How can I get readers to not become fixated on minor characters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ryan Elder, Sep 11, 2016.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Ryan, this is not about what other people can write in fiction. It is about what you can write in fiction. You. Ryan Elder. You.

You, Ryan Elder, do not seem to be willing, or perhaps able, to apply logic to information that you gain from research, or from people that answer your questions. Because you are not willing or able to apply logic, you are not in a position to use information that is not part of your personal experience.

Other writers are willing and able to apply logic, and therefore other writers can write about all sorts of things that are outside their experience.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

But ryan doesnt need them because hs spoken to the police and those officers have told him his plot is perfect*

(*Admittedly what they actually said was " Oh FFS, yes, write what you like but stop asking us the same thing over and over again" but that's very similar to saying that the plot is perfect, so long as you ignore the fact that the words and content are completely different)

3. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Well when I talk to police they say they have seen the most f###d up stuff there is out there, and my story does not come close to what they have seen in real life.

4. ChickenFreak

No. I do not believe that you understand anything that the police have told you.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Talking of writing from his experience there's a plot to be had here about guy who trolls an internet forum posting the same questions over and over again until finally another member suffers a psychotic break and tries to blow up the whole internet. Then in a startling twist the troll actually becomes the hero who tracks down the psychotic "no more no more i say i can't take it" bad guy and saves the internet for truth justice and the american way :D

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hey, Ryan. I've been reading this thread and getting more and more lost in the convolutions.

I'm assuming here that you are not a troll, and are genuinely struggling with a plot problem in your story. There is only one answer. You must work it out for yourself.

Attempting to brainstorm every little detail into perfection here on the forum, with other people providing infinite sounding boards for all your potential mistakes is avoiding the issue. You see a problem in your plot, YOU need to work it out and decide what is best. It's part of the joy of writing, actually. Creating a problem, and solving it. That 'eureka' moment when the solution falls into place. That 'why didn't I think of that before' feeling. That's powerful, and it only comes from within yourself.

You need to take the training wheels off the bike. If you are capable of discovering holes in other people's suggestions, then you are perfectly capable of seeing the holes in your own. Concentrate on plugging the holes you find, not arguing about them on the forum, or wondering if they are 'okay' to leave. Just plug them as soon as you find them.

Even if a fact is 100% true, if it doesn't SOUND true, readers aren't going to believe it. The writer's job is to make their story sound believable. Either here in the real world, or within the structure of an imaginary world. As an author, you can't stand somewhere offstage as your reader works his way through your story, saying : But that's what my research/police TOLD me was true. You have to believe it! If your story doesn't come across as believable, it won't be believed. So make it believable. That's your job as a writer.

HOW you plug plot holes and create believability is up to you. If you suspect your minor character might need a better reason to do what he does, then create one. It's simple. Just do it. On the other hand, if you want to leave things as they are and hope readers won't notice the believability gap, then do what you can to disguise it. You don't need our approval. Just do it.

And move on.

I'm not being nasty here. I genuinely believe you need to stop expecting others to feed you ideas and help you solve all your story problems and/or vindicate your choices by reassuring you that you're not making any mistakes. Writing is all about having ideas of your own and fearlessly putting them out for other people to share—mistakes and all—in the form of a finished piece of fiction.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Sifunkle, Lifeline and big soft moose like this.
  7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

@jannert I hope he listens to you. I said pretty much the same thing a long time ago and it was ignored, as is anything Ryan doesn't want to hear. A big part of the reason he's in this mess with the story is these incessant forum posts trying to work out every detail of the story by committee when that's what he is supposed to be doing as an author.

Sifunkle and jannert like this.
  8. jannert

Here's hoping....

