Help on Proper Emotional Response

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by GuardianWynn, May 28, 2015.

1. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Disbelief is a good one listed above. Think about being separated from a family member and with the thought of never being able to see them again you begin to change and do things you never would do because you're taking out your emotions on the world. And then you unexpectedly see the family member again and you just realize just how much you have changed.

If you watched the Season 5 finale of TWD you'd have a point of reference. I'd say a shock and disbelief and maybe panic would be appropriate.

2. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

What is TWD?

3. TJtheWildChild

TJtheWildChild New Member

I believe it's The Walking Dead.

4. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

As a mom, I'd definitely cry, but it wouldn't be mere joy. I once lost my son for 20 minutes at a crowded pumpkin patch, and thought for sure he had been taken. When my sister finally found him and brought him over to me, sure I cried. But it wasn't your typical cry. I was overwhelmed with relief but there was also a part of me that was crying over lost naivety. In that moment, I was forced to recognize fears I hadn't considered, possibilities I never wanted to acknowledge. I was crying for what could be as much as what wasn't. But what kind of mom is she?

Is she ashamed to see him because of the person she became? I feel like she'd experience similar emotions. Crying out of joy, possibly -- but it'd more complex. She's also feel enormous shame. Trying to reconcile those two is difficult, but if you could write it so it's not on the nose, but the understanding is there, you'd really have a powerful moment in the plot.

ETA: to add to that, you should familiarize yourself with the body language of someone experiencing shame. Maybe she'd be hanging her head, trying not to make eye contact, hesitant to hug him, etc.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    GuardianWynn likes this.
  5. DeathandGrim

The Walking Dead. Spoiler: Two characters finally reunite but one of them has become a much much more vicious person than the first time they met.

6. No-Name Slob

That was a great moment. Does that apply here, though? I feel like in TWD that moment was about them rediscovering each other, both without knowing what was, and finding something other than they expected.

In this situation, the spirit-realm scenario would imply that the son knew all along what kind of person she became, so it'd really be more about her processing those emotions, than them both being shocked by what an awful person she was. It feels as though the OP is setting it up to where she is reunited with him, but he's not necessarily being reunited with her, if you know what I mean?

I dunno, now I'm confusing myself. I suppose it could apply either way, it just depends on the greater context of the story.

7. GuardianWynn

I like your response. Do you mind if we chat more about this in a private message?
    I could give better context. If it isn't any trouble. :)

8. No-Name Slob

Sure! :)

9. J_Downloading

J_Downloading Member

I think you're thinking about this the wrong way. It's not her character which defines her reaction to this but her reaction to this which defines her characters. For example; Is the son the thing grenade pin that held her life stable, and when he was pulled out everything went wrong? Or was his death just an excuse that she told herself to satisfy her dark urges/play the victim?

GuardianWynn likes this.
  10. GuardianWynn

Good way of putting it.
    Her son was indeed the grenade pin holding her life together and without it she kind of went boom. Hurting lots of people in the proccess

11. DeathandGrim

Oh I didn't know the son knew whoops lol

And do you think Season 6 is gonna be good?