1. dorck

dorck New Member Supporter

Getting Back Into It

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dorck, Oct 9, 2016.

Hello,

Not much to share...

My favorite genre is classical high fantasy, but if I don't have anything fresh (or something I'm ready to re-read) available I'll always pick up a Sword & Sorcery novel. I remember sitting out on my parent's deck one summer afternoon reading through the appendices of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. My dad just couldn't get his head around why I wasn't doing something more appropriate for a third grader!

I'm working on something new! I've just finished the first 2500 words (read "chapter one") of a novel that's been fermenting in my brain for at least a year. I'd love to hear your impressions on draft number one and see if you'd keep reading.

Writing and reading are a couple of the most important things I do with my life. I hope to be an active community member.

2. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Active Member

Welcome (back) dorck.

3. ThistleMae

ThistleMae Member

Hi! Is high fantasy the really detailed creation of people and worlds, mostly in the times of swords and dragons? Besides Lord of the Rings, I haven't read much like this. Would you consider Harry Potter high fantasy or just fantasy. It sounds like you know a lot about this, so I thought I'd ask. Can you give me some examples of other novels you would consider high fantasy? Thanks.