9. big soft moose

Ive said the same thing before and so's chicken freak - the fact that he continually ignores it is what makes me wonder if this is just a troll job and one for the mods

10. big soft moose

Indeed - in particular i don't think that Ryan understands that while theres a lot of fucked up behaviour by criminals out there in real life (in terms of extreme behavior the actions of MS13 take a lot of beating) , the fact that the police see the worst of society doesnt excuse writing trite and unbelievable plot points - yes some criminals are deeeply stupid - the bloke who went to the police to complain that the cocaine he'd bought as of insufficient quality springs to mind, but stupid criminals don't last long enough to run succesful gangs)

it also doesnt excuse writing plot poits where the behaviour of the police themselves is fucked up or stupid

11. big soft moose

For general interest it may also be worth picking up the point about how you research stuff that hasnt happened in real life - most authors have this (for example my wip is about special forces fighting in a world decmated by plague - none of that has happened ) , however the key is to basse your flights of fancy on things that have happened and apply your research to that

so in my case a lot of the special forces action, terms, dialogue etc is based on the Comand and Control opperations in vietnam (deniable comando raids into laos and cambodia by US special forces) which did happen

so if I were writing ryans book i wouldnt look for cases where a cop had been raped by a female gang banger or fakely staged blood ins, but I would research into how cops behave, how gang units work, the actions of various gangs, how gang initiation works (there are some really fucked up videos on youtube - don't eat first),the psychology of rape and rapists both perpetrators and victims , and how the court system works.

Of course thats a lot of work , so it might be easier to just watch a couple of films and start a shitload of threads hoping other people will do your research for you ;)

12. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Okay thanks. I will do additional research. I feel I am going against the norm though, cause when writing screenplays, a lot of thriller movies, have cops and gangs going against the norm, and behaving in ways that are unrealistic, in order to generate suspense. Every movie I have watched for example, always has liberties put it in, to make the story go, where the writers wanted it to go. So I feel I am going against the norm, by applying real life circumstances. And lots of movies have stupid police as well.

One cop I have gotten a lot of info from said that no novel he read, or movie he watched, had accurate depictions of police work and it's all made up, and that I should take liberties as well. But if that's true, then why can't I have a gang that behaves unrealistically, or cop that does?

13. ChickenFreak

You have not understood any of what I have said.

14. big soft moose

Why are you surprised ?

It's probably not even worth pointing out that there's a difference between behaving unrealistically in fiction ( a maverick cop like say dirty harry or Harry Bosch) , and behaving implausibly ( a cop so stupid that he gets kidnapped and raped by a woman motivated by not being able to get sex because she's so ugly)

Personally i don't believe any of these cops Ryan supposedly talks to actually exist outside his imagination , because if they did they would surely have pointed out some of huge glaring inaccuracies in plot and charecterisation

15. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Okay thanks. Some of the cops have pointed out inaccuracies, but not in the blood in, or laying charges without a victim specifically. So the part about the cop being unrealistic is being lured into the trap to get raped, right? Is that the problem with him?

16. jannert

Work it out for yourself, Ryan. It's got nothing to do with whether or not a thing can or can't happen. It's all about whether or not the readers of your story BELIEVE it can happen. Make them believe it, whatever it is.

17. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Okay thanks. Well when it comes to the case not going to court at all, where as I wanted it to go to a preliminary hearing to get that courtroom atmosphere, I did some research and I found out that a preliminary hearing is only 15 days after the arraignment. That is quite short so maybe I could make it work, if it's that short.

jannert likes this.
  18. jannert

So do it! And good luck to you. You've spent a lot of time and research on this issue. So be confident, and get it written.

19. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

This has been an entertaining read over my morning coffee. Entertaining and slightly maddening.

Ryan, I haven't read any of the other threads mentioned but as has been pointed out by other posters, who have the patience of Saints, you need to step back from posting on this forum and actually write some of your story. You can't expect to pester fellow writers to do research for you.

20. big soft moose

End of the day Ryan, everything is the problem with this plot, we could write a 100k word treatise and not cover every issue , but the core problem is with your understanding and interpretation of what you are told , we see it here with us, and I'd be willing to bet that it also applies to when cops and lawyers and other sources tell you stuff too

For example

You are told that police work is often not accurately portrayed in fiction - which is absolutely true, police work is in general not at all glamourous or exciting and a book or film that covered what police work is really like would be desperately dull (even documentaries tend to only show the exciting highlights) , so no real cop has ever stuck a magnum 44 in a culprits face and said "did I fire 6 bullets or only 5, so the question is do you feel lucky ? well do you , punk ?" because that is a violation of god knows how many laws and procedures - in reality Harry Calahan would have been dismissed from the force for all the shit he pulled and be lucky to avoid jail, but the fact that is not realistic doesnt matter, because it is plausible for the character, and people like the character because he embodies how they would like to be able to behave.... this is not the case with your MC who based on your descriptions here is basically boring, unsympathetic , and stupid.

You are told that gangs conduct blood ins - which they absolutely do (the other categories are beat ins - a new gang member proves he is hard by being beaten by gang members, jack ins - a new gang member proves himself my stealing a given object and sexed ins - female gang members prove themselves by having multiple partner sex with the gang ), however a blood in is what i described earlier - the gang member kills a designated person. Gangs don't mess about like you've described, and they certainly don't hold fake blood ins and all that goes with that in your plot - so again it is implausible and trying for the reader/viewer

You are told that serial rape occurs - which it does although its pretty rare , however you then create a completely implausible sceneraio where the rapist selects a cop for no good reason, dupes him (because cops are easy to fool), leaves him alive afterwards, and is motivated by the fact that shes really ugly

and so on , for another 80 or 100 points

Your basic problem is that you arent asking your sources the right questions (or listening properly to what they tell you) for example rather than asking a cop "is it plausible that blood ins occur ?" tell him exactly what you are planning.. when hes finished laughing he'll tell you exactly what you've been told here , that its over complicated, implausible rubbish.

You other main problem is that you arent sailing your own ship - you keep making the excuse that " I can't do XYZ because it doesnt work for the plot" when the reality is that you are in control of the plot - if the plot means that something you want to do doesnt work you can change it so it does

Anyway that really is my last post on this - I wish you luck with your screen play and i'll be happy to read and critique excerpts if you post them in the workshop when you've actually written something , but i'm not engaging in any more tedious argument on these repetetive threads

21. ChickenFreak

Y'know, I think that I just tipped over into the "you're deliberately trolling" camp, where I was undecided before. This post packs SO MUCH "I didn't read a word any of you said, nyah, nyah!" into such a small space that it's hard to come to any other conclusion.

22. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Okay thank you very much for the input. I don't mean to argue, I just saw a lot of holes in the suggestions but I see what you mean now, as to why that is. Sorry for arguing. I guess I just need to create suspension of disbelief, like other screenplays do then.

I mean if I want the blood in to be fake, like in the in examples I have done before, I just have to sell it I guess. Or if I want the cop to be fooled, I just have to sell it, as well. I also did show the cops and lawyers the exact outline of the story. They didn't say if they thought it was good or bad. They just said what would happen legally in this, this, and this, so I made the changes according to them. But I did show them the whole outline, and the scenarios.

It's funny you say it is over-complicated cause the cops said it was overly simplistic and I left too many details out, that I put in later. Some other people said it was over complicated as well. But I find this strange, cause a screenplay, has to last at least 90 pages long, so I would need a situation that has enough meat in it, to last that long. That's the strange part. If I think of an idea, a dozen consequences could naturally come out of it, so why not have them, rather than deny them, I feel. But I will write it out more and perhaps post it later. When you say post excerpts, do you mean just scenes on their own, or will that be too tough to follow without seeing the entire thing?

23. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Take note of the bolded passages. That is the core of your issue. As has been said ad nauseam, this is writing by committee and it will get you nowhere. I'll take one more stab at this.

Go write your screenplay. It's that simple. Just go write it. See what happens. Address whatever issues in revision. You've paralyzed yourself because you insist on letting other people write your screenplay for you. And, frankly, you've alienated yourself from a lot of potential help when (if) you do actually write this thing.

24. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Well I thought the point of researching from the police and lawyers is to write what they say, cause they know better about it. When you say I have alienated myself from help are you saying that the finished product is now compromised likely, for receiving feedback on when it's finished?

25. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Has it helped you to write your screenplay? It doesn't look like it has. It's just complicated everything for you.

GO WRITE YOUR SCREENPLAY.