For fans of George R. R. Martin...

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Ellipse, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    He probably means the
    Execution of the apparent protagonist, Eddard (Ned) Stark by Ilyn Payne at Joffery Baratheon's order.

2. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Well if that is the case, he will be even less happy with the endings of the other books.

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

That's what I was thinking. The "books always have happy endings" part of me was really hoping that wouldn't happen. Consequently, it took me hugely by surprise. Joel made fun of me for how much I cried. :rolleyes:

Haha amen to that! It just gets worse...

4. Sabreur

Red Wedding

I'm pretty sure I could only laugh in despair at that moment in the series...

5. hiddennovelist

Oh my god, dude...I seriously felt sick to my stomach for days after I got to that part.

The worst part for me was when I thought Bran and Rickon were killed. Bran is my favorite, favorite character (seriously...I made a bear at Build-a-Bear and named it after him. I'm that nerd.), and I had to stop reading because I was crying so hard after that part. Fortunately, all of us who have read far enough know that my sadness was shortlived in that case.

6. Ellipse

One of the saddest parts of the series for me was near the beginning of A Game of Thrones after Bran breaks his back. Jon is visiting his brother before leaving for the wall and Catelyn turns to Jon and says, "It should have been you."

Good god, that woman is hateful. :(

7. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I like Catelyn. Well, I liked her before anyway.

Now she's just a cold instrument of vengeance.

I literally threw the book across the room in anger/grief.

8. hiddennovelist

I haven't gotten far enough to know what happens with Catelyn after the third book, but I also liked Catelyn in the earlier books. I'm not the type of person to say things like that to someone, I don't like to hurt people's feelings, but honestly, if my husband had a kid from another woman, I would probably hate that kid, too. It's crappy for Jon because it's not like any of it is his fault, but he's a constant reminder that her husband cheated on her...got to be a sh*tty thing to deal with.

9. Sabreur

Ahem, yes. There are interesting theories out there regarding Jon's heritage. Most of them involve Ned Stark not cheating on Catelyn :p

10. hiddennovelist

You've got me there. But as far as she knows/believes...he cheated on her. And unfortunately for Jon, that's all that matters. ;)

11. bob smith

bob smith New Member

A good amount of people bepieve jon is the child of his sister lyanna and the mad king taragayen, making him the rightful heir to the throne later in the book

12. Ellipse

George R.R. Martin better not pull off a schenanigan like that! :mad:

13. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

That thought struck me too. It would be just like Ned to pretend to be guilty of something he's innocent of, just to save Jon as a baby. It would also explain why he insisted on keeping Jon close (to keep an eye on him), when the normal thing to do with bastards was to just ignore them. It would also explain why Jon was sent to the wall when he came of age (to make him inconceivable as a ruler in case someone found out who he was).

Should I put speculation in spoiler tags, in case it turns out to be right?

14. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I am one of these people.

I also think that he'll marry Daenerys.

15. tiggertaebo

tiggertaebo Member

Hurrah! I guess that's my cue to try and find my copies of the previous books so I can re-read and stand half a chance of knowing what the heck is going on. While the waiting has been frustrating the fact that I'm still excited for the release of A Dance with Dragons as the writing and characterisation so far has been absolutely spot on, things have got very complicated though and it's going to be interesting to see if he can tie all the disparate plot threads back together as the series progresses.

[spolier]
    While I am loving the books so far I'm also aware that continual deaths are starting to get a bit too much of a pattern. The reason it worked so well in Game of Thrones is because no-one saw it coming, he is now at risk of becoming a one-trick pony[/spoiler]

16. Cashier

Cashier New Member

My husband will be glad to hear this. He's been waiting a long time. :)

17. sirus1257

sirus1257 New Member

I've been waiting, as I'm sure we all have, years for this moment. I had to take a picture of his update and send it to several people in excitement.

18. Buggy

Buggy New Member

He better have his act together in this one! It seemed like the last one was all a big stall. When is the queen overseas going to butt heads with everybody else! That being said, I'm so excited I wish I could fast forward time.

I'm so stoked for the HBO show!! It's just around the corner!