Epicness

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by seta, Sep 24, 2009.

1. seta

seta New Member

Well, I think you're still kind of stuck on examples of old epics. All I meant to ask about were "epic qualities" - Batman being such an example. He is a pure, strong, virtuous main character. Batman also sells really well. Batman also fights "monsters" - as in things which don't really exist. You don't need to be Achilles to be epic.

I think using "epicness" wasn't the best idea. Did no one realize that I could have been talking about Batman?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The word "epic" is widely overused (and misused) these days. It most properly refers to an epic poem, which is a narrative poetic form, usually focusing on a hero enacting a series of great achievements. By extension, it also refers to stories on the same theme.

Common usage today is to refer to anything superlatively good as "epic".

3. seta

seta New Member

That's why I asked "does epicness/epic qualities sell?"

I never asked about writing a new epic. I think that's the point that everyone missed. Batman, in my estimation, is an epic character. Virtuously fighting evil against all odds - and he is a larger-than-life character like Odysseus or Achilles. Therefore, Batman has "epicness" or "epic qualities".

Did anyone actually read my original post?

4. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

I quoted your orignal post and directly addressed your question, I even said epic qualities "may or may not help a story" and then gave my reasonings, whats your malfunction?:confused:

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I did my best to point out why there was confusion. Several other people have also tried to get a clarification. I have no doubt that we all read the original post.

If you didn;t get the answer you wanted, it wasn't for lack of people trying.