[Experiment] I want to see if anyone can crack this code

Discussion in 'Research' started by JadeX, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I will admit that this stumped me, and I ran it through a binary to text translator. As well as a binary to decimal, and so on in the translator. Though I think since math is the universal language it would only be a matter of time before the aliens figure out the code, even if it is purely by accident. So it is not impenetrable, just takes a matter of time to break it down. Cause the binary translator turned your message into a bunch of symbols and Ps, which was even less like mores code and more incomprehensible nonsense. Ouch math illiterate brain has a hurt pain. :p

2. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Language almost certainly predated art in human evolution. Neanderthals, as far as we can tell, did not produce art, but they probably had language (they have some important genes in common with human that are linked to language, such as FOXP2).

Chimpanzees are also capable of learning rudimentary language (to about a human 3 year old level), but they can't do representational art. They also don't ask questions to gain information - they can answer questions, they can request objects and actions, they are curious, and they can use language to a level far past when human kids first ask questions, but so far, no language-trained chimp has asked a human for information they don't have.

Language isn't just speaking. It's combining arbitrary symbols with culturally-accepted meanings according to syntactical rules that combine the meanings of individual symbols together. So if a species has the capacity for language, they also have the capacity to develop a writing system once they have a need for one.

3. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

None of what you have said backs up this point at all. In fact it was addressed before, but I'll explain it again. Over 5,000 years three unrelated civilizations on earth came up with a writing system without any influence. All three of them used drawn representations of figures and actions.

If it was as easy as you say, surely every social group of people would have just started writing things down at around the same time, and every writing system would be a different collection of unrelated marks. Only that's not what we see in reality.