1. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman Contributing Member

Hardest Part to Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Alex_Hartman, Oct 19, 2008.

What do you have the hardest time trying to write?

I know that I have the majority of mine planned out, but I cannot think of a beginning no matter how hard I try. I've spent all summer trying to write different beginnings, but I still haven't really found one.

So, what do you think? Beginning? Middle? End? Characters? Anything else?

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

I tend to fine the beginning of mine start really good, and then it all starts to deterirate from there. After the first chapter or two, my writing gets sloppier, the description less and it juest becomes crappy. I then lose momentum.

If I do manage to get past that stage, I can go on, get right the way through and then be at a loss of how to finish it. I am near the end of the first novel I have goten this far on, and because I have never finished another peice, I do not know how to do it. So I just ... stopped.

3. Alex_Hartman

Hmmm...

What I did since I couldn't think of my beginning was just write what I knew would be in the story later. If you did that then maybe it wouldn't go downhill from the beginning...but I think that it would be hard if they aren't organized...

4. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributing Member Contributor

It depends on the particular story, for me. Sometimes end, sometimes begginning, sometimes middle.

5. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

Varies among my manuscripts, but overall, I find the middle the most difficult to write. The middle is where the most stuff happens.

6. Silver Random

Silver Random Senior Member

Same for me as for you - beginnings

4/5 months since i wrote the prologue to my current work. I've had the basics planned out for most of that, and i just came up with a fairly detailed outline recently. Took me about 2 months to write Chapter 1 though, and then another 2 to do Chapter 2. And while i'm really pleased with my Prologue, i still dont like the first 2 chapters... but now i've started i will hopefully just keep ploughing through, and go back and redraught them later.

7. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Endings.

Not the ending itself, even, so much as just getting to the ending. By the time I've written the first half of the story, I know how it's going to end up, and then I get bored. I know how it ends, after all. I want to go write something new!

I have to force myself to finish stories, or else I'd be buried under a deluge of halfway-done manuscripts.

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I usually have the beginning and the ending figured out before I start writing. It's the large chunk in the middle that gives me a hard time.

9. Kylie

Kylie Contributing Member

I think, for me, it's actually doing it. The writing process itself...comes fairly quickly and easily. :)

10. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Senior Member Contributor

i often find that the middle part, the real meat of the story is the hardest to write. i always, without fail hit a brick wall at 60mp/h when i get here, and it aint pretty:p

11. Ennui

Ennui Member

Characters are marginally perplexing to describe.I am stuck at that point.Characters must be evident but I cannot do it duly.

12. Sephie913

Sephie913 Member

I agree. I get momentum as I go along, but when I hit a bump, roadblock, or detour of any kind, it's hard to watch.

but at the same time, I love just making up things to fill in the story in the middle, and I love connecting the dots, so to speak. I guess it's any part directly before a part I really want to work on.

13. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi Contributing Member

Those weird filling bits between the good stuff. :p

Beginnings are great, love 'em. The Middle is tough but worth the effort and at least there's plenty going on. Ends are always quite satisfying (I'd imagine) but those bits inbetween ARGH!! With travel, or sitting around, or contemplating the next step before actually taking it, or having reached the place waiting for the thing that has to happen next.

I'd put those awkward inbetweeners in Room 101! :D

14. Cheeno

Cheeno Contributing Member

Hmm, I suppose my most difficult moments arise from times of emotional intensity in the story, when I find my emotions almost mirroring what's happening. It can take enormous effort to disentangle myself from the 'reality' of the fiction. Winding-down time can take forever if things are particularly hectic story-wise. Other than that, all's good.:)

15. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

In regards to part, I find the middle part, closer to the climax, the hardest part to write. That's the part I'm at right now and it's killing me. I've built up everything leading toward the climax, and am fairly certain how I want that part to go, but am worried about rushing it by jumping into it too fast--yet at the same time, what if I'm dragging my feet and going too slowly?

I don't have this problem with beginnings, most of the middle, the climax, or the ending. Just the middle part near the climax. That rocky part right near the top of the mountain.

Most of the mechanics of writing (characters, plot, theme, grammar, etc.) I find pretty easy, but that's not to say I write them well. Unless other people speak up I really can't tell for sure.

16. Alex_Hartman

I makes so much sense for the middle-ish part to be the hardest.

The beginning bothers me because that's where everything starts. You could choose a million different settings and times to start out with. Maybe I start with a flashback or a different POV. Maybe it's the weekend, or there is three minutes until third hour starts. Maybe everything starts out okay, but what if it starts out with some sort of conflict? There are tons of ways you could start out, I just haven't figured out which one yet.

17. architectus

architectus Banned

But don't your characters ever suprise you even though you knew the ending? That is what keeps me going. Knowing they will suprise me, and my ending although imagined will not be exactly as I planned.

18. architectus

architectus Banned

For me it is also the middle. For the first 30,000 words, I can bust out 3,000 words a day, then after that I slow down to about 3,000 words every three days. Sometime I hit a block in my day dreaming, and I end up not writing for a few days.

19. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Sure, sometimes a story will take an unexpected twist (especially with as little planning as I manage to do) but by the time I'm halfway through, I know where it's going. You have to, if you're going to get anything coherent written.

If I get to the end and it turns out the opposite of what I've planned, that means I'm a crap writer.

20. Alex_Hartman

Maybe if you write the end first, you won't get bored because then you have to figure out everything that happened to your characters to have everything turn out the way it did. Like a backwards equation.

21. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

Mine are my actions scenes because get caught up in the action when writing and the adrenaline allows me to write too fast and i miss out. Now I try to stay as dispassionate as i can when writing.

22. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 Contributing Member

The hardest part of MY novel to write has been the middle. I knew what I wanted the beginning to be like and I know what I want it to end like, but I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to string it all together. Right now, I've got a few ideas and I'm just building upon the original premise and the basic plot points as I go and its actually been turning it somewhat decent.

23. Alex_Hartman

I also have that problem. I tried to map out my story to see which pieces I already had. Then I realized that not only can I not think of a beginning, but most of my middle isn't really there either. I seriously thought that I had everything, now I realize that I barely have anything.

24. Silver Random

Silver Random Senior Member

Usualyl when i write i deliberately try to leave the middle as flexible as i can lol... the biggest danger for me is that while i am stuck on writing the beginning i will basically complete the story in my head, and will grow bored of it and move onto a new idea, which will tempt me to abandon my current work and start writing a new one. So i try to leave the middle unplanned so i dont lose interest in my own story :p

25. Alex_Hartman

My story didn't even give me that choice. My MC is being annoying, she is determined to have me write her story before I can even think of another!