleasure for 3 days to a week, the "Tuesday blues" so to speak.

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Most ecstasy pills are cut with SOMETHING, it's not always meth or heroin. Drugs that are expensive are unlikely to be used to cut something with. More often it's something cheap, like Ketamine. A lot of users are switching to the pure gel capsules that have straight MDMA powder in them because the street pills are like Russian Roulette. I doesn't matter what's on the face, dealers will call them and press them anything they want. Color and shape has zero effect on what it contains, save to identify that two pills are from the same batch.

And another thing: "Double" and "triple stacks" are a myth, and do not necessarily contain more of the active ingredient, only more filler.