1. Asaph Judea Wagner

Asaph Judea Wagner Member

Good Czech Last Name

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Asaph Judea Wagner, Jan 15, 2013.

I encountered the name Vítězslav which means glorious knight in Czech. Is there a good 2-syllable Czech last name to go along with first name?

2. idle

idle Active Member

Do you want it to mean/suggest anything? Is it supposed to be contemporary, or rather historical?

Here's a list of the most common surnames, have a look if you like some of them: http://prijmeni.unas.cz/

And as for Vítězslav, I don't know if it says anything about knights, my source tells me that it means coming from a glorious place. And for contemporaries, the name reminds of "victory".

3. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

Kulic

4. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I've come across a Czech with the surname Lano. Or maybe Novák? (I *think* that's a surname, double check that)

Surnames are a hard one - I remember it took me many years to get to know what British surnames sound like, and even now I'm not particularly creative when it comes to surnames. I'm afraid I can only think of Novotny, Svobodny, and my own, Bakalář, and my friends' surnames but these are the female form and I'm not sure what the male form would be: Tomešová and Marhová.

5. idle

idle Active Member

Yes, Novák is a surname, and the most common one at that. Lano is unusual. For Tomešová, the male form would be Tomeš, for Marhová it would probably be Marha, although I'm not 100 % sure - sometimes you can't tell and it is not a very common one.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

just make sure readers won't have any trouble figuring out how to pronounce them!

7. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický Senior Member

Yeah, it looks like bunch of retards and I come from there