Globel Warming

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Night Haunter, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Robert

Robert Banned

Yeah, I see the problem. The problem is, you're talking about it as though it is a political problem, and you're taking a stance which is pretty much, "Everyone else wants to benefit from global warming, while the (poor old) USA comes out worse off," which is so far from what's really going on that it's incredibly funny. It's probably the worst argument put forward in any discussion on global warming that I can remember.

2. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

Arrogant? Really? I think most people and groups like greenpeace, wwf would wish they didn't believe it.

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Actually I don't care about the US. I'm worried about Canada.
    Now why is worrying that a few countries are suppose to take up 95% of the burden, while countries that produce more greenhouse gases take up 5% of the burden a bad argument?
    If China had to do more under Kyoto I'd have less problem with it. But as it stands China which produces more greenhouse gases then the US, and will likely double the amount of greenhouse gases it produces in less then 5 years, does not actually have to do anything under Kyoto. In fact they get the lion share of the money that will be transfered from developed nations to developing nations.
    They're effectively being paid to pollute.
    Isn't that a problem?
    Would you care to dispute anything else I've written?

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ok, so who made there be so many cows?... if humans didn't eat meat and want to wear others' skins, there wouldn't be the great herds of animals bred and kept only for that purpose... their species would instead, be in balance with all the others, and not producing all that methane!

5. Frost

Frost Active Member

This is true, very true. But with that said, humans have got to eat. Unforunately, our population is a little too big nowdays to be fed with animals that are simply naturally breeding. We have to mass breed them, or risk running out of cows completely.

Also, note that I am aware that in many places outside the west, that people live in poverty, and something as expensive as beef would be never really thought of. But for the sake of argument, our western population is too big (or too greedy) to simply live off the cows and their natural breeding.

6. Frost

Frost Active Member

(double post sorry guys)

Thats because alot of it is in fact political man. Seriously, you cannot believe that Kyoto would exist if it didnt benefit some countries over others? That's incredibly naieve. Kyoto isn't just some sort of good-willed fight against global warming, it's a massive political tool for a lot of people.

In regards to it being a bad argument, I dont think it is at all, especially considering as you dont seem to have much to say about any of his other very well put out points.

7. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Fair enough. That was silly of me. :redface:

8. mammamaia

a most gracious admission, dom!... kudos to you for having sense enough to see when you weren't making any... ;-)

...and they can just as well be vegetarians, but choose not to...

...again, the simplest solution is to just stop eating our fellow animals or killing them for other uses... the elephant is a vegetarian and it's the largest, most powerful of all the land animals... one of the longest-in-existence current species, as well...

...and too foolish, for thinking they need to eat their own kind, when maintaining a natural balance between animal/vegetable/mineral would work best and is what was originally meant to be... crossing the line and eating/killing off its own kind is what put everything out of whack... regardless of whatever invalid reasons the meat-lovers put forth, it's not impossible to go back to the balanced state... wouldn't even be hard... but of course i don't expect them to... wrongdoing of all kinds is sadly too popular to ever be stopped voluntarily...

9. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

10. Frost

Frost Active Member

Very true. Just out of interest, I'm assuming you're vegetarian yourself?

Got me there...

11. mammamaia

yup!... i'm what i call a 'moral vegetarian'... having been a dumb but happy eater of nearly anything that moves in my old life, i'm now a vegetarian only because i finally realized how wrong it was to, as one of my sisters put it, eat anything 'that had a mother'... as we're animals ourselves, it makes sense to not eat of our own kind, when the plant kingdom provides all we need to be as healthy as--well, elephants... ;-)