Films that literally put you to sleep. Literally.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Wreybies, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

BUT I'VE ABANDONED MY SON!! I couldn't help myself. :p

I struggled too but you're spot on about Freeman.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I loved The Hobbit. Sure, it moves at a rather stately pace, but some of it is spectacular, much of it is beautiful, and it captures Middle Earth wonderfully. For me, it's worth sitting through everything that comes before just to get to that eagle-rescue scene at the end - THAT was amazing to watch.

3. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

I've never really fallen asleep due to a movie being so boring because I usually just turn it off and do something else. That being said, I wanted to walk out of The Hobbit. It's just so boring compared to the LOTR trilogy, which are probably my favourite movies of all time.

Also, The American was one of the slowest things I've ever seen.

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I fell asleep during Serenity, and I still haven't watched it because I want to save it till I've forgotten most of Firefly and I can re-watch the whole series, then end the marathon with Serenity. Hopefully I won't fall asleep then.

5. Lanthal

Lanthal New Member

The Hobbit was awful. I like The Lord of the Rings films but the hobbit was mind-numbing. I think I've only fallen asleep during one or two films. The one I remember is XXX with Vin Diesel. Ugh.

A film that I managed to get myself through but could definitely be a snoozer would be Anatomy of a Murder with James Stewart. Now, I LOVE James Stewart, but this film... BO-RING!

6. Celtika

Celtika New Member

Life of pi - Great at the start, Great ending - but most of the boat scenes just sent me to sleep.
    Castaway - Tom hanks sent me to sleep
    A.I Artificial intelligence - I generally just found it boring
    Signs - Not Mel Gibsons best performance, not a great story either
    Untouchable - Just bored me

7. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

A controversial one I'm sure, but I've never stayed awake through Star Wars despite 3 or so attempts. It doesn't help that I usually try it at Christmas time when I'm full of bubble & squeak and champagne, but it's the scene where R2D2 and C3P0 are walking across the desert that seems to deal the final blow for me, and I end up out for the count. I'm sure I'd quite like the film in the right circumstances, perhaps I'll get some Red Bull in and give it another bash :)

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sounds like an explosive combination.

9. Annaberru

Annaberru Member

I just mentioned this in another thread, but Disney's Fantasia is fantastic for putting me to sleep. It gets me so relaxed and happy and stimulates my brain just the right amount, so I usually wind up falling asleep around the time they get to the dinosaurs.

10. redreversed

redreversed Active Member

I can not believe this one hadn't been mentioned yet, 2001:A Space Odyssey.
    I almost finished it, ALMOST. :(

11. Annaberru

Annaberru Member

Lol, by the way, I forgot to mention that while my mother can easily watch "The 10th kingdom" which is something along the lines of 7 hours long, she cannot for the life of her stay awake through a 'Harry Potter'-movie :p

12. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Pom Poko, if anyone knows it - it's about a bunch of Japanese raccoons that can shape-shift into human beings. I watched this as a little kid, it's a cartoon, and I honestly don't remember any of it.

I could never make it through Twilight either actually.

Snow White and the Huntsman was also terrible.

The Czech classic comedy "S tebou me bavi svet" was about the most un-funny thing I've ever been forced to endure. I watched it for the sake of my Czech husband, who adores it. It's just full of slapstick humour with characters behaving in utterly unbelievable and illogical ways. I very nearly nodded off.

Pouta, another Czech film, was equally bad - this time it's a thriller, with no thrills involved at all. I've come to the conclusion that I am simply not a fan of Czech cinema - the style doesn't suit me at all. Pouta was another famous and much loved film.

13. Kita

Kita New Member

Not really a film though it is three hours long. I'm not sure what it's called but it is a documentary on the complete history of Coca-Cola. Droning narrator and not a lot of interesting stuff in it. We were supposed to watch it as part of a Media course but I ended up sleeping.

Twilight is another one...That movie was awful and an insult to Vampire lore.

14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Alien 3 - so BORING! And such a let down from the first two.

15. IronPalm

IronPalm Banned

I agree it's a major step down from the first two (which are both all-time classics), but it's still a respectable film on its own.

Focus-

How the hell did I forget to mention 2001: A Space Odyssey?!

16. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

What makes it worse is that, aside from the fact that the first two in that series are two of my favorite films ever, a lot of Alien 3 was filmed not far from where I live - just 10 miles down the coast in Blyth power station. I feel like I should be nice to the film but for some reason it only makes me resent it more. I'm not honestly sure why. When looking at it purely objectively I can't say it's bad, but I just can't see it objectively.

As much as I like this film ... yeah, boy does it drag on a bit.

17. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I wouldn't rank ALIEN 3 as a snooze inducer, but it was definitely a thumbs downer. I actually liked the inclusion of a more British aesthetic as regards the occasional semi-comidec/sarcastic moments, but the whole theosophical deal towards the end when she takes the dive into the lead, fully in the form of a crucifix, cradling the child of evil she births in the moment before her death, Dillon going full bore Southern Baptist... Give me a break.

18. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Your Highness...terrible...terrible film. But did wake up for a look at Natalie Portman's bottom :D

19. IronPalm

IronPalm Banned

Did you need a microscope?

20. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Both King Arthur and Troy. I still have no idea what really happens in those movies and I also don't want to know.

21. platerawriter

platerawriter Banned

The New Worldeven though I'm a history buff, that movie was stronger than sleeping pills.

22. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

23. DH Hanni

DH Hanni New Member

Les Mis. I hated that movie. Too many close ups of people and it's just so tedious and long. When Russell Crowe offed himself, I wanted to come with! I started dozing on my husband the last 30 minutes or so. Argh. My father-in-law fell asleep during it, too. Other than that, I can usually stay awake for movies.

24. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

I don't think I fell asleep to a film. Otherwise I would turn it off. But a film that did bore me to death, I'd say The Day the Earth Stood Still remake with Keanu Reeves. I just don't like that guy's style of acting.

25. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

'Cloud Atlas'. I couldn't keep my eyes open for more than 10 minutes of that. My husband watched it in two goes, I fell asleep both times, lol.

@DH Hanni: I bawled my eyes out during that movie, I thought it was riveting and poignant. Go figure :